Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5496 - 11/13/03 02:04 PM theater room acoustics
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
Well, I am building my theater now. Using the "golden ratios" for room dimensions, I am going to build my room to be 7'-3" high, 11'-7 1/4" wide, and 16'-10 3/4" long. The screen will be 96"X56" and I am planning to simply have 2 rows of 4 theater seats in the room. From what I have read, the dimensions I have chosen are best (as a ratio of 1:1.6:2.33) for minimizing room peaks and nodes. In conjunction with the room size, I also will be using my trusty BFD to further smooth the room response.

These measures should really tame the bass response (hopefully to nearly ruler flat!), but what about the rest of the spectrum. I have read that room reflections are what generally muddy the sound of even the best systems, so how should I treat my walls. Do I leave the front wall solid, to allow reflections towards the seating, and then deaden the ceiling, side and rear walls to eliminate reflected sound? Do I leave a portion of the side walls un-deadened to allow some reflected sound?

I had Kind of leaned towards the first idea. If you are outside, the sound only comes from the one direction. Any sound that should sound reflected, such as bounced off a building or the lively reflections in a gymnasium, should (I would think), be re-created by the surround speakers and therefore I would want all walls deadened. Then I wonder if I can get good width and depth imaging if the front wall is deadened. I am leaning towards a stiff front wall that will reflect sound, much like an ampitheater. Perhaps the front wall, and the first four feet of the side walls and ceiling should be reflective. This would provide for a reflective depth, width, and height, without being so far out as to allow first reflections to be directed at the listening positions.

I have read that there should be a balance between reflective and absorptive materials, but I have never read any good "tried and true" facts. Anyone have any good actual designs that are proven to sound great?

#5497 - 11/13/03 02:48 PM Re: theater room acoustics
RayBan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Lawn
I know achieving an acustically perfect room is nothing short of good science! I believe you will not want the front wall to be reflective. I think you would be better off with a reflective back wall and absorbing front wall. No doubt I over simplified it but I'l stick to my origonal statement - a non reflective front wall

#5498 - 11/13/03 09:54 PM Re: theater room acoustics
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#5499 - 11/15/03 11:14 AM Re: theater room acoustics
gb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Parker, CO
Will,

I have almost the the exact size rooom, with a 9.5 ft. ceiling. To give you an idea of my setup, I am using the 950/755 amp combo, along with an M200 for Dolby EX and DTS-ES 6 channel material in this room. I have Paradigm Studio Reference 60's in front, a Studio Reference Center Channel Speaker for both front and rear centers, along with the Paradigm Studio ADP's for surrounds. I have one Paradigm 2200 Sub running as well. I installed a 92" Stewart Firehawk Screen on the front wall for my Sharp DLP.

Initially, I ran this setup without any sound treatment in the room, and it was painful. Too much power, reflection, slap echo, etc. for this small room. At the end of a movie our ears would be ringing from the sound pressure.

Recently, I had acoustical treatment installed, and it makes an amazing difference. The front two-thirds of the room having sound absorbing materials, covered by a CF Stinson fabric, and the back third of the room is reflective wood, covered by the same fabric. The results are dramatic! I think this is pretty close to the recommended THX setup.

The dialogue in movies sound much better, SACD, DVD-Audio material, and regular CD's all sound great as well. You might consider this setup.

By the way, I built a platform two-thirds of the way back in the room for theater seating, thinking I would put in two rows of either 3 or 4 seats like you are considering. We just put in a row of 4 seats on the platform, and I think we are going to stop with these. I think the front row may be too close to the screen, because in our room the optimal viewing position is about 12-13 feet from the screen.

Best of luck with your setup. I know it will provide countless hours of enjoyment.

gb

#5500 - 11/16/03 12:52 AM Re: theater room acoustics
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
thanks gb!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts