Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#54575 - 06/13/05 07:59 PM Re: Interesting 990 comparison
CJL1138 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: McKinney, TX
Amen Trikos, and my apologies to any who took offence at my attempt at satirizing the remarks from the AVS forum.

#54576 - 06/14/05 10:33 AM Re: Interesting 990 comparison
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Never underestimate people's defensiveness when the reputation of their expensive toys are on the line. Because, you know, you're less of a man if all of those "hobbyist losers" with their inexpensive imported Asian gear think their stuff sounds as good as your boutique Canadian gear. :rolleyes:

I'm not knocking Anthem or any other company for that matter. I'm just sort of fed up with people's attitudes. I'm an Outlaw owner, but I don't necessarily think they make the absolute best gear on the planet bar none (like some might). But I do happen to feel they offer a lot of value. Sure, I like drooling over some of the boutique stuff because it's often very pretty or very well made, or indeed even sounds better than my gear. But having other expensive hobbies means drawing the line somewhere, and I don't feel like I'm compromising too much by going with Outlaw. On the contrary, I feel like my money is pretty well spent.

#54577 - 06/14/05 11:01 AM Re: Interesting 990 comparison
jcmccorm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, AL, USA
Well said! I agree completely.

Cary

#54578 - 06/14/05 11:28 AM Re: Interesting 990 comparison
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Prefect, that is a perfect post! Very well said. I tend to stay at this board and AV123's because the level of immaturity/insecurity this hobby seems to bring out in some grown adults is regrettable.

#54579 - 06/14/05 12:23 PM Re: Interesting 990 comparison
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by obie_fl:
I used to have a lot of respect for Robert George but he flushed it all away with that comment.
Indeed, as someone who used to follow his "Obi's Reviews" column on a regular basis, it is truly disappointing to read Robert's bigoted comments (not to mention his ad hominem laced follow-up).

On the positive side, I thought that a lot of effort and care was put into making sure that the comparison was done as fairly as possible (short of having one of those ABX boxes available). Cary was open to suggestions from other posters and candid about methodology; can't ask anything for more.

#54580 - 06/14/05 01:04 PM Re: Interesting 990 comparison
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
I like AVS because there are a lot of very knowledgable posters over there. It seems that it's mostly in certain groups on the forum where the genitalia-size-comparison-contests occur. For example, things tend to be pretty mellow in the builder groups. Heck, even the DLP vs LCD debates don't seem to generate as much vitriol as I've seen spewed forth about Outlaw and other high bang/buck type companies.

Thankfully most people seem to be pretty reasonable. I even met someone there who lived near me and was generous enough to give me half a roll of duct liner material for my acoustical treatments!

Everyone needs to chill, take a step back, and remember that it's supposed to be all about the movies, music and fun.

#54581 - 06/14/05 02:01 PM Re: Interesting 990 comparison
jcmccorm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, AL, USA
Robert's comments really surprised me. Even if the Anthem sounded clearly superior to the 990 he would have been out of line. Given that they sound so similar, his comments are something worse.

I'm hoping he was just having a bad day. A comment like that motivated by blind loyalty to something because he paid more for it is out of place in a forum dedicated to "spreading the word" and sharing our A/V experiences.

Cary

#54582 - 06/14/05 02:59 PM Re: Interesting 990 comparison
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

What I find amusing is just about anyone doing an actual comparison between gear and then posting their “opinions” inevitably turns into a debate about double blind testing.

#54583 - 06/15/05 04:46 PM Re: Interesting 990 comparison
readster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bartlesville, OK USA
Anthem is pretty much known for their bang for the buck also, The avm20 and avm30 are really pretty reasonably priced, expecially if you can find one used. just throwin that in there.

#54584 - 06/16/05 02:22 AM Re: Interesting 990 comparison
Logain Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by readster:
Anthem is pretty much known for their bang for the buck also, The avm20 and avm30 are really pretty reasonably priced, expecially if you can find one used. just throwin that in there.
correct me if I am wrong but arent you talking about several thousand dollars deference?

Anthem seem to be great stuff but for the price of one you can get a 990 and a amp.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 163 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts