Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5445 - 07/23/03 10:23 AM The future of SACD
Bassman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: UK
Seems to me it will be superceded by DVD- Audio, so not much point in having it given current limited avavilability of source material.

#5446 - 07/23/03 04:58 PM Re: The future of SACD
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Hmmm...I think this article says something a little different. Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
We've also got a couple of interesting bits of news this morning. First of all, the SACD format seems to be stepping up the attack on DVD-Audio. According to High Fidelity Review, the second-generation, SACD II format is set to be introduced later this year. This will be basically identical to current SACD, but will add enhanced video features like current DVD-Audio, and will also add even more robust copy-protection measures.

In addition, in a move to build on SACD's already impressive success, producers and hardware manufacturers have organized a semiformal cross-industry forum of music labels. This new SACD "forum" will work to create and promote more music releases on the format.

You can find the links for this article at:

www.thedigitalbits.com

#5447 - 07/23/03 06:30 PM Re: The future of SACD
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I own a dvd-a player (by default; I just liked the dvd player) but if I was going to choose which one I wanted based on the software, I would choose SACD. SACD seems to have more current and classic rock than dvd-a. I have a real hard time finding albums I like on DVD-A and the fact that a lot of SACD's can be played in regular CD players is an enormous advantage IMO. Can't comment on sound quality because I have only heard one format.

#5448 - 07/24/03 04:40 AM Re: The future of SACD
Bassman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

More than a couple of UK dealers think SACD will have a short lifespan compared to DVD Audio. But what do they know?

#5449 - 07/24/03 05:39 AM Re: The future of SACD
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Even if SACD is technically superior, it doesn't mean the format will win out. Recall (Sony's) Betamax format, for example.

I think the real threat is consumer confusion. If Sony's going to keep changing formats, that could work to their detriment, even if the changes are improvements.

Jeff

#5450 - 07/24/03 08:34 AM Re: The future of SACD
Oaf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver,British Columbia, Ca...
I think you have it right D'Arbignal ... the marketers of DVD-A had a great idea by associating the multi-channel standard to DVD video which is highly recognizable as superiour quality in its field (and yes I know that DVD-A is really just an accurate description of the medium, Digital Versitile Disc - Audio, but they could have called it anything ) If they had gone with something like CD-5 or CD+, they probably could have gotten better customer recognition. But are we really talking about SACD being a superior sounding format to DVD-A? I haven't seen definitive comments one way or the other, from what I read, the variances in mastering quality mask the differences in format by far.

#5451 - 07/24/03 11:23 AM Re: The future of SACD
Bassman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Here's what Arcam thinks in response to a mail I sent them>

I was thinking of buying a DV27A, but it doesn't seem to support SACD for
some reason. Is this true, and is there any reason for the omission?
BR
Phil
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dear Phil,

This is completely true Arcam as a company does not support SACD and we have no intention of doing so. We have given 100% commitment to DVD-A not only because it is a faster growing format and that every music company except sony has committed to DVD-A, we also feel it has much more potential in the market place as the format that finally topples the mighty CD from the top spot will not be another CD format it will be DVD based. Not that I am saying this will be the current DVD-A but it will be a relative of it. Another CD based format cannot win this war as allot of budget manufacturers are dropping CD players from their ranges and producing DVD players only. We just feel that SACD was defeated before it had started and although it is a good format and there are people that enjoy it it is a fact that DVD-A is out selling it by 10 - 1 and when we produced a survey of our customers we found that 79% wanted DVD-A, 10% wanted SACD and 11% were not interested and that was the basis of it all.
I hope this sheds some light on it.

Regards
> Matt Frost
> Customer Support
>
> Tel:+ 44 (0) 1223 203 203
> Fax: +44 (0) 1223 863 384
>
> Arcam
> Pembroke Avenue
> Waterbeach
> Cambridge
> CB5 9PB

#5452 - 07/24/03 12:57 PM Re: The future of SACD
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Originally posted by Bassman:
Here's what Arcam thinks in response to a mail I sent them>

We have given 100% commitment to DVD-A not only because it is a faster growing format and that every music company except sony has committed to DVD-A, we also feel it has much more potential in the market place as the format that finally topples the mighty CD from the top spot will not be another CD format it will be DVD based.

Of course sony supports SACD, it created the format. "Every music company" is a bit of an exageration.
Quote:

Another CD based format cannot win this war as allot of budget manufacturers are dropping CD players from their ranges and producing DVD players only.

IMHO, it would be suicide for companies to produce DVD players that in some way do not support CD playback in the present market and probably for the next 5 years plus. CD has been entrenched as the consumer format for around 20 years and it isn't going away anytime soon as much as some companies would want it to.
Quote:

We just feel that SACD was defeated before it had started and although it is a good format and there are people that enjoy it it is a fact that DVD-A is out selling it by 10 - 1 and when we produced a survey of our customers we found that 79% wanted DVD-A, 10% wanted SACD and 11% were not interested and that was the basis of it all.

One companies feeling does not a format make. According to reports that I've read, neither format is selling all that well. Also, I think there may be some consumer confusion in there survey to exactly what each format is. An uninformed consumer may pick DVD-A just because it has DVD in its title.

Of course, you can take all of this as my thoughts and feelings on the matter just as Arcam has their thoughts and feelings.

My personal feeling is that both formats need better marketing, cheaper players, and more titles. I completely agree with Jeff that consumer confusion is going to bring down these formats faster than anything else. That would be a shame as technology has allowed us to get beyond 16/44.1.

#5453 - 07/24/03 04:37 PM Re: The future of SACD
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Bassman, it might be worth doing a little more research on the viability of SACD and whether it will "survive" before you completely take it off your list. Limited availibility of material? I believe there are around 1500-2000 titles now available in SACD format- and growing every day. If you look here you will find a list of more than 180 labels that have SACD releases available. The DVD-A list shows approximately 80 record labels currently producing recordings in that format. Both are growing. Arcam is a fine Company and is entitled to their reasons regards SACD and as to whether they want to produce equipment for it. However, you might want to contact Linn, (Linn Products, LTD) another fine Company in the UK, and get their take on the subject. This is an article they have on their Linn Records site you might want to see. You will also notice they have produced many recordings is SACD. So-- who is right? My 2 cents says they will both survive. And we will see more universal players in the future capable of playing both formats. Chips are cheap! In the end, you pays your money and takes your chances! Go with what you feel comfortable with ! Best wishes...

#5454 - 07/24/03 06:25 PM Re: The future of SACD
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Jason,
Quote:
it would be suicide for companies to produce DVD players that in some way do not support CD playback
I think you're misinterpreting that quote. Companies are dropping production of CD only players specifically because every DVD player supports CD playback. With more and more people owning DVD players, it makes very little sense to have a separate player just for CDs. I seriously doubt that any manufacturer is considering producing a DVD player that can't play CDs.

Sanjay

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts