Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#5428 - 07/10/03 04:53 PM Re: Tying to help update AV long distance: Perplexed ?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That sounds like good news to me. If it's bare wire, I would not want to solder on plugs, but I also seriously doubt that a transmitter like that would need or even want an amplified signal -- the delivery guys will almost certainly find good ol' red and white RCA's. The speakers most likely do the amplification, much like PC speakers. That's what the Recoton speakers 73Bruin found a link to appear to do, and that is also how the wireless outdoor speaker I have works; the speaker(s) have a power source for receiving the signal and for a little amp with volume control.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#5429 - 07/15/03 02:42 PM Re: Tying to help update AV long distance: Perplexed ?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Gonk, (since you’ve recently spent time on the topic) I hate to bother you, but if you have a minute. I’m lost on video cam equipment.

Finally got the camera model the girlfriend owns: JVC GR-SXM515

What little I’ve pulled up on it, doesn’t show me connectivity. (it appears to be a model launched in 99)

Do you think that the new Panasonic DMR-E80 could interface readily (easily for transfers) with that model camera? In other words can you plug direct from camera into the E-80 for download to 80’s harddrive, or do you have to transfer to VHS tape and go through the VHS deck to do it?
Since I never got around to any kind of camcorder purchase downloading to VHS, I.m fairly lost on how this works with no idea how the new DVD recordables intermesh.

And secondly how do you feel about using either the E50? (I believe it was) or the E80 as their primary DVD-V player? They are at a keep it simple level of HT. I don’t think I can convince them that they should pick up a dedicated player for better video. I know they would end by using the E50 as the sole player.
I felt it a great purchase idea for them, since they do record so much equine footage for various purposes, and the advantages of the DVD media storage (chpt skip etc) seem attractive (in theory).

#5430 - 07/15/03 03:27 PM Re: Tying to help update AV long distance: Perplexed ?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Their JVC is an S-VHS-C camera (found a little info here on it), which means that it will have S-video and composite video outputs and a mono audio output (maybe a stereo output, but I wouldn't expect it). That would very easily connect directly to the DMR-E80, either using one of the two rear inputs or the single front input -- they could leave the cable hooked up to the back all the time or leave the cable in the camera case and hook it up to both the camera and the recorder. Since it isn't a mini-DV camera, there's no need to pursue a DV input unless they are about to replace this camera (which I'm guessing is not the case). With the DMR-E80, they could transfer to the hard drive and edit if they want, or they could transfer directly to DVD-R -- the hard drive appeals to me, but they might not necessarily need it (in which case the DMR-E50 would work).

As a dedicated DVD player, I would not be as good a performer as your RP91 (judging from the little info I've seen on the HS2), but it would certainly be a starting point that would give them everything in a single box -- DVD playback (including progressive scan, even if it may not be the best prog scan), DVD recording, and CD transport.

I'm probably going to get my DMR-E80 from Profeel , since they have one of the better prices available and were quick to respond to a couple questions I had.

------------------

#5431 - 07/15/03 04:47 PM Re: Tying to help update AV long distance: Perplexed ?
Desperado

DV, does this bring up an issue? Never having LOOKED at camcorders. I assume DV stands for Digital Video, and did note trying to pull up a pic of what IS a DV connected camera, that they appear to all come quipped with firewire.

GASHES TEETH, (I’m so tired of trying to make different media’s and sources etc …mesh).and the ongoing DVI-HDCP VS FIREWIRE mishmash.

IF they break the camera …they’ll replace it. Are all cameras going towards DV? Increasing odds when it IS replaced they will end up with a DV camera and if the Panny E80 is still rolling it won’t have that connectivity.

The Misty they purchased does NOT have firewire. Yet (if they ever choose) they may/not add the Promise Module which will include firewire.

When I pull up the specs on the DMR-E80H it has no DV input (assuming DV input = Firewire port?).
Why on earth did Panasonic leave it off. The DMR-HS2 comes with it, also the DMR-E60S.

#5432 - 07/15/03 05:20 PM Re: Tying to help update AV long distance: Perplexed ?
gonk Offline
Desperado

This'll really get those teeth a'gnashin... As you've deduced, DV is yet another name for IEEE-1394, I mean Firewire, I mean i-Link, I mean... A significant number of the current generation of camcorders are miniDV -- digital video recorded to a tape. Those cameras include a firewire output in addition to the standard analog outputs (composite, s-video, analog audio). The HS2 and E60 both include a firewire port, which can be used to transfer video from a source (camcorder or computer) to the recorder. The E50 and E80 lack this port in an attempt to keep the cost down; the upcoming E100 (due in the fall with either an 80GB or 120GB hard drive) will also have a DV port.

In the event that the existing JVC suffers a fatal drop, a DV camera could still be connected to the DMR-E80. It would introduce a D-A conversion a little sooner than would otherwise be the case if the DV interface were used to transfer the video to the DVD recorder's hard drive. It's probably not a deal-breaker, but if there is some concern you could always fall back to a DMR-E60 (no hard drive) or a scarce (discontinued) DMR-HS2, both of which have a front panel DV port. I'm not sure if the DV port would work with the Mitsu or not, especially on the HS2 ( a Mitsu TV owner who is trying it , another brief thread on the subject ).

------------------

#5433 - 07/15/03 07:27 PM Re: Tying to help update AV long distance: Perplexed ?
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Lena: Are you sure the Mitsubishi your friends bought doesn't support Firewire/IEEE-1394? It was my understanding that Mitsubishi was standing almost alone in its continued support of that technology (for HDTV input) and was using it to connect their HD VCR's to their TV's?
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#5434 - 07/15/03 08:55 PM Re: Tying to help update AV long distance: Perplexed ?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by 73Bruin:
It was my understanding that Mitsubishi was standing almost alone in its continued support of that technology (for HDTV input) and was using it to connect their HD VCR's to their TV's?
Correct: it's called the "promise module" and can be retrofitted to the back of Mitsubishi hi-def TVs.

Sanjay

#5435 - 07/15/03 09:03 PM Re: Tying to help update AV long distance: Perplexed ?
Desperado

Gonk, thank you for letting me abuse your valuable time on topics I should (and normally) spend my own time researching. (how cameras plug-in to whatever). One: I appreciate SO much you clarifying that the camera will interface with the recorder (one way or the other). But GOSH, how utterly depressing this whole subject is.. Illustrating the boat future consumers will find themselves in for a long while. COOL , I’ve got that DVI thingy….Oh ….I don’t have it on anything else to hook it up too. Oh but I have firewire on THIS, …oh well don’t own anything else with firewire on it either. …but maybe I can plug this ole RGB termination into something!!!!.

I’ve still got my lonely DVI input unused on my Sony LCD, since I returned the HD200, -(one reason I’m itching for the Bravo D1 demo).
It’s really far too ridiculous. I had to convince the GF, that just because she bought a display that was HD capable, did not mean she owned a DIGITAL input/output display. She got very indignant and wanted to know why the Electronics salespeople are not explaining this all more thoroughly to lay people during current purchases.

She really was incensed when she found out the new HD is not capable of any kind of future straight digital path connectivity. (She vaguely assumed the label “HD capable” sounding like the latest greatest to her, - meant next several years digital products would be compatible) If their current purchase stays for years…..she might be forced to the Promise module upgrade, depending on what comes down the pike via broadcasters in connection with the new CP flags. Oh well.

Yes Bruin, unfortunately it’s the MITWS65311, you have to ADD the upgrade for a paltry 1000 dollars!

PS. She called me Saturday while crunched up behind her new display, (I had family member in hosp) could not go to the ranch this last weekend. And we got her 2 remote speakers back on line., via me and the OUTLAW tech support! BIG THANKS TO ALL THE OUTLAWS who helped salvage her bleeding eardrums!!!! Sadly I could not walk her through reconnecting her OTA feed, she was having trouble understanding me on that topic. The ‘highly trained’ delivery crew, dropped off the display leaving the old one sitting there, and ONLY hooked up their satellite feed. Leaving the few other items they had - remote speakers/VHS/OTA channels unconnected. She called me this AM and told me she stopped back in at her point of purchase. (She got a 48.00 credit towards a future purchase, after informing the manager she was not pleased with her 100 dollar ‘professional’ setup delivery fee after having to call a GIRL to find out how to hook the speakers back up when the setup crew stated it couldn’t be done!) Again THANK you guys!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users