Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#54145 - 09/28/05 06:03 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
kwoodrow Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Arlington, VA
Prefect:
It may be possible, using the macro logic available in CQC, to mimic discrete commands by reacting to the feedback provided by the device. In other words, b/c the serial port constantly sends out status information, the software would know what the current surround settings are and would know when the proper surround setting had been reached (even though it would have to toggle through them to get there). In other words, the existence of two-way feedback makes many things possible, as long as you have software with the capability of applying logic to the return data. I have no doubt that CQC could do this.
- Ken

#54146 - 09/29/05 09:41 AM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Ken,

I'm working with Dean at CQC as well to evaluate the beta 990 driver. I haven't purchased CQC yet, but I like what I've seen so far in my evaluation.

I've been messing around with creating an interface just to test out the 990 driver. A few quirks here and there, but CQC seems to be doing its job.

The latest bit of odd behavior is that when I send the "select DVD input" command, I get video 1. When I send "select video 4" I get DVD. Some of the other video inputs are messed up too. I'll email Dean about it.

Doing a macro to iterate through the settings is what I was thinking. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to get everything that I can do from the remote & front panel to work through CQC. For example, if I've got some DTS material playing, I can send commands to switch between DTS and DTS:Neo 6 and that works fine, but I'm not able to change the Dolby modes (which I believe are controlling how the rear channels are decoded in a 7.1 setup). I can do that from the remote.

Also, I haven't been able to get things like turning the front panel dimmer on/off to work, though that is probably my own unfamiliarity with CQC.

Overall it's pretty cool though. My current thinking is that I'm going to run CQC on my HTPC, using Zoom Player to play back content out of the DVI output to my projector, and the VGA output will connect to a Xenarc or Lilliput 8" touchscreen. The touchscreen will be set up as the primary display and will contain the desktop and run the CQC interface. If I can make it work, the projector will never show desktop or menus, just content. Much more cinematic in my opinion.

#54147 - 09/29/05 12:52 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
kwoodrow Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Arlington, VA
Prefect:

Alan Gouger at AVSForum is doing exactly what you describe -- running CQC on his HTPC and using a Xenarc touchscreen to control his projector and pre/pro from his theater chair. Very Captain Kirk.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=584418&highlight=cqc]

I have not noticed the DVD/Video 4 anomaly that you mentioned; if I did, I may have just chalked it up to how I had my audio/video inputs assigned. But if it is a bug, Dean will doubtless fix it and provide us both with an updated driver.

I have not started writing the macros necessary for my HT; I'm still perfecting my user interfaces (which becomes addictive) and working on getting my TiVo under control with the USB-UIRT driver.

If you (or Dean) manage to work out a macro for cycling through the audio formats, please share it!

- Ken

#54148 - 10/03/05 12:16 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

Just thought I'd post a little teaser with the CQC interface I'm cooking up. This is just a proof of concept thing to test out the driver that I've been working on for the 990.

Still running into some things that are surely 990 bugs in the protocol implementation. These are not just things that I wish the protocol had implemented, but outright bugs like crossover points for rear surrounds not being reported properly, and other documented commands having no effect at all. I'll be sending in a formal list to Outlaw support soon.

#54149 - 10/03/05 12:28 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Very nice, Prefect - I like what you're doing here.

#54150 - 12/18/05 12:36 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New City, New York, USA
Does anyone know how to send a serial command via the Windows XP hyperterminal program??

1. Is a straight through or modem db9 cable needed?

2. How does one get commands to be typed into the Hyperterminal program?? After opening up this program, nothing is displayed when typing anything. I tried to type in the serial command for the 990 (eg, power on), but as noted, I cannot get anything to display in the dialog box of this program, when typing. Am I missing something here?? I am not familiar with sending commands via hyperterminal, so this MAY be the problem. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks!

#54151 - 12/19/05 08:12 AM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
gband Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central NJ
You need to turn on 'echo on' in hyperterminal to see what your typing. Not sure if you need a null modem cable but I suspect you do. Also other parameters in hyperterminal may need to be set up such as bit rate, stop bits, etc. It will work if everything is set up correctly.

#54152 - 12/19/05 12:22 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks gband for the getback...

You were right, the commands can now be seen. I will try to see later today if the 990 can respond, and will post the findings.

#54153 - 12/19/05 04:45 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

You won't be able to send commands to the 990 or parse its output in Hyperterminal. It's a binary protocol that requires you to form packets and generate a checksum.

You'll need to write code to talk to it properly. You could always download a demo of CQC from charmedquark.com and try out the 990 driver that Dean and I wrote.

#54154 - 12/19/05 06:06 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the heads up....

I was hoping it wouldn't require a separate program, as the goal was to use it as part of a home automation controller (JDS STARGATE), which is capable of sending out asci commands via one of its serial ports.

We do alot of home automation installs with the above device in mind, but I guess this would not really work in the way I had hoped.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 147 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts