Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#54135 - 07/16/05 02:10 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
Bob045 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
kwoodrow,

This may be slightly off base, but you said to find the checksum amount, you convert the values to decimal, add them up and then reconvert to Hex...additionally one could simply add the values in hex:

83 83
45 45
01 19 ( example code only )
-------
C9 D1

The converting and reconverting would probably be the parts that trip me up. smile

#54136 - 07/17/05 06:42 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
CI,

You can't do this in Hyperterminal. You need something capable of sending raw bytes to the serial port.

#54137 - 07/17/05 07:46 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New City, New York, USA
Appreciate the clarification!

#54138 - 07/18/05 01:55 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
kwoodrow Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Arlington, VA
The two programs I've used to communicate with the Outlaw are Cinemar's MainLobby Server (MLServer) and Proximis' Girder. Both are pc-based automation programs capable of controlling PC applications and external hardware. MainLobby is known for its gorgeous Flash-based GUI, while Girder is famous for its robust application control. Girder also has a built-in scripting language, based on Lua, that can be used to parse and perform logic on the returned data strings. I'm not a programmer, but some of the folks at the Girder forum are helping me out. Eventually I'll figure out how to work with the data being returned from the Outlaw's serial port and use it keep track of the current settings, display volume on my touchscreens, and control the processor remotely from networked computers (useful for Zone 2 stuff). I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress!

#54139 - 07/19/05 11:39 AM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New City, New York, USA
Thanks Ken!

#54140 - 09/27/05 03:21 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

I'm starting to look into doing some control of the 990 using the serial port. The omissions in the protocol are definitely disappointing. I'm definitely not going to pull of quite what I want.

The protocol lacks the following things, which would be _really_ helpful:

- Direct volume setting (one command to set volume to a specified level)
- Direct surround mode setting (one command to set the desired surround mode)
- Commands to read back and set each of the configuration parameters (e.g. trim levels, crossover points, speaker configs, etc.)

It looks like most of the config can be read back, but not changed in any easy way. The best I can figure is I might be able to get into the menu mode (not sure if there is a command for this, however), and have some software iteratively "navigate" through the menus and make changes effectively blindly. Ugh!

Same goes for the surround modes. Since there only exist commands for "next surround mode" and "previous surround mode," one must iteratively cycle through until the one you want is selected.

Same for volume: You can command the 990 to go to -40, -10, or +5, but from there you have to send multiple up/down commands to get to a level you want.

In short, it looks like it's merely an adaptation of the infrared commands rather than being a more generally useful serial protocol. I'm disappointed because I have grand plans to automate my setup to the point where I have preferred surround modes stored for my different media on my HTPC, and I'd like to have my automation system automatically set up the 990 before starting the film.

I also had hoped to be able to easily enable or disable the rear surrounds (switch between 5.1 and 7.1) because I have a compromised room setup with my rear row against the back wall. I'm unsure at this stage whether it will be acceptable to listen to the system with people in the back row with the rear surrounds blaring directly above their heads. My system will be used probably 50% of the time with just two people in the front row, so 7.1 is fine. I had hoped to automate switching to 5.1 mode if necessary.

I suspect the chances of getting Outlaw to extend the protocol are pretty low, but I had to make the request. It's disappointing because having the RS232 port gets us so close, but the lack of good protocol support keeps us so far away.

#54141 - 09/27/05 03:30 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You may have already done so, but I compared the 990's RS-232 protocols to the P-965's and the two seemed the be nearly identical - which is an interesting bit of data that may or may not suggest how much flexibility exists to add to the protocol. I look forward to hearing about your RS-232 interface project, and about the potential for Outlaw expanding on the existing RS-232 command set.

#54142 - 09/27/05 03:46 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

Do you have a link to the P-965 protocol? I looked around a bit and couldn't turn anything up.

#54143 - 09/27/05 04:50 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't have a link, but I think I still have the PDF lying around somewhere...

#54144 - 09/28/05 05:54 PM Re: RS-232 Protocol for the technically inclined
kwoodrow Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Arlington, VA
I wanted to update this thread with my experiences with the RS232 protocol for the Outlaw and let you guys know of my favorable experiences with using Charmed Quark Controller (CQC) software to control the Outlaw (as well as the rest of my home theater and whole-house audio systems).

In a nutshell, I’ve been incredibly impressed with both the CQC software and the customer support I’ve received from its developers. I am now in the process of switching my entire control system to CQC. CQC is a PC-based theater and home automation software that can be used to create elaborate touchscreen-based graphical user interfaces and to control virtually and IR or serial-based device.

I worked directly with the developer of CQC to write a device driver for the CQC software to control the Outlaw via its serial port. From his office in California, he was able to directly access the Outlaw in my Virginia house using a software-based serial port server program that is built-in to CQC. In less than two-days time, he wrote a driver that exploits the full functionality of the 990's protocol.

I now have a gorgeous touchscreen interface that controls most of the Outlaw's functions and provides direct feedback of the volume level and front panel display. It also handles feeback from the second zone, which comes in handy when you want to control it from another room using a touchscreen interface. Finally, b/c the CQC software is aware of the status of the unit, it is possible to write intelligent macros based on the status of the unit.

Unfortunately, as Prefect noted, the protocol is limited in certain respects. It does appear to be a serial implementation of the IR functions.

But, despite the lack of discrete controls for surround mode settings, with direct feedback of the front panel display, you can reliably toggle through the settings and see what the unit is doing.

In terms of everyday control, I am very pleased with the reliability of serial control.

It's well-worth looking into the CQC product for home theater and home automation control, particularly now that it supports the Outlaw [and the Sherwood, I would guess!]

- Ken

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts