Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#53934 - 05/24/05 10:40 PM Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
Logain Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
I have been spending way too much time at work reading here on the 990. Gonk and Jeff's review on AV123 has me sold.

My biggest problem is that the current selection of outlaw amps don't match. I am usually not a petty person but this is something that is going to bug me. Is anyone else in the same boat?

At this point I am even considering buying a diffent brand amp, something that looks simular. Or I may just wait till the new amp is out.

I work nights and will probably call outlaw on my days off to try and get some info on the up coming amp.

#53935 - 05/24/05 10:44 PM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
You could pick up a 7100 for now and enjoy the tunes and sell it on eBay later. There will be lots of buyers I would think.

Also, No one knows how long the wait will be. It appears the 790 is next up on the amp block, which may have a matching power button.. [and 300watts per channel] wink

#53936 - 05/24/05 10:54 PM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
merkls Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Logain:
will probably call outlaw on my days off to try and get some info on the up coming amp.
I'm in the same boat and called Outlaw to get an idea when the matching faceplates would be available for their current amps - their response: no idea. Maybe you'll have better luck when you call...

-SM

#53937 - 05/24/05 11:02 PM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
By all means give 'em a call. They may be able to give you some insight that hasn't popped up yet.

Personally, I already had my amps (one benefit of separates once you get into it is that the amp can last through multiple generations of processor), so I sort of don't count in this debate. My four-year-old Model 750 isn't likely to match any processor or source component that will pass through my equipment rack in the years to come. Besides, you can't even see my big amp unless you open the equipment rack door. smile Even though it won't affect me any, I do hope that the interest in updated faceplates will lead to some product revisions before too much time passes.

#53938 - 05/25/05 01:28 AM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
Outlaw_Tim Offline
Gunslinger

This is the sole reason I went for the 950/770, so I could upgrade either unit and not be left wanting.

Sure, the 790 will look like a the 990 (my 770 is tucked away...well hidden by my SVS wink ) and when and if I ever need 300w per channel, or that I can convince my wife at a later date that I need 'cleaner' power, I'll get one (she asked me why I didn't buy the matching amp...*sniffle* window closing...

#53939 - 05/25/05 01:37 AM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
Logain Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by merkls:
Quote:
Originally posted by Logain:
[b] will probably call outlaw on my days off to try and get some info on the up coming amp.
I'm in the same boat and called Outlaw to get an idea when the matching faceplates would be available for their current amps

-SM [/b]
Thanks for the replys

Is it even possible to replace the face of the current outlaw amps?

#53940 - 05/25/05 06:22 AM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Respectfully... Matching faceplate designs are the least important reason I would wait. The balanced inputs on the 790 amp would seem to be a better reason for myself and others who are not seriously concerned about the negative commentary generated in the balanced vs. unbalanced debate. The 300 watts of continuous full frequency range power might also come into play for larger speaker systems and/or the head bangers out there.

Also, I am interested in the 990 / 790 combo, and the price break Outlaw will give on the pair. smile

As my heavy amps are down at the bottom of the racks (low center of gravity and no button pushing required), and the Pre-Pro is up top to save my back, the aesthetic argument becomes almost moot. And for those of us with balanced EQ gear, which are located just above the amps in my case, the balanced signal path will be most welcome and worth waiting for.

Nevertheless, I would like to send a big and indebted thank you to all of those who have bought the 990, as your pioneering spirit gives all of us a more informed basis for making purchases and conquering our fear of the unknown. The beachhead belongs to you.

Allan

#53941 - 05/25/05 11:02 AM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
elikd Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Petty as it sounds,

I also would like my equipment to match. If I already had it I wouldnt care. But if you are getting all your equipment from one manufacturer and it is new well, you sort of expect it to look the same, the esthetics is one of the reasons to get everything from one supplier. Its not only the power button, its the logo, the text, the colors..

#53942 - 05/25/05 11:56 AM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
wild_gopher Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I did not act on the 990 email notification order due to not having a matching amp to go with the 990. I have an older Denon receiver now, so when I upgrade, I want to do it right and with a similar look. The 790 is just too much amp (over kill) for me.

I have a gut feeling that based on previous mention in the “Call for Beta Testers” announcement that we may see some new replacement amps with a matching 990 face plates later this year. Here is what caught my attention from that announcement:

"As those of you who follow all things Outlaw know, the past year has been one where we spent a great deal of time working on new product design and development. While we only introduced one new product (the LFM-1) in 2004, we may bring as many as eight new products to market before 2005 comes to a close. Some, such as the Model 1070 Surround Receiver, the RR 2150 "RetroReceiver" and the Model 790 Amplifier, have been previewed at the Home Entertainment Shows, while others are still brewing in the development labs deep within the Outlaw's Hideout".

The key point being: “as many as EIGHT NEW PRODUCTS to the market BEFORE 2005 comes to a CLOSE”. It seems Outlaw has only confirmed 5 of the 8 product to date that have/will be released in 2005 (990, LFM-2, 1070, RR2150, and 790). What will the next 3 products be? My guess is new amps in the 100 – 200 wpc range with balanced inputs and looks to match the 990. I cannot believe Outlaw would introduce a new pre/pro with balanced outputs that only matches up with a 300 wpc killer amp. They would be missing a large segment of their market for the 100 – 200 wpc range if balanced inputs were not offered. My 2 cents.

#53943 - 05/25/05 12:12 PM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Maybe you need some black spray paint for the amp, then they will match.. wink

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts