Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#53974 - 06/04/05 02:32 AM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
Logain Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
The 790 (at least the one we saw in New York last year, and I presume this hasn't changed) had two separate power connections - the only way to get 2100W of output is to have more than 2100W of input, and a single 15A circuit only offers 1800W. You should be able to connect a 790 to a single circuit, but you won't be able to max out all seven channels at once without two dedicated 15A circuits.
Sounds like you need a license to power this beast up. All the neighbors lights are going to dim when I turn this thing on:)

#53975 - 06/15/05 11:03 AM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
merkls Offline
Gunslinger

Just pinging this old thread so that the Outlaws know that this is still an important issue for some of us...

Aren't we about overdue for an updated newsletter anyway? Fingers crossed that new faceplates on their amps is one of the newsworthy items...

-SM

#53976 - 06/15/05 11:22 AM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
elikd Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
I agree. Right now I am on the fence between a mismatched Outlaw combo and the matching and in my opinion better finished Sherwood P-965/A-965 combo. If the Outlaw combo at least matched I wouldnt mind the more plasticky (my new word) build. But to have a cheaper build (mind you I mean cosmentic not internal) combined with mismatching components is an oversight! Whats the news Outlaw????

#53977 - 06/15/05 12:59 PM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
:rolleyes: I’m sorry if this post offends some folks, but here goes. The subject of this thread is one of the greatest non-issues I have ever seen on this forum. Components don’t always match, even from the same manufacturer, but it doesn’t matter. All of you should be happy that all of the Outlaw components are at least black. The thing that matters most is performance, and for the money the Outlaw’s win, hands down. If the aesthetics are a problem than there are a number of options available to you. Audio furniture with frosted glass doors, perforated metal doors, or place the components in a closet. If those options are not good enough, buy something else. Most audio racks contain components from various companies, and they don’t match. Sometimes there not even the same color, let alone the fact that graphically they are different. As the Don Henley song goes, “ Get over it”. :rolleyes:

#53978 - 06/15/05 01:56 PM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
readster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bartlesville, OK USA
I have all 20 amp service in my house also, i think it's an older house thing, before the code changed to 15a standard outlets. So if i'm calculating right then would a 20amp outlet be able to produce 2400w ??

#53979 - 06/15/05 01:57 PM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I'm just curious how these people buy dvd players or allow cable boxes into their home. I haven't seen any that match a pre/pro and amp combo. Color is all that is important unless you can match every single piece of gear in your rack.

#53980 - 06/15/05 02:43 PM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Readster, your math and mine are in agreement. A 120V, 20A circuit should be able to provide 2400W.

#53981 - 06/15/05 03:32 PM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
elikd Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Obviously components from different vendors will not match. And saying performance is what matters is so obvious and such a cliche its not worth answering. But, someone who is buying everything from ONE company, brand new, and spending a singificant money, probably expects it to match and also look good. If I already had an amp and was upgrading my preamp I would not care (other than at least try to get the same color like black or silver, and even that is hard with cable boxes and such). But if I am buying everything brand spanking new, from the same company, well at best it would be a wierd quirk the consumer doesnt care about or at worse its a lost sale.

Some people like their audio/video electronics setup to look good ( I would say many to most but It would just be a guess). Why would you see so many pics of setups in magazines if this were not the case, and why would this topic exist, why such expensive furniture (like bello)to display the eqpuipment (instead of enclosed racks)? To pretend people are being ridiculous because they are aware of or give weight to aesthetics is in my opinion a mistake. They made a significant investment and would prefer it if it looks as good as it sounds.

Every company knows a products looks matters. Thats why they hire industrial design firms, graphics artists, sculptures, etc. to design the look and feel for their products and convey an image. Why is it so strange we expect Brand X to have a consistent look and feel across their product line?

If looks are such a non issue in a product line, ask yourself this: Do you really think Outlaw will continue to produce a line without a consistent look and feel, each product on its own path with no relation to the others? Or do you think they are selling whats left of the old line before releasing the new revisions?

All we are saying is, some people are waiting for this to happen before purchasing.

#53982 - 06/15/05 04:26 PM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
ratpack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Alabama
elikd: a very well thought out and reasoned post!!!

readster: it is highly unlikely that you would EVER use 300 watts in all 7 channels at the same time. My speakers are rated at 91 dB SPL for 1 watt. 300 watts would be about 25 dB more. I find anything over 87 dB to just be too loud. I would not be playing anything in my house at 116 DB SPL!! If you can get or borrow a sound meter, make a few measurements. I think that you would be surprised.

There is nothing wrong with having an amp that runs 300 for each of 7 channels. I may get one myself. But, I would be surprised if your 20 amp circuit is not sufficient for your listening pleasure.

#53983 - 06/15/05 04:43 PM Re: Is anyone else waiting for a matching amp before getting the 990?
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North of Dallas
I'm running 2,520 watts on 4 amps, a Sammy 50" DLP, Denon 3910 DVD player and the 990 on one dedicated 20 amp circuit and have never tripped the breaker. I listen at peaks exceeding 100dB when no one else is in the house.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts