Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#53589 - 05/19/05 11:29 AM Xover for "L/R + sub" ?
grok Offline
Gunslinger

What's the crossover point when the fronts are large and the sub is set to L/R + sub?

I received my 990 yesterday and found the setup pretty straightforward. The sound is great, and I'm eager to do some critical listening in the next few weeks to tweak everything.

My setup includes Paradigm reference studio 40s up front, the matching center, a paradigm 2100 sub, and a couple of older floor-standing Cerwin Vegas doing surround duty. I first set it up manually with the fronts and surrounds crossing over at 40, and the center at 60. Running the auto setup yielded the same settings (or did I do something wrong?), plus did the delays quite well. I'm curious, though, about setting the fronts to large, and having the sub pickup some bass from them, but the manual doesn't specify the crossover at which the fronts' bass is fed to the sub at that setting. (That is, the fronts get full range, and the sub gets 80 and below, duplicating everything up to 80). I'm guessing it's around 80, but does anyone know? Also, does this setting only feed from the fronts, or also the surrounds? The manual speaks to this setting only with regard to the setting for the fronts, but I wonder....

Thanks,

Mark

#53590 - 05/23/05 10:06 AM Re: Xover for "L/R + sub" ?
grok Offline
Gunslinger

I spoke with Scott this morning, and he confirmed that the crossover point is in fact 80 Hz when the fronts are set to large, and the sub is set to L/R + sub.

Mark

#53591 - 05/23/05 02:00 PM Re: Xover for "L/R + sub" ?
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Grok,

Sorry if I've confused this issue. The x-over applied to the main channels when fronts are set to "large" and sub is set to L/R + SUB is dependant upon whichever crossover is selected for the main speakers in the speaker x-over menu. Please keep in mind that this crossover only determines which bass will also be sent to the sub from the main speakers. It has no effect on the bass being sent to the main speakers or the LFE signal. As a
"large" speaker your front speakers will continue to receive a full range signal.

Scott

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts