Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#5348 - 01/24/04 09:42 AM Re: Thoughts on Speaker Level Calibration
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
Interesting thread. I calibrated my 5.1 system using the Avia and RS mounted on a tripod where my head would be. I also measured (to within 6" distances) so, since I followed Soundhound's guidelines everything should be simpatico, right? I find that I'm continually "messing around" with different recordings. Since I just recently added the lfm-1 this adds (interesting) variables. For example: there's a volume control on the back of the lfm. I'm currently setting it arbitrarily at "5" but, obviously, that setting affects the db setting in the 950. For some recordings like the new 5.1 Tommy SACD I boost the sub because the software is bass-shy. For the Zappa DVD "Does Humor Belong In Music" which is only 2.1 I'm boosting the front center when spoken dialoge intermittently is added to the mix. Even though my rears are supposedly matched Alesis monitors I'm running one of 'em 2 db louder than the other.

OK, my question: Is anyone else constantly tweeting using the "Trim" button on the 950 remote, as I do?

Oh yes, I'm also messing with the 950 crossover frequency. Since I'm using high quality Mackie monitors for the 3 front speakers, should the crossover be at 60 or 80 hz? Should the crossover for the inferior Alesis surrounds be at 80?

Hey, it's a lot of fun. I don't believe, considering the variablilty of the software we play through our systems, that there is one "perfect" setting.

BTW, the "Rainbow Bridge" SACD on Telarc is, IMHO, a state of the art recording. Duly noted!

Jay

#5349 - 01/24/04 12:13 PM Re: Thoughts on Speaker Level Calibration
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
JMS:

I sometimes have to mess with the center dialogue level for certain films, but I don't change the levels of the other speakers once set.

The calibration method I outlined should give results that are pretty close to the results you would get from calibrating using other sources of the calibration tone - in an ideal world. The problem is similiar to the man who wears two wrist watches and therefore has no idea what the actual time is when trying to calibrate to different "standards" which should in theory be the same. My method will average the response of the speakers over a wider frequency band and be less dependent on the frequency response of the speakers at a narrow frequency range - this should correlate better to what your ears actually hear as loudness.

I'd use 60Hz with the Mackies.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 24, 2004).]

#5350 - 01/25/04 08:37 PM Re: Thoughts on Speaker Level Calibration
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Interesting thread SH, as always, thanks for posting

I never even thought of using A weighting readings to see what results I get. I will have to experiment with that soon.

And as far as always changing trim levels, I am with SoundHound on this one. The Center is the ONLY one I change when needed.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM