Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#53152 - 05/13/05 10:43 PM Re: Today's the day!
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North of Dallas
Quote:
Originally posted by mendes9:
No dis respect fellas, but this is starting to sound like magazine reviews, everything they review sounds amazing. My response is always, sounds great compared to what? A Lexicon MC-12 or a pocket 1970 transisor radio?

I want to know if the 990 is truly a $1100 processor, or does it sound more like a $2000 processor? Is anyone able to A/B it against a B&K 30/50, Anthem 20/30, Carey Cinema 6, Krell HTS, Lex MC-1, or even it's brother the Sherwood 965?... Inquiry minds want to know frown
I'll let you know when I get mine. I can then compare it to the Anthem AVM30.

#53153 - 05/13/05 10:53 PM Re: Today's the day!
Logain Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by barnabas:
Quote:
[b] No dis respect fellas, but this is starting to sound like magazine reviews, everything they review sounds amazing. My response is always, sounds great compared to what? A Lexicon MC-12 or a pocket 1970 transisor radio?

I want to know if the 990 is truly a $1100 processor, or does it sound more like a $2000 processor? Is anyone able to A/B it against a B&K 30/50, Anthem 20/30, Carey Cinema 6, Krell HTS, Lex MC-1, or even it's brother the Sherwood 965?... Inquiry minds want to know frown
I'll let you know when I get mine. I can then compare it to the Anthem AVM30. [/b]
That would be great! I know alot of people would like to hear how they compare.

#53154 - 05/13/05 11:17 PM Re: Today's the day!
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Quote:
No dis respect fellas, but this is starting to sound like magazine reviews, everything they review sounds amazing. My response is always, sounds great compared to what? A Lexicon MC-12 or a pocket 1970 transisor radio?

Why don't you buy one of each and decide for yourself. laugh

#53155 - 05/13/05 11:25 PM Re: Today's the day!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Hmmm... I sense a catch-22 of sorts here... If we complement our new toy (which none of us have had for more than two or three days) we are equated to writing a "magazine review," but if we wait until we can produce a lengthy dissertation (which takes time, in turn taking time away from work, family, and actually listening to our cool new toy) then the other folks waiting in line are left completely in the dark (in the silence?). Personally, I find it a bit offensive to suggest that by saying it sounds great we are somehow deficient - especially since "great" is a very good way to describe this puppy.

What does $____ sound like? I'm wary of establishing a concept of directly correlating sound to price tag. I've been listening to my 990 a fair bit since it arrived. I can't directly compare it to a more expensive processor such as the Anthem AVM-20 or 30 since the price tag on those keeps them out of the picture for me, whereas the 990's price is attainable in my budget. For what it's worth, I have found that going from the Model 950 to the Model 990 is an upgrade in sound as well as features - an upgrade that even my wife noticed almost immediately. Don't sell short the suggestions that the 990 sounds great, because to my ear it really does.

#53156 - 05/14/05 05:38 AM Re: Today's the day!
NewBuyer Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Hmmm... I sense a catch-22 of sorts here... If we complement our new toy (which none of us have had for more than two or three days) we are equated to writing a "magazine review," but if we wait until we can produce a lengthy dissertation (which takes time, in turn taking time away from work, family, and actually listening to our cool new toy) then the other folks waiting in line are left completely in the dark (in the silence?). Personally, I find it a bit offensive to suggest that by saying it sounds great we are somehow deficient - especially since "great" is a very good way to describe this puppy.

What does $____ sound like? I'm wary of establishing a concept of directly correlating sound to price tag. I've been listening to my 990 a fair bit since it arrived. I can't directly compare it to a more expensive processor such as the Anthem AVM-20 or 30 since the price tag on those keeps them out of the picture for me, whereas the 990's price is attainable in my budget. For what it's worth, I have found that going from the Model 950 to the Model 990 is an upgrade in sound as well as features - an upgrade that even my wife noticed almost immediately. Don't sell short the suggestions that the 990 sounds great, because to my ear it really does.
Hi gonk,

Methinks you doth protest too much. smile

j/k wink

#53157 - 05/14/05 09:53 AM Re: Today's the day!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
smile - we're just getting downright literary around here, what with the Joseph Heller and Shakespeare references.

To somewhat change the subject, how many of us who had the 990's shipped to work took a moment out of the work day to unbox it briefly and ended up with really confused co-workers? I had mine sitting on the log-in board for a little while. Aside from one co-worker who borrowed my 1050 briefly three years ago (his wife ended up vetoing the purchase) and another who owns a Rotel 1068, nobody in the office could really quite comprehend what they were looking at. smile

#53158 - 05/14/05 10:30 AM Re: Today's the day!
sraber Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI
Well, many others have posted here indicating delivery of their 990. I just checked FedEx tracking of my 990 and it appears that it's on the truck out for delivery today. Who's excited? Yeah, it's me.

Gonk, in response to your question: As you already know, I didn't have mine delivered to the office. But I did show a buddy of mine the photos in the 990 gallery. I think he was with me until he asked "How many watts per channel?" and I told him, "0". Seems that even after a description of "serperates vs. receivers" he was still left shaking his head.

later,
simp
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 (center)
Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
f, B&W DM604S3
c, B&W LCR600S3
ss, B&W DM302
rs,Polk M3II
HSU VTF-3 MK3
APC H-15 Power Conditioner
Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
Little Dot MKIII Headphone Amp
Denon AH-D1100 Headphones (needed a quick, cheap set. looking for an upgrade worthy of the h/p amp.)

#53159 - 05/14/05 11:28 AM Re: Today's the day!
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
If everyone shared your passion, you wouldn't get a 990 for a few years..

#53160 - 05/14/05 11:55 AM Re: Today's the day!
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
Hello everyone,

I received the 990 today @ 10.20 A.M. I ordered the unit on Thursday @ 7:00 P.M. I wasn't expecting to see it until the end of next week. Now that's service, WOW.

#53161 - 05/14/05 12:46 PM Re: Today's the day!
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I received my 990 yesterday and hooked it up last night. I don't have any real opinions yet, but the lock on is faster. Also, the surround channels seem to be more fluid and natural. IMO it may sound better than the 950, but I will give more impressions once I have more time to mess around with it this weekend.

I do have a question though. Does anybody know why I can't get Dolby Digital on some HD channels with out Dolby Digital + Dolby VS 5 SP Wide? The manual claims this is "Dolby Digital but used to expand the soundfield when front left and right speakers are positioned close to tv." I really don't like what the Dolby VS 5 SP Wide does to Dolby Digital and I don't need it at all since ironically I don't have a tv (I have a projector screen). I would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks in advance.

Also, I don't know what others' impressions of the size are, but this is the largest piece of electronics (tvs not included) I have ever owned, except maybe our first Betamax in the real early 80's. Here is a picture of it just sitting on top of my rack. For comparison sake, the 950 is two shelves down.

I think its obvious I will need to buy a new rack if I decide to keep the 990. smile

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts