Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#52894 - 07/27/05 05:00 AM Re: Outlaw 990 or Rotel 1068 pls help me decide
NewBuyer Offline
Gunslinger

It is interesting to me that just as many people describe the Rotel sound as warm, as do bright. This observation has come up often on the Club Rotel forum as well. I think ratpack makes a very good point...

#52895 - 07/27/05 09:57 AM Re: Outlaw 990 or Rotel 1068 pls help me decide
ratpack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Alabama
Jed: I am coming from an electrical engineering standpoint. If your equalization is zeroed, flat frequency response from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, and less than .1% THD, then, there just CAN'T be any human ear listening difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are REALLY hearing a difference, then something VERY STRANGE is going on!!!

My question is: WHAT????????????

#52896 - 07/27/05 11:34 AM Re: Outlaw 990 or Rotel 1068 pls help me decide
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
It has to be the make up of the copper atoms!!! Jim

#52897 - 07/27/05 11:43 AM Re: Outlaw 990 or Rotel 1068 pls help me decide
sraber Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI
ratpack: I don't have the technical expertise to answer your questions. But there was a difference. During my testing I made sure that the speaker settings (size, distance), the x-over points, sub settings, etc were all the same. I callibrated both units using Avia DVD and a rat-shack spl meter. I used the same source and cables with both pre/pros. I listened to music cd's and watched movies. In all cases, the Outlaw had more full, rich sound. It seemed to hit all freq. ranges more evenly. While the Rotel, it seemed, placed too much emphasis on the high end. Way too much IMO. In addition, the Rotel seemed to be lacking in the lower to mid range. I have no other way of quantifying this other than my ears. Sorry, I'm not that much of a techie. I know what I heard though....

later,
Simp
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 (center)
Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
f, B&W DM604S3
c, B&W LCR600S3
ss, B&W DM302
rs,Polk M3II
HSU VTF-3 MK3
APC H-15 Power Conditioner
Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
Little Dot MKIII Headphone Amp
Denon AH-D1100 Headphones (needed a quick, cheap set. looking for an upgrade worthy of the h/p amp.)

#52898 - 07/28/05 10:22 AM Re: Outlaw 990 or Rotel 1068 pls help me decide
JAMMINJC Offline
Gunslinger

You guys may want to check out this professional review link. The reviewer found the RSP 1068 to be a little forward (bright) at first. But after an extended break-in period it warmed up and he was very pleased with the sound.

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/surroundsoundpreampprocessors/904rotel/index.html

#52899 - 07/28/05 10:37 AM Re: Outlaw 990 or Rotel 1068 pls help me decide
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

That is so unprofessional.

#52900 - 07/28/05 10:37 AM Re: Outlaw 990 or Rotel 1068 pls help me decide
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
while i dont think that processors play a very large roll as far as how the end result sounds, they are not all the same, even with the same specs. some of this is to do with manf. having different standards, measuring techniques, etc. there are many ways to reproduce sound, each adding a little to the sound or taking away a bit, thus the end sound can be slightly different.

you can have two different speakers with exactly the same "electrical" specs and they can sound absolutely different. the same theory is applicable to processors, though the differences are much much less.

go for the better value in your processor and spend more on speakers or if you prefer alcohol (which coincidentally makes everythind sound different).

#52901 - 07/28/05 01:39 PM Re: Outlaw 990 or Rotel 1068 pls help me decide
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Monroe, WA
Things that affect sound are, in order of degree of affect are:

1) Speakers
2) Room (Some would argue that the room can have a greater effect than the speaker, and for very low frequencies, this is very possible.)
3) Amps
4) Source
5) Preamp/Processor

So, if all else stays the same, a preamp can affect the sound. The question is: does it do so in an audible fashion? Obviously, if the preamp is a poor one, the answer can be "Yes". Let's consider just good pre/pros, then.

While digital processing has removed much of the possibility for introducing analog noise and non-linearities, it can cause problems of it's own. One has to consider roundoff error in the processing algorithms, whether the analog signal sampled was properly band-limited (foldover distortion will result otherwise), and sampling jitter in A/D, and, more problematically, D/A. The final D/A stage also has a filter to remove resampling artifacts.

All of these can contribute distortion: DACs, particularly in consumer gear, are not perfect, and their clocks can jitter all over the place.

Assuming the quality of the digital processing is the same across all manufacturers, the final analog stages tend to be most crucial. Upsampling, particularly, can have an effect here, because it determines the quality and steepness requirements of the output filter, sometimes a combination of an analog and digital filter. Google for "noise shaping". The bottom line, is that one can use a less severe output filter with increased upsampling rates (and that translates into less phase distortion at higher frequencies). Of course, if increased resampling can make an output filter (integrater, really), work better, there may be the tendency to try to use an inferior output filter to get the "same" quality as one would get with a better filter and less upsampling. Increased upsampling also requires tighter jitter tolerances.

All of these are tradeoffs. Do they affect the sound in a manner that is noticible? Perhaps: jitter distortion is particularly nasty (witness the harshness of early 1980s CD players with poor clocks, no buffering, and hard output filters).

Of course, it should be difficult to notice differences between any decent pre/pro, suggesting that features and price be the primary factors determining what one should purchase (support and appearance being others). I suspect few could tell in a double-blind test. But, there is no guarantee that a $1100 pre/pro isn't just repackaged junk at a high price.

Problems start when a reviewer finds a pre/pro "bright". Does that mean lousy output filters, poor DSP algorithms, or a very slight perception that high frequencies are emphasized? In other words, just "how bright" is it? If the pre/pro is otherwise recommended, probably not a lot.

Now, with regard to Outlaw, their M200 monoblocks have a documented tendency to roll off the high end above 10 KHz. Could Outlaw have tried to compensate by making their pre/pro intentionally bright, if ever so slightly? Some manufacturers are big proponents of "component synergy". I suspect this is a marketting ploy to sell you everything from source to pre/pro to amps to speakers, and it might be possible that individual components are made intentionally less than ideal to pull this off.

But, such chicanary can be found by measurements, and AFAIK, no such emphasis is seen with the 990.

I own a 990, and am extremely pleased with it, even though I'm just using it in a 2.0+LFE configuration for now, replacing a 20 year old analog preamp that cost $2500 at the time (and I would admit that half of that was for the "B&O 5500 look"). Balanced outputs, bypass mode, number of inputs, component and DVI switching, and price were the determining factors for me.

I would consider the Rotel a decent pre/pro, probably on a par with the 990, but with all the "overhead" of a retail sales network, and the markup that entails. Bottom line: the 990 is better value for at least the same performance.

#52902 - 07/28/05 03:57 PM Re: Outlaw 990 or Rotel 1068 pls help me decide
ratpack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Alabama
Rene: can you post links to the M200's frequency response? I would like to see the data.

#52903 - 07/28/05 04:38 PM Re: Outlaw 990 or Rotel 1068 pls help me decide
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
I want to see the data also!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts