Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#52824 - 05/06/05 07:13 PM Re: Balanced Controversy - Revisited
assid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: TX
It looks like they have a new model:
web page

I'm ignorant about microphones. Are there dynamic mics, condensor mics and ribbon mics? I guess what I'm asking is, since I'm not a musician and don't have a good microphone or know anything really about them, nor the terminology, what would I need to buy that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get this thing to do what I want (eliminate harmonics)?

EDIT: oh, I see you already provided a link to a microphone.
Rocket RS 850's, 550's, Polk LS 90's
SVS PB-12 Ultra

#52825 - 05/06/05 07:31 PM Re: Balanced Controversy - Revisited
assid Offline
Gunslinger

So then, if I were to buy that microphone, I would plug it into a microphone preamp, then run a cord from the preamp to the FDP? Can you point me to an online source to buy the cords? And, would all the connectors on these two cords be balanced 1/4" TRS connectors?

Another question: By using this FDP, would you be "doing" what is considered room EQ?

EDIT: I emailed Behringer a question, and they suggested what I would want is another product of theirs:
ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496
SVS PB-12 Ultra

#52826 - 05/06/05 09:16 PM Re: Balanced Controversy - Revisited
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Assid,

The new unit is almost 3 times the money that the 1124 is and with it being used for ~100hz and down I think the sample rate of the 1124 is fine. Also, like the 990, its not available yet.. Besides, I always keep focused on more power and the extra cash could go into more watts! smile

As far as the Mic/Preamp goes its as follows:

1) Not any mic will do. It to has to have a very flat response curve or measurements will all be a lie. The EMC8000 is pretty flat to 20hz, and the calibration file that comes with RTA helps to make it more accurate. Unless you want to send it away for calibration, which will give you a very accurate data model which you can setup a really accurate calibration file for your mic only (unless you bump it or something, then send it away again..). Most people find the one in RTA sufficient.

2) Parts express or your local Music store will have XLR (Balanced) cables unless you are a cable freak. In which case you will need to spend at least $1000 bucks on a 3 ft cable.. wink

3) You plug the Mic into the Preamp (or Mixer) with Phantom power, which in turn is plugged into a soundcard like the EMU440 I described above into the line input (not the mic input).

4)The FBD will be connected to the 990 sub out (LFE, XLR Balanced) output. The output of the FDB will be sent to whatever Subamp you have.

4) You will be displaying your frequency response on your PC using the RTA software as you adjust FBD to flatten and correct issues with your room for your Sub. (or any other speaker)

5) Your soundcard will be used to generate test tones, pink noise or a frequency sweep which is send into the 990 input and thru the FBD to the sub.

Since the FBD will have a perminent home between your 990 and the subamp, its a good idea to also connect the MIDI out of the FBD to your PC and suck out the settings into a file for safe keeping... Or use the software Dundas mentioned that has similar capabilities for the FBD, but I have not personally tried it yet.

Hope this helps..

#52827 - 05/06/05 09:18 PM Re: Balanced Controversy - Revisited
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Assid,

Of course the ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496 would be the suggested one, its 6 times the money. I vote for more watts instead! wink

#52828 - 05/06/05 09:59 PM Re: Balanced Controversy - Revisited
assid Offline
Gunslinger

ahhhh, I see. Thanks for the explanation. Very logical and easy to understand. If I can follow it, you know it's a good explanation. I appreciate your efforts to "edge-u-ma-cate" me.
I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS. Mine isn't the Platinum, so I'm not sure if I have a midi port on it...I'll have to read the manual. Also, what does a midi cord's connectors look like? Are they some kind of one-off connector?
The PITA I see is having to move my PC upstairs to my HT room...not so much the PC, but the 21" CRT monitor. Though, I guess I could hook the PC up to my RPTV. I have a laptop, but don't think the built in sound card is worth a crap. Although, I do think SB makes an external sound card for laptops...I'll have to read up.
SVS PB-12 Ultra

#52829 - 05/06/05 10:19 PM Re: Balanced Controversy - Revisited
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Assid,

Caution on a lot of Sound Blaster cards. They are great for PC's and games etc, but most including the Audigy have some built in filters that can make sound measurements a head scratcher and also tend not to output at high enough levels as to not generate noise of there own. You need to pegging the volume control on your PC most of the time.

The EMU 440 is a "semi-pro" card which is designed for higher output levels (watts, or maybe watt) in the first place. Which means you have some headroom before entering the "darkside"

Audio card benchmark software like http://audio.rightmark.org/download.shtml will tell you that the EMU440 has way better signal to noise ratios than a Sound Blaster..

Most laptop soundcards will show up on the Right Mark Benchmark software as a snowstorm and can't output more than a few milliwatts..

JMHO..

#52830 - 05/07/05 08:25 AM Re: Balanced Controversy - Revisited
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Assid,

MIDI looks like the old style keyboard connector (dating myself here) which is about half inch around and has 5 pins on it. Almost all sound cards have either MIDI IN/OUT or a game port which you can buy and adapter cable to get MIDI IN/OUT on. There is also some USB to MIDI adapters out there, but I have no experience with them.

#52831 - 05/07/05 09:07 AM Re: Balanced Controversy - Revisited
assid Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks.
Hey, my keyboard still has that kind of adaptor. eek ..PS/2...at least I think that's the look you're refeering to.
SVS PB-12 Ultra

#52832 - 05/07/05 10:42 AM Re: Balanced Controversy - Revisited
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Nope, trikos is talking about the old DIN adaptor, I believe - PS/2's predecessor. smile

#52833 - 05/07/05 11:12 AM Re: Balanced Controversy - Revisited
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

You must be too young.. wink

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts