Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#52662 - 05/06/05 02:56 PM Re: It is all hooked up...almost
elikd Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Hahahahahahahaaha that was a good one Gonk! I laughed out loud here at my clients location. Of course, before you buy an amp you have to smell deeply into the vents to see if its good quality. (NOTE: Only the finest amps come precut with a nose hole for this purpose.)

#52663 - 05/06/05 07:32 PM Re: It is all hooked up...almost
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
I was looking through an audio advisor catalog just a little while ago, and came across this one:

"The Irrational, But Efficacious! test [and burn-in] CD...the main tool is a five-minute glide tone, that when played through your system at moderately low volume, will improve its sound....[the] tone helps demagnetize residual fields that build up in your components over time."

Who knew? :p

#52664 - 05/06/05 09:57 PM Re: It is all hooked up...almost
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada

#52665 - 05/09/05 09:00 AM Re: It is all hooked up...almost
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Interesting note about your professor. It's been a number of years since I did analog audio circuit design, but I remember one rule of thumb from the articles I read in the "hobbyist" DIY audio publications: avoid tantalums in your signal path.

I can't find the articles I read in the past, but a quick web search does yield information. One in particular seemed to cut right to the chase:

"I'll be dogmatic about this: tantalum capacitors _stink _for audio use: they should never be used in any signal-carrying circuit. They sound tubby in the bass, harsh and gritty in the top end, and
compressed in their dynamics—mirroring their poor engineering performance in such factors as dielectric absorption." -- from http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/3736/improve_audio.txt

This is, of course, far from a known trustworthy source, but it does confirm what I remember reading and researching at the time.

Back to your point, though: I agree that any capacitors used in a typical reasonable quality piece of consumer gear, running well within tolerances (don't forget, we're talking about signal levels nominally of a few volts here), shouldn't be changing dramatically, noticably, or probably even measurably early on in their life.

#52666 - 05/09/05 09:12 AM Re: It is all hooked up...almost
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
How do you "spit out" what you've listened to, as you would after having tasted wine?

#52667 - 05/09/05 09:37 AM Re: It is all hooked up...almost
Sfox7076 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New York
So I spent my first real amount of time listening to music Saturday, just after I brought my NAD in for service. Anyway, the great thing is that this unit is completely and utterly quiet. You won't hear any hum or white noise. It's music to my ears after owning an NAD which is amazing in analog mode, but I cannot say it was amazing in digital mode. Ok, the other thing I enjoyed was listening in bypass versus the upsample. It has become kind of an odd listening experience for me. To explain it is hard, but I find that in upsample mode the music is a bit more warm. In the bypass mode, it is cleaner to me. But it can be a bit harsh. In Radiohead, I want that pure sound. On Gershwin, I liked the warmness of the upsample. Hard to explain.

Shawn

#52668 - 05/09/05 09:42 AM Re: It is all hooked up...almost
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
How do you "spit out" what you've listened to
Good question, indeed. White noise generator? Recording of air raid siren? smile

#52669 - 05/10/05 12:52 AM Re: It is all hooked up...almost
jeffdavis Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Columbia, SC
A quick question...

Does the 990 experience the same annoying 2-3 second delay when trying to sync on an audio source as the 950 does? Or does it lock on quickly and stay locked on. I need to know to help me to decide whether or not to put in my order. Any feedback that you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff
LR: ARC Reference 1 | Emotiva XPR-2 | Music Hall MMF2.2 | Oppo BDP-83SE | Polk XRt12 XM Receiver | Emotiva XDA-1 DAC | Sony HAP-S1 (digital audio player) | Sansui TU-217 Tuner | Magnepan 3.6R w/Mye-Stands | SVS SB-16 sub | BA VR-M90s | Audio Quest 72db speaker cable
Office: Drobo 5N running as PLEX media server
Closet: too many pieces to put all into place, I need more rooms smile

#52670 - 05/10/05 09:05 AM Re: It is all hooked up...almost
Sfox7076 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New York
I have never had that problem. I guess I don't totally understand the question. So long as the unit is on, I have never had a problem. If I hit power and the source starts playing at the same time (my CD-player is always on becasue it has no stand-by, just the button), it won't play until the pre-amp and the amp cycle on.

Shawn

#52671 - 05/10/05 10:31 AM Re: It is all hooked up...almost
elikd Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
So is this statement correct:

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts