Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#52548 - 04/27/05 09:18 AM 990 at the show and what's the new BIG suprise?
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North of Dallas
The Outlaw pre show newsletter stated there will also be "a BIG (or little?) suprise". Hopefully someone attending will be able to let us know what it is and give some feedback on the 990 first hand.

An amp to mate with the 990? confused

#52549 - 04/27/05 09:47 AM Re: 990 at the show and what's the new BIG suprise?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Well, we know they have the Model 790 in development (7x300W with balanced and unbalanced inputs). We also know that they will likely have pre-production samples of the 1070 and RR2150 on hand to show off. I guess they might be rolling out some new cable offerings soon, as well (balanced interconnects, DVI cables, and HDMI-DVI adapters are all candidates). Beyond that? Man, after the 990 popped up out of left field I don't know what they might try next. There are several forum regulars attending the show, and I'm sure they'll report back at some point over the course of the show (especially since they know I'll harass them mercilessly otherwise smile ).

#52550 - 04/27/05 12:31 PM Re: 990 at the show and what's the new BIG suprise?
arica9 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bethel, CT, USA
I was happy before that my schedule alowed the time to get into the city for the show but now (and isn't it just like 'em) more fun and surprises.

I'm going in Friday and spending the day, as I know some others herein are. Between us we'll have info online right away. Not so sure my camera is working as it should but I'm sure someone will collect some pics for all to see.

And how cool is it that someone(s) will be hooking up 990's as fast as they can get home Sunday night. Their ears will begin to transform these forums from moderate speculation to real sound/listening reporting (since the Beta-dudes and dudettes are all silent).

Exciting times for sure and as always a pleasure to be part of the laugh community

#52551 - 04/27/05 12:55 PM Re: 990 at the show and what's the new BIG suprise?
Dean Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, OH
I've heard the phrase "pre-production" used several times in this forum and while I generally understand that "pre-production" means "not ready for sale", I do not understand all the phases that a product must go through to reach the store's shelf. I would appreciate it if someone could explain what happens in pre-production and what steps come next to make the product available to the consumer.

#52552 - 04/27/05 01:19 PM Re: 990 at the show and what's the new BIG suprise?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Here's my understanding of the process (it's probably an oversimplification, but it may help)... The design has to start out on paper (presumably a design document of some sort, followed by component selection and board layouts and so forth), but it can't jump straight from paper to mass production on an assembly line, so you have to build a few samples first. Some of the earliest samples may simply be mock-ups (empty or nearly empty shells with front and rear panels laid out but little or none of the "guts" inside). Complete, working test samples would have be built at some point, and they would then get picked over and re-done a bit to get things shaken out properly (possibly over a couple generations of test units). it is samples like this that I would expect to be used for beta testing once the design is far enough along. Only once the hardware and software is locked in would the factory start a full-blown assembly line to crank out large numbers of units. Until that assembly line kicks in, any samples that are rattling around (in-house testing, external beta testing, trade show demos) would be what I'd call "pre-production".

#52553 - 04/27/05 02:32 PM Re: 990 at the show and what's the new BIG suprise?
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
Dean & Gonk:

Here's a dog's eye view, since as many fellow Saloon residents know, it can be a long time to get something into production.

* Product concept goes to drawings and schematics
* Drawings go to ID mock-ups, schmatics to breadboards
* Breadboards to first spin of boards
* Boards on a breadboard
* First hand built samples with boards being changes to reflect updates
* Software started, tested, de-bugged, tested, debugged, tested -- -you get the idea
* "Off-tool" samples with latest boards and software
* Alpha testing
* Pre-production samples/pilot run
* Beta test at the same times as environmental testing, shipping testing, safety agency approval process, FCC (or other emmissions/RFI/EMI) testing, licensing approvals as needed from Dolby, DTS and maybe others
* Fix bugs and hardware issues and then go back two steps to retest
* Keep repeating until the aspirin runs out.
* Get more aspirin
* Cartons, manuals, other fun stuff you forgot and now have to catch up on
* FINALLY: Production.....

As many here know from their own jobs, ain't it a peach!

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#52554 - 04/27/05 03:16 PM Re: 990 at the show and what's the new BIG suprise?
audvid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairview, TX
But there's nothing pre-production about the 990. It's a real viable product that's hopefully coming off the boat soon.

Man, this carrot has been dangling in front of me for too long. I'm ready to buy. I wish Outlaw were ready to sell.

Definitely looking forward to the onsite reviews at the show.

#52555 - 04/27/05 03:24 PM Re: 990 at the show and what's the new BIG suprise?
gonk Offline
Desperado

It doesn't sound like you have long to wait on the 990. Based on the newsletter they sent out last night and the waiting list information (which suggested that people would be contacted approximately 10 days before their reserved unit was ready to ship), they appear to be shooting for putting lots of boxes in people's hands about three and a half weeks from now.

Or head up to New York this weekend and see if you can be one of the three lucky ones who get to buy the units they'll have on display there. smile

#52556 - 04/27/05 04:25 PM Re: 990 at the show and what's the new BIG suprise?
audvid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairview, TX
I didn't receive a newsletter from last night. I usually get all their newsletters. Last night April 26th?

#52557 - 04/27/05 04:33 PM Re: 990 at the show and what's the new BIG suprise?
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North of Dallas
I guess last night. I saw it this morning at 05:00 CST.

Among other things, here is the most important part:

An update for those on the Model 990 reservation list: The shipment is in sight, and we will absolutely begin shipments this coming month. Depending on a few last minute details, we expect to begin contacting the first of those on the reservation list with a confirmation/conversion message within a week or so after we return to the Hideout.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts