I’m on the waiting list but need the user manual to make a final decision. The details within will be critical in making a decision. I bought a 950 sometime back, but the absence of user-defined functions and some strange ergonomic designs forced me to return it. (Outlaw was very cooperative, and I can only compliment them as a company.) I have no doubt the 990 will sound as good as the Halcro, Lexicon, Bryston, etc. because most "differences" in amplification devices exist only in the imaginations of those "golden ear" types who hear things that aren't there. I am, however, confused as to why Outlaw included certain functions in a value-based unit that increase cost with no real return in performance or functionality.

1. Balanced outputs - I've never understood the need for these except 1) to satisfy audiophile paranoia, 2) in professional use where long cable runs are required, or 3) unusually noisy situations that rarely exist in the home. Otherwise, the inherent @3db improvement in noise is pointless because you cannot hear noise through the unbalanced outputs anyway.
2. AM-FM - Why, in this era of digital radio would Outlaw increase the price of the unit by adding an inherently non-hifi radio? If you like listening to compressed audio, buy a cheap receiver and use the tuner section.
3. Phono input - This is an irrelevant function for many users. Those who still play records can and should buy a separate phono preamp. I'm presuming the 990 will not handle moving-coil cartridges anyway.

Some design features that appear to be missing that would be nicer than the three items mentioned above:

1. It appears that 990, while it added the passing of OSD through component outputs, does not offer the same courtesy through the DVI connectors. While that would have added to the cost, I would rather have this function than all of the three previous items.
2. Two DVI inputs is a little short. Plug in satellite/cable and a DVD player, and you've got nothing left for expansion.
3. Firewire input? Well... it is an unsettled issue but a lot nicer than a tuner or a phono input.
4. Inclusion of USB: YIPPEE! Putting it on the back of the unit: BOO! Systems are often built in (like mine), making rear access difficult.
5. I'm hoping - but won't know until I see the manual - that the 990 will permit basic DSP funcions such as user-controlled high frequency contouring and delay in the surrounds, preferably allowing the .5 and .7 channels to be treated independently. It was a major factor in my decision to return the 950.
6. A Bryston-like 20-year guarantee would be a plus.
7. Outlaw's decisions on the use of DVI and the omission of room EQ were practical ones, although I would like to see a higly functional and user controlled EQ added as a firmware upgrade.

I'm hoping the 990 comes up to my needs. If so, I'll buy one. If not.. Well, I guess I'll just have to start saving the $10k for a Halcro. I'm a rootin' hard for ya, Outlaw!