Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Sorry for the double post...

#52480 - 04/25/05 11:17 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
bossobass Offline
Desperado

John,

Yes, I'm familiar with the 3805's 8 band digital parametric EQ in 'Auto' mode. I set another one up for a client 2 weeks ago, but chose the manual route, as I had my computer and measurement equipment with me and that's much more precise.

It's interesting to me how reviewers of this product say how 'precise' this auto EQ is, but show no before and after graphs of phase and FR curves.

Parametric EQ is a bandaid to fix the fact that the room isn't suited (placement/acoustic treatments/leaks/bad hardware, etc.) to a MC audio system. The majority of HTs out there are just a living room with hardware in it. Most of those enthusiasts have no clue how to employ an 8 band PEQ and Denon knows it.

Certainly, if you're one of the many who fit this category, the Denon receiver (a mid-fi, low powered MC receiver that uses bells and whistles to make up for it's sonic deficiencies, like Yammie, Onk, Sony, etc.) is for you.

I have no problem with that, I just dislike to see a new pre/pro slammed for not having a $50 digital EQ feature. Especially when Outlaw has explained why it doesn't, and those slighting it have not heard it.

In stating that they are familiar with the various versions of auto EQ out there, I'm sure that would include the version you speak of. I agree with Outlaw that there isn't a viable unit available yet. There may be one that is of good quality at a reasonable price one day, and it can be added to the 990 as an upgrade.

As I mentioned earlier, Lex has the best unit, but it alone costs the price of several 990s.

Bosso

#52481 - 04/25/05 11:58 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
Cliff Watson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Augusta, GA
"This also means that if you have an HDMI player and an HDMI display, and actually converted to DVI to use the switching in the 990, and then converted back for the display, you would also lose the below black information."

So are you claiming that the DVI switch on the 990 will transcode component (YPbPr) colorspace to RGB colorspace in the switch?

#52482 - 04/26/05 08:37 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Several have written about

"BELOW THE BLACK INFORMATION"

What is that? Thanks.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#52483 - 04/26/05 09:40 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
bossobass,

Did you run an auto setup configuration and then compare to your manual configuration?

#52484 - 04/26/05 10:00 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
ill say it again, perhaps more clearly this time. hdmi is nothing without the ability to pass audio. that is what it was intended to become, one cable that did it all digitally. i think that will happen. how is firewire possibly the answer when it is clearly going to be superceded by hdmi? i can understand your argument for hdmi over dvi, but never firewire over dvi. i.link is a sony term, nobody likes sony! IEEE 1394 if you prefer that over firewire, though its all the same and just a higher speed usb. if you are gonna complain that the 990 had dvi, make your complaint that it doesnt have hdmi not firewire. though i am not at all surprised that they didnt do hdmi because it is not proven YET. who wants to make a product for something that is going to happen, that could possibly not work with that final product due to changes in its development. dvi is established, and while, like anything, it will be bettered, it is the most practical choice today.

#52485 - 04/26/05 10:53 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Paratrooper:
bossobass,

Did you run an auto setup configuration and then compare to your manual configuration?
PT,

Yes, I did. I used a high quality measurement mic connected to my interface/computer vs. the optional Denon mic into the receiver, and tweaked the EQ manually, mostly for curiosity's sake.

Unless you have the equipment to measure the results, the power of suggestion is the Denon auto EQ's best asset.

Just an opinion, in agreement with Outlaw's position on the matter.

Bosso

#52486 - 04/26/05 11:10 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North of Dallas
nfaguys, BTB is the ability for a display/source component to pass below black. If you have a copy of DVE - Digital Video Essentials - you can do the PLUGE pulse test to see if your display shows Blacker than black. There are 3 pluge pulses with the outer one being BTB. It's an easy way to adjust brightness. You turn down the brightness until the BTB pluge pulse just disappears. The THX optimizer akso has a BTB pattern. It's the shadow of the THX logo.

That sets your display at optimum brightness. Some argue that it is not necessary to be able to display BTB; I like it because it makes adjusting brightness a snap for me.

#52487 - 04/26/05 11:35 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Here's a useful quote from the Secrets link Kevin posted on the previous page:

Quote:
If however, you have an HDMI source and a DVI display, the below-black video information may be lost in the translation. There is a bug in the Silicon Image HDMI transmitter that pops up when converting YCbCr to RGB.
Does this affect using a DVI switcher between HDMI source and HDMI display? Since the DVI switch is a pure switching mechanism, with no processing applied, my understanding of it suggests that there is no issue - the DVI switching is simply shuffling the pin pattern of the wires carrying the signal at the switch. So the issue is really not related to the 990 at all, but to the source and display components that might be used - in which case, the problem would exist (or not exist, depending on the combination of source and display components) even if the 990 weren't used.

#52488 - 04/26/05 03:20 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
Alvin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, Al US
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
[b]>> "DVI is only 8 bit, but HDMI can go up to 12 bits."

> Both are 8-bit for RGB. YCbCr on HDMI can be 8, 10, or 12-bit.

From the Secrets article:
Quote:
If however, you have an HDMI source and a DVI display, the below-black video information may be lost in the translation.
Quote:
Also, DVD data are YCbCr (not RGB), and are converted to RGB in the player for the DVI output. RGB cannot represent all the data in YCbCr, and this is why the below-black information gets truncated.
This also means that if you have an HDMI player and an HDMI display, and actually converted to DVI to use the switching in the 990, and then converted back for the display, you would also lose the below black information.

Quote:
At CEDIA 2004, new DVD players and projectors had HDMI, but no DVI, which means DVI is just about gone after only one year on the market.
CEDIA 2004... [/b]
This is great information, but I'm getting lost in it.

Given that audio standards are not resolved for HDMI, I'll omit any questions on that subject.

If I had a (video) DVI source and DVI display, you're saying it would still be (potentially) inferior to an HDMI source and display?

And, that DVD data (until we see HDDVD or BluRay?) is converted to analog before the DVI output - so is it no "better" than regular RCA connected RGB outs from a DVD?

Where does the old computer VGA connecter fall in this hierarchy? That is, my Infocus 5700 has a VGA input and a DVI input - if I had a computer playing a DVD, would the data also be converted to analog before leaving the computer video card?

If there is no video improvement available from DVDs beyond analog due to the type data,does it make any difference which connections you use (RGB via RCA, VGA, DVI, HDMI)?

Thanks...

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Outlaw Ben), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts