Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#52509 - 04/29/05 10:49 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That would seem like a pretty significant upgrade for a processor in this price range, especially if they fully implemented HDMI audio (likely to affect a lot of internal hardware to tie the HDMI audio in and make sure the DSP can handle the HD versions of Dolby Digital and DTS as well as DVD-A and SACD presumably). Outlaw hasn't said anything either way, but my suspicion is that the answer would be "no." I suppose they could surprise us all, though...

#52510 - 04/29/05 12:20 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
Alvin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, Al US
Most of you prbably know this, but I just visited a web site and found a Grefen DVI switcher - 1 input, 2 outputs - selling for $250. That's either an outrageous price or the 990 is an outrageous bargin.

#52511 - 04/29/05 12:23 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
Alvin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, Al US
bargain, that is....

#52512 - 05/01/05 09:18 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
Gonk wrote: This comment piqued my interest, but I've been unable to find anything about a successor to the P-965. Have you got some more information about this?

Yes Gonk, I do have some inside information from a vary reliable source from within Sherwood, that the P-965 will soon be updated with auto eq from audyssey. However, they will not be upgrading to HDMI because they didn't leave enough room in the unit, and the cost factor would be staggering for them. I do believe that we will see Outlaw offering auto eq for the 990 eventually as well, as they have stated that they would. I would be willing to wait it out without a problem. I think, but I am not 100% sure that Audyssey is coming out with an improved version of there auto eq system. Maybe Outlaw knows this? There is still the HDMI concern for me though. I just don't know what to think about this issue. It is a timing factor, and a guessing game as to when everything will fall into place. Sorry for the delay in responding to your question.

#52513 - 05/01/05 12:35 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
Cliff Watson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Augusta, GA
” Yes Gonk, I do have some inside information from a vary reliable source from within Sherwood, that the P-965 will soon be updated with auto eq from audyssey.”

Actually, according to the VP of Marketing at Sherwood USA the P-965 will be upgraded with Cirrus Single-Point AutoEQ within the next 30 days.

The P-965 nor the Outlaw 990 have enough DSP power or memory to support Audyssey Multi-Point AutoEQ internally.

There has been some discussion with Audyssey about releasing a computer software package that would support Multi-Point AutoEQ and then write the firmware upgrade to be loaded into the P-965. However, there is currently no agreement with Cirrus Logic to obtain the source code needed to write the firmware upgrade and Cirrus may not be willing to release the code into the public domain.

#52514 - 05/01/05 02:13 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
Quote:
Actually, according to the VP of Marketing at Sherwood USA the P-965 will be upgraded with Cirrus Single-Point AutoEQ within the next 30 days.
This is highly possible as I didn't really ask if they would use Cirrus or Audyssey. I just assumed that they would be using Audyssey. I am awaiting a call to clarify this point that you have made. Wow, if Outlaw can not use the Audyssey either and would need to use Cirrus, humm, I may as well not wait it out.

#52515 - 06/07/05 05:03 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
mm_half3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:

HDMI's great benefit over DVI is the ability to carry audio. However, that ability has not been properly developed yet. Big corporations like JVC or Panasonic can tuck an HDMI 1.1 input into a receiver and leave consumers with a product that won't work with the final standard (SACD, high definition video discs), but a company like Outlaw would be crazy to do so.

When will HDMI audio be truly ready? That depends in large part on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. If both formats roll out on schedule, HDMI will need to be pinned down in the next 12 months. If the two do merge, as is rumored, it could take longer - possibly 2 more years or more - to get all the details nailed down. By then, the 990 will be at least 2 years old. It's 7.1 analog input will provide an avenue for compatibility, and a future generation unit can have HDMI integrated.
So far I like my 990, and am happy with the dvi switching on it...or will be once I finish off a ground problem with my projector...but since I am not really versed in the possibile benefits of transmitting audio via hdmi, as compared to the current tosilink digital connection, or analog via rca's, this is where I am a little concerned. I figured the only real benefit was reducing the number of cables from source to pre/pro, but was not worried because I don't mind runnning audio on seperate cables. Since I started reading some on hdmi, have seen it posted in forums that the new HD audio formats (HD DTS etc..) will have bandwidth requirements that tosilink connections won't be able to support. This does concern me some, because I would like to keep my 990 for more than 2 years, and definitely see myself jumping on HD dvd in whatever format wins. It seems like from Gonk's post, the 7.1 analog ins are there to allow the 990 to get the audio signals from hd dvd/blue ray devices (is it even a given they will have analog outs?), assuming the 990 can be upgraded to decode HDdts or other new audio formats, just want to verify the 7.1 analog inputs are the 990's answer for input of audio from hd dvd devices. Or is the bandwidth limitations of tosilink connections only speculation, and they will be able to send the audio from HD audio formats to the 990.

#52516 - 06/07/05 08:03 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Pretty much the only way the 990 could decode HD-DVD is if HDMI Audio inputs were added and most probably a major processor upgrade. Not an easy feat with the present platform. Having said that with 7.1 analog inputs you would not be decoding HD-DVD in the 990 but rather in the player. It is really unknown at this time whether either of the HD DVD formats will support analog HD audio or if HD audio will only be output over HDMI.

#52517 - 06/07/05 09:00 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
Obie is correct about the ambivalence of the HD-DVD standards. One thing to keep in mind is that they're at least proposing a host of Digital Rights Management features. On the video side, DRM will be in full force - meaning that none of the players would be allowed to have analog video outs (read: no component outs) in order to ensure the digital protection is enforced.

Not sure how the audio will be handled, but if it follows the video lead, there won't be any analog audio outs, either. mad

#52518 - 06/07/05 10:25 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The only Blu-Ray player likely to omit built-in Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD decodes is the Playstation 3. Standalone players are going to have to include built-in decoders with 7.1 analog outputs much like early DVD players included built-in Dolby Digital decoders because of the large installed base of receivers and processors with no way to handle the decoding internally. In fact, the need for it is even greater now because the installed base of home theaters has grown drastically since DVD was launched in '97.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 99 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts