Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#52499 - 04/27/05 06:20 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
Alvin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, Al US
And sorry for 2 posts - but the OPPO web page says they have the DVD player in stock...

#52500 - 04/27/05 07:10 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
Alvin:

Without questioning Secrets, the more important thing to note is that they are talking about an Rx/Tx situation, which I'll bet is different than the pure switch that seems to be what is in the 990. If there is no conversion, no "taking apart" of the signal and "putting it back together again", then there should be no problem.

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#52501 - 04/27/05 10:35 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
John,

Saying that the 990 is '...dated before it even hits the warehouse' because it lacks 'auto EQ' and HDMI is what provoked my response.

1st, you asked me if I have ever reviewed auto EQ, I replied that I have. Now, you want to know what measurement equipment I use. I didn't detect in those questions a sincere wish to actually know the answers.

Though I appreciate the ad for Holman's latest money-maker and I'm glad for you that you like it so, I will repeat, in abridged form, once more for you.

1. I don't believe you can 'fix' a room by employing parametric EQ.

2. The Denon 3805 receiver's version of whomever's auto EQ is indeed a parametric EQ. Whether or not it uses IIR or Multi-tap FIR filters matters not. The parameters are Frequency Center, Bandwidth or 'Q' and Boost/Cut or Gain.

3. The $60 (approx street) microphone...well, I'll be kind here and just say that it's modest for it's intended task.

4. The manual clearly instructs the owner of the 3805 to place the mic at ear height at the primary LP. How that exercise will 'fix' every seat in the house is baffling to me. Actually, it isn't at all baffling, it simply won't.

5. For the money, the 3805 is a decent HT receiver, that's why I recommend it. It has bells and whistles in lieu of sonic accuracy. EQ of any sort doesn't 'fix' that.

I think your blurb about some other product should be as you first approached the subject. A link to the info for those who might be interested. The last post belongs in some appropriate forum, not here.

I've been coming here for years and have purchased, directly or indirectly, many Outlaw products. I've been waiting for this pre/pro for a long while, as have others. I'm excited to hear everything about it. I dislike hearing negative things from anyone who has never done more than read the specs and look at a picture about features that it doesn't have.

Just as I believe that analog component is as good as DVI, I believe that analog filtering is still better than the DSP approach...so far. My Opinion.

Outlaw has said that they haven't seen a diigital room correction product that meets their standards yet, so it wasn't included, but they have provisions for that sort of product to be added when it may become available. Hardly 'dated before it hits the warehouse'.

I also believe that, in the near term, they are right about not including the so-called HDMI for the so-called HD software of the future that may or may not be available for purchase by year's end.

If I didn't think Outlaw is right about those things, I wouldn't be interested in the 990, In which case, I wouldn't be here telling eveyone why I'm not interested.

I'm sorry if I seem combative. You'll just have to get over that. I think this subject is off topic for this thread. You should maybe start another thread about auto EQ.

Bosso

#52502 - 04/28/05 03:13 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
If the DVI switching in the 990 is a 8 bit digital switching, then it is likely you will lose higher res info than that.

Ask them. Don't assume.

The more I think about it, the more I think DVI is a mistake. Right now, today, HDMI already does what DVI does. Look at the players and displays coming out now: almost all of them have HDMI. I don't understand comments regarding any uncertainty surrounding HDMI. As far as video goes, and that is all DVI does in the first place, nothing will change with HDMI. The only things that newer versions will give is possibly transmission of SACD/DSD, and the newer high def versions of DD and DTS. So what. DVI can't do any of those anyway. So why hold off on HDMI when any new advancements won't affect video anyway? But yet HDMI passes CD audio, and DD (EX) and DTS (ES) audio *now*.

The big picture view is that i.Link + DVI = HDMI. So then why include DVI but not i.Link? Makes no sense to me. DVI is disapearing in consumer products. Going, going, gone. I can understand wanting to be in Outlaw's corner. Heck, I had a 950 and really liked it. I almost bought a 755 amp, and I still hope they do a DVD player (but I guess it won't have ... i.Link ... if they ever do. smile ). But to overlook the facts at hand just to emotionally support a product because you like the company ignores what is going to drive a product's sales in the marketplace.

None of this matters much anyway. What does matter, is that I now have a firm belief that Outlaw will sell a bunch of 990s. But not near as many as the 950's that they sold. I believe that the 950 had some unique features that people specifically bought the unit for. The 990? DVI but not HDMI and/or i.Link, only 2 coax inputs, and I personally view digital bass management on the 5.1 analog inputs as a step backwards from the 950's analog BM...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#52503 - 04/28/05 09:30 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Ask them. Don't assume.
Absolutely! That's an excellent idea. I should have done that earlier this week, but didn't think about it. I fired off an e-mail this morning and caught an Outlaw on his way out the door to New York. Here's his response:

Quote:
DVI is pure pass through- nothing more than a switch for two inputs. It adds or subtracts nothing. Think of it like adding physical adaptor to an HDMI cable and then another adaptor to get the HDMI pins again. No conversion or processing whatsoever.
This description of the switching matches my previous understanding of it. The problem with losing the "blacker than black" data going from 10-bit YCrCb HDMI to 8-bit DVI is not the adapters used to connect the two - HDMI and DVI are perfectly pin-compatible, after all, so the data itself comes through the adapter(s) without being altered in any way. The problem lies in how a DVI display processes a 10-bit HDMI source.

I think the reason Outlaw used DVI instead of HDMI is partly perception. Whichever one they used would provide equally effective digital video switching, which is the greatest benefit of either option. HDMI would provide Dolby Digital and DTS audio, but we've already got that with coaxial and optical (formats that people are familiar with, everyone has on source components, and are convenient). It could also provide DVD-Audio, which would be convenient for a few people (those with the handful of HDMI-equipped DVD-Audio players) - most folks would still be wagging half a dozen analog cables from their DVD-Audio player to the 7.1 input, including anyone with a universal player who also wanted to listen to SACD's. What an HDMI input would not do is provide audio for the future hardware that will make the greatest use of HDMI - which while harmless today would be likely to confuse and anger existing 990 owners in a year or two when they tried to use it and discovered that the HDMI they bought doesn't do everything they expect it to be able to do. A DVI connection is clearly different and clearly a purely digital video switching solution. Is this the perfect solution? Heck no, but I don't think there is a perfect solution available today, so any approach will have to accept some compromises.

#52504 - 04/28/05 10:56 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
Alvin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, Al US
bossobass: Just as I believe that analog component is as good as DVI

You know, I've heard that before but had forgotten it - I wonder if that opinion is shared by other readers of this thread? I've been stresing over whether or not I should upgrade my pre/pro because I very much wanted the 990 - but maybe I should just keep my current component switching pre/pro and wait for the next outlaw product which will probably have HDMI switching.

#52505 - 04/28/05 07:50 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
Bosso,

I think that both of our individual post speak for themselves regarding the EQ subject. I also believe that Mr Hollman's reputation, and credentials, speak for themselves. I am not going to continue to debate this subject with you any longer, as you have far to many emotions involved, to have an intellectual conversation with at this time. Maybe another time.

#52506 - 04/28/05 10:45 PM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I think the 990 is a good value. Here is a picture that may help some decide.

Closer Look

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#52507 - 04/29/05 09:52 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Mean Gene,

You convinced me, I'm going for the $3000.00 unit. With bright metal on the rear,it has got to be three times better that the 990. NOT!!!

#52508 - 04/29/05 10:26 AM Re: protocols :i-link/HDMI/DVI/SACD/DSD etc
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North of Dallas
MeanGene, I have no doubt the 990 will be a good value. When HDMI (or iLink) is standardized, what are the chances the 990 can be sent back for an upgrade?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM