Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5216 - 01/04/03 08:27 PM DVD Audio?
gwhunran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
Are there several ways to connect DVD-Audio
components up to a receiver? I have read a few articles on the subject of DVD-Audio, but have not seen a player yet. I remember that one of the articles made mention of the player having six outputs,(one for each channel) to input into the rcvr. I know that my rcvr does not have this type of input connections. Do most players also have a digital optical or digital coax output? I know that my rcvr has that type of input available.

------------------
Richard Nash

#5217 - 01/05/03 05:14 AM Re: DVD Audio?
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Nope. That's the most common complaint (that I've seen) about the format (and SACD as well) is that there is ONLY analog out. There has been some noise lately about a possible digital output, but nothing solid that I have heard. Any of you other Outlaws have something to add?

#5218 - 01/06/03 04:28 PM Re: DVD Audio?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
The hook-up depends on the resolution you want from the disc. With DVD-A, you can use a digital audio connection to recieve 24/96 information on the disc. If you want the highest resolution possible audio, you will need to use the analog outs on the player into the direct, usually labeled pre-amp, inputs on your reciever.

There are a ton on low cost DVD-Audio players on the market. To say that a player reads DVD-Audio, the player currently needs to have the analog output. However, the majority of DVD-Audio players double as DVD-Video players. Therefore, these players will also have a digital connection on them. Search this forum for recommended DVD players and most people will recommend a deck that does both video and some form of high-res audio.

The reason you don't see a digital output yet for the highest resolution audio is that when you connect a digital output to a reciever almost all currently available recievers will downconvert (a new word??)the information stream to a lower resolution. This conversion defeats most of the benefits of the higher resolution recording. The only player/reciever combination I've heard of with a high-res digital connection is a proprietary model made by Sharp for SACDs.

For info on DVD-audio, check out this website:
www.highfidelityreview.com
You can also check out Telarc's and Chesky's websites for more info.

#5219 - 01/06/03 05:25 PM Re: DVD Audio?
gwhunran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
Is the output of the RCVR (w/o 6 analog inputs), two channel at the lower bit rate, or is it decoded like dvd video-dolby digital with 5 separate channels at a lower bit rate? I realize that SACD is currnetly 2 channel, correct?

------------------
Richard Nash

#5220 - 01/07/03 08:37 AM Re: DVD Audio?
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
The answer is: It depends.

Most mainstream DVD-As are compatible with DVD video players (i.e. those players that don't support DVD-A). In this case, the player outputs through the digital connection to your receiver. You need to carefully check each disc to make sure it supports DD or DTS. Some are DD 2.0 and 5.1. In these cases, you are not getting the high resolution audio from the disc.

When you have a DVD-A player, you need to hook it up with analog interconnects in order to get the high resolution audio. Again depending on the disc, you can select surround (6 channel but not necessarily 5.1) or stereo. One more important note, some discs disable the ability to listen to the DD tracks if the player is capable of playing DVD-A. Warner Brothers is notorious for this.

#5221 - 01/07/03 11:34 AM Re: DVD Audio?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Ummm...I don't quite understand your question about the output of the reciever. I think what you mean is that the normal analog, not direct, inputs on the reciever add some sort of DSP to the input, thus coloring the sound of a high-resolution source. Dobly Digital and DTS work at their own bit rates dependent on the disc. If you're thinking of the Sharp combination I mentioned, it works at a 1-bit rate connection. This is the standard of DSD, or the technology behind SACDs.

SACD is multi-channel capable dependent on the disc. I have a multi-channel SACD player that I really like. Go take a look at Sony's site for more information on the format.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts