Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 35 of 41 < 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 40 41 >
Topic Options
#52165 - 04/14/05 05:44 PM Re: 990
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
I agree about the remote, The remote that comes with the unit should be able to control everything on the unit itself and serve as a good programming tool for the remote that will replace it smile

I've got an MX-700 and now I'd almost rather be able to download the remote codes than to even get a new remote with the device

Also, if Outlaw put a high dollar remote with their components it's likely people would buy something else because of the remote... I personally prefer hard button remotes to touchscreens so if they had put in a phillips pronto or something I'd be tempted to look at some other product that spent more on the preamp than the remote....

Of course, Outlaw is the type of company that would probably allow people to customize their order enough to not include a remote at all smile that'd be cool...

#52166 - 04/14/05 09:29 PM Re: 990
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

I have a Pronto and would have loved replacing it with an MX-500 remote like the one included with the Sherwood Newcastle. From my POV it narrows the price/performance ratio between the two processors. I have the Radio Shack version of the main 990 remote and don't care for it at all.

#52167 - 04/14/05 10:26 PM Re: 990
Elvis Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Roseville, CA, USA
Does anyone know if the channel trim memory is global or can you set it per input? I can't seem to find that in the specs.

#52168 - 04/14/05 11:20 PM Re: 990
Slee_Stack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: GA
Whoever comes up with a completely modular pre/pro at a respectable price is going to do some good business.

Pop in your balanced output card, hdmi card, analog video in card, etc. Buy what you want, everybody's happy.

But how to do that inexpensively...

#52169 - 04/15/05 12:46 AM Re: 990
SteveCallas Offline
Gunslinger

As far as needing two outputds because of the Xbox, why not use 1 component input on the tv set dedicated for the Xbox and a 2nd for the component out from the 990? If you have more than 1 component input on your tv, put it to use.

#52170 - 04/15/05 01:36 AM Re: 990
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
Quote:
The Model 990 converts the sample rate of the left/right front channels of digital audio sources from 20 bit/48 kHz to 24 bit/192 KHz. Contrary to some audio myths this does not "increase the resolution" of the recording as you cannot create bits where none existed. However, what it does do is move the audio portion of the signal away form the "brick wall filter" that is usually present at 22 kHz. Without getting too technical, these filters often affect the phase integrity of the audible high frequencies. An up-sampled signal helps to restore the proper phase relationships of these extreme musical highs. This feature is particularly valuable for those with high-resolution loudspeakers, where you will hear a discernable improvement in the top end
As I stated in a previous post, the Sherwood P-965 sounded a bit edgy to me when I auditioned it in my system. It sounds like others may have felt that the high frequency needed some fine tuning as well. This is good news as the Sherwood P-965 is a very nice piece, and I would have kept it if it wasn't for the musicality of the unit. The improved bass management with the 990 is enticing as well, and should add some further fine tuning flexibility to the lower end in various set ups. I would have liked to have seen the same remote as the Sherwood uses be included with the 990. I found the Sherwood's remote to be very enjoyable and easy to use. Given the trade offs though, I would prefer a better sounding and more flexible piece, then one with a fancy remote. I do have a few questions, one having to do with the upgrade to room EQ when an acceptable EQ system is available.One of my questions is, what would constitute acceptable as far as a room EQ system goes, and what is wrong with the current versions of available room EQ? I have to say that the units that I have tested with room EQ, I found there to be a very noticeable and much improved difference in the surround modes, both with music and with movies. No matter how hard I tried to duplicate or improve the sound over the auto room EQ, I couldn't. Of course, and unfortunately for me, the two units that I am speaking of are high end receivers that I just couldn't get into from a musical standpoint. On to another question. Why would ones position on the reservation list not be made available to them? The type of hype and anxiety that I have witnessed over the last 2 weeks created by the Outlaws withholding of information is not very pleasing. I can understand not providing shipping dates times etc... because of the variables that are involved, but other information that is being and has been with held is concerning.

#52171 - 04/15/05 02:17 AM Re: 990
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
What information being witheld is concerning to you? As far as I can tell, they're being pretty straightforward about things. Not being in the market for a new pre/pro yet (someday...) I'm able to watch all of this without being too emotionally involved. I do still get excited about it, though. It's fun stuff and it's fun to dream and plan...

However, I don't see them being particularly shady or underhanded like I feel that you're suggesting, jhunt. I don't see them creating anxiety and witholding crucial details. I do see them announcing products, providing pictures, specs, and rough time frames of availability and even answering questions. It seems to me that this release is actually being handled pretty smoothly so far. I think they've learned a lot from the release of the 950.

#52172 - 04/15/05 03:23 AM Re: 990
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
Well, you are entitled to your opinion and views, and I mine. Shady and underhanded though. How did you come up with this kind of inflammatory innuendo? Are you trying to read in between the lines of my post? If so you are not doing a vary good job at it and are way off track. If I thought for a minuet that the company was, or is shady and underhanded, I wouldn't have any interest in there products or in doing business with them on any level.You also wouldn't have been responding to one of my post. I think that you need to review all of the post over the last 12 days, as well re-read mine, and then maybe you will have some clarity and understanding as to what I am referring to. If not, I am sorry for that.

#52173 - 04/15/05 03:57 AM Re: 990
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I have been following the thread every day and I wasn't trying to be inflammatory. I guess when I read things like "...hype and anxiety... created by the Outlaws withholding of information..." and "...but other information that is being and has been with held is concerning." I infer something different than what you were trying to imply. To me, that type of wording has an impact and meaning which your follow up post seems to be suggesting is quite different from what was intended by you. You'll notice I did say that that was my interpretation, not what you actually said. I suppose this is one of those times where the reader and the author weren't on the same plane. It's easy to make misunderstandings when we don't know one another and only have a handful of cold faceless text to go by. wink

Please try and clarify for me what your sticking points are.

#52174 - 04/15/05 07:23 AM Re: 990
JeffreyMercado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Queens Village
I play my XBOX on the big screen, front projector. I guess I could just hook it up directly to the projector and use the DVI from the cable box, and the DVI from the DVD player into the DVI in and out to the projector.

Page 35 of 41 < 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 40 41 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts