Page 27 of 41 < 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 40 41 >
Topic Options
#52085 - 04/07/05 12:41 AM Re: 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Cheezehead:
Gonk, just a little more info on the new audio formats. I read your post earlier and now I am confused. Are the new audio formats coming out for HD dvd players (which ever format they choose) deliver audio out in HDMI format only. In other words will they have no allowance for DVI and a toslink audio, or stritly just HDMI? Or is it just too soon to know?
I can't claim to be the ultimate expert on this subject, but from what I have seen, the problem appears to simply be that we don't know. There will be audio via HDMI for any HD format. There will also be new audio formats (Dolby Digital Plus, for example). The catch currently is that nothing beyond that is quite finalized - if you look at the Blu-Ray FAQ, for example, the supported audio codecs are not even worked out yet. Will DD Plus and its DTS counterpart require the bandwdith of HDMI? It's a possibility, although some of the literature I found on DD Plus suggests that it is intended to work within existing bandwidth limitations and even to allow compatibility with existing DD decoders (presumably without the full benefits of the format). I would assume that there will still be audio data of some sort available via optical or coaxial digital output, but since things still seem up in the air with both HD disc formats it's hard to tell for sure what that data might include. Heck, there may even be non-technical reasons (copy protection, specifically) that lead to any new audio formats being restricted to encrypted HDMI or multichannel analog output from HD disc players, similar to the restrictions placed on DVD-Audio and SACD. Time will tell...

#52086 - 04/07/05 01:08 AM Re: 990
moonhawk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: La Madera, New Mexico
A quick check of the original announcement doesn't reveal any mention of firewire....

Seems that would be useful, as it's the only digital connection currently allowed to carry all formats.

#52087 - 04/07/05 02:09 AM Re: 990
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
If it has fireiwre i.link, it'd get the 990. If it doesn't, I'll be keeping my 950 while waiting for a budget pre/pro that comes with it. One is bound to be made, sooner or later.

Will

#52088 - 04/07/05 10:59 AM Re: 990
Bobbski Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Illinois
Thanx, Az. That's the answer I was looking for. If I probably will have to put the preamp in my 'other' rack since the preamp's taller now, since it's about 6 feet away, I'd need some passive way to change over from balanced to unbalanced. I didn't know there was an equivalent audio balun to an RF one, but figured somebody had to have a solution for that.

#52089 - 04/07/05 12:34 PM Re: 990
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
I can't claim to be the ultimate expert on this subject, but from what I have seen, the problem appears to simply be that we don't know.
I agree with Gonk... and add, that if we take history to lesson, the connection which will pass a protected signal will change as the HD-DVD/Bluray players are produced and begin to evolve.

When SD-DVDs started, component video was considered de-rigor for up to HD resolution connections. Then Hollywood got paranoid, and us early adopting HDTV owners got screwed by SD-DVD players which only gave their best resolutions via DVI-D/HDMI connections.

Unless you've got LOTS of money to blow.... I'd wait to buy into HD-DVD/Bluray until they are at least a few versions into the format... otherwise, prepare to buy a new display to match Hollywoods paranoia. frown

Those who don't learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. wink
merc\'s primary system

#52090 - 04/07/05 08:00 PM Re: 990
DarthSimon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
Ahhhh.... How nice... A new PrePro from Outlaw!!! My Lexicon may take this one personal...

Thanks,
Steve Simon
WWW.HomeTheaterForum.Com
Administration

#52091 - 04/07/05 09:22 PM Re: 990
Last Call Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sheboygan Falls, WI
I'm with Perfect....this is just a little to soon for my HT room but I actually think that it is a blessing in disguise. I figure they released the 990 now because the 1070 is a 950 killer and they needed a replacement first. I know that many of you are pure pre/pro guys but I'd still like to see what the 1070 has going before I invest. My HK3475 really pounds my Studio 60s at half volume, especially with the LFM backing them up. It's much louder than anyone would ever listen to it for any length of time and drives them clean @75W. I have to believe that the 1070 will do the same for movies @65W. I know that seperates are always the best but if you aren't running full towers does it still make sense to spend that extra $$? Of course we don't know the features on the 1070 yet and there may be something critical missing, but that is why I think it may be smart to hold off. Anyone got an opinion....come on...I know you do!

BTW, with the Outlaw decision to utilize USB I've planned my wiring closet oppsite of my HT room so I don't have to leave a noisy HTPC or server in the same room that I am sitting in. Don't forget, You can only run a USB cable ~15'. Of course you can bridge up to 5 hubs together for longer runs (that makes me cringe) or possibly use a usb ethernet adapter but I'm not sure how that would work on a preamp. Anyone know if it is USB2? I have to believe it is.

#52092 - 04/07/05 10:22 PM Re: 990
Logain Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
I am too excited about the 990...My wife thinks I am going crazy. And for the record I think it looks really cool. And the wife thinks it look simple and elegant. I am ready to drink the cool aid and order one sight unseen...

Anyways..since people are guessing that the 990 is based of the Sherwood P-965, is it right to think we may get the same performce?

If so this could be a winner. The Sherwood P-965 seems to be getting great reviews and holding it's own with more expensive processors.

Hey Merc and Pat..thanks for taking a few for the team on AVS. I thought it was great how mad outlaw seems to make some people over there. Seems people don't like the idea of bang for the buck...makes some of their purchases seem over priced? smile Maybe:)

#52093 - 04/07/05 10:47 PM Re: 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There is no single right answer, of course - what is good for one person may not work for another. If there was a single right answer, we'd all be using the same equipment and all we'd have to talk about here is the weather. smile Based on what we've seen so far, the Model 990 looks extremely interesting, but the Model 1070 (which will cost at least $100 less and won't need separate amplification) will still be a better fit for certain people. If you're on the fence, it makes sense to hang out there for a while and see how it plays out then use Outlaw's 30-day return policy to try out the option that appeals the most.

I don't know if we've heard yet just what all the USB port will do. From the newsletter, it sounds like it will allow for firmware updates to the 990 (as an alternative to the RS-232 port) and apparently audio playback from a PC as well. Like you, I also strongly suspect that it is USB 2.0, but we don't really have anything definitive on that yet.

#52094 - 04/07/05 11:22 PM Re: 990
Slee_Stack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: GA
Wouldn't matter much if it is USB2.0 or 1.1. Streaming music doesn't need a super-fast transfer rate and upgrades won't be that often to matter much if it takes 1min or 10min to do.

Page 27 of 41 < 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 40 41 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 167 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts