Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 41 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 40 41 >
Topic Options
#51885 - 04/03/05 01:05 PM Re: 990
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I'd really like to see a pic of the back where I could read that tiny little text... :rolleyes:

#51886 - 04/03/05 01:21 PM Re: 990
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Maybe it can be ordered by July 2006!! After rethinking my DVI-HDMI position. I believe that DVI is the way to go on the 990. I see no reason to take Multi-Channel audio to my display(TV), as all of my audio is processed by my Pre/Pro(950).

#51887 - 04/03/05 01:32 PM Re: 990
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Quote:
Originally posted by Paratrooper:
Maybe it can be ordered by July 2006!! After rethinking my DVI-HDMI position. I believe that DVI is the way to go on the 990. I see no reason to take Multi-Channel audio to my display(TV), as all of my audio is processed by my Pre/Pro(950).
I think the reason people want it for audio is because it reduces the amount of cables to achieve mc music from 6 to 1, not to mention you would no longer need a digital coax or optical for the dvd player and hdmi handles the video also, so no more component video. HDMI takes the back of a dvd player with 10 cables coming out and makes it 1. Pretty slick, but I'm not unhappy with DVI, I just think HDMI is much more versatile.

From a J6P perspective I would imagine having one cable on all of your equipment would make it easier to get into this hobby.

#51888 - 04/03/05 02:28 PM Re: 990
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Jed M,

Are you assuming, that a HDMI Switcher would also drop the audio in a pre-pro?

#51889 - 04/03/05 02:47 PM Re: 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I would assume that HDMI inputs would allow for audio input at the processor. I was not under the impression that it would provide digital audio for DVD-A and SACD, however - the standard agreed to by the DVD Forum for DVD-A was IEEE-1394 (and it's still far too rarely supported by hardware due to encryption issues that were handled separately from the Forum's acceptance of 1394). Unless there's been a change there, HDMI still wouldn't get rid of those six analog cables for universal players - and if there has been a change, you have to find a universal player that supports it.

Here's my take on DVI and HDMI, for what it's worth. DVI arrived on the scene first and has a very large installed base among existing HDTV's. It is also more common on sources like HD cable boxes, not to mention the upconverting DVD players that first appeared using DVI only. Because of these issues, getting DVI support will benefit the largest number of people. HDMI was a format without available hardware little more than a year ago, and it's only been in the last nine months or so that we've seen HDMI really showing up in hardware. We are moving toward an environment where we will need HDMI switching, but DVI switching is more likely to be useful today. The ideal case is a digital video switching section that accepts multiple DVI and multiple HDMI inputs (including audio on the HDMI) and provides monitor outputs of all of those digital inputs via either DVI or HDMI. The only way to get that today is Denon's latest super-flagship receiver, complete with $6000 price tag. For products that have been in the development pipeline for a couple years, DVI switching is a logical choice that will offer a lot of people exactly what they need.

#51890 - 04/03/05 02:58 PM Re: 990
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
Hmm. My Mackie 824 powered monitors have balanced inputs but my custom speaker lines are male rca to male 1/4" to accomodate the outs on the 950. If I upgrade to the 990 I'll have to upgrade the lines (and crawl through the attic again to run 'em. Yuch!) Why, o why does technology have to march onward? (Is anyone else waiting for Microsoft to release their new OS before replacing their pc?)

Jay

#51891 - 04/03/05 03:06 PM Re: 990
DMF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlantis
RS-232 port means software upgradable!

Couple things I can't make out - the white square below the component block? The block to the (viewer's) right of it?

Triggers in the upper right? On/off below the AC jack? Apparently blank spaces to the left of the upper and lower composite inputs?

#51892 - 04/03/05 03:12 PM Re: 990
JeffreyMercado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Queens Village
Thanks for the backshot Scott. This is creating quite a buzz. But since we experienced so much of a wait time with the 950, is this information being released to tease. As the 1070 that has yet to be released, but that was announced last year. Or is Outlaw ready to pull out it's six shooter within the next few months. You know the question is coming at the NYCHT show. So why not quiet the masses instead of this eternal teasing.

#51893 - 04/03/05 04:13 PM Re: 990
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

I'm hoping that white square is a firewire port, that would partially smooth over the lack of HDMI input. Maybe it is just me but the big advantage of HDMI is not switching or cable management but the all digital high bandwith path into the Pre/Pro. Why buy a fancy processor if you have to bypass the digital section and just pass through the analog hi-res signals? This will become even more important once the HD versions of DD and DTS get here. I'm thinking the Outlaws have to get this 990 out fast or it will be obsolete in six months.

HDMI has been approved for DVD-Audio for some time I believe the Pioneers and Denons and maybe others are already doing it.

#51894 - 04/03/05 06:18 PM Re: 990
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
When I made my mention of HDMI capabilities I was referring mostly to the future possibilities. We already know the limitations of DVI. In no way am I complaining about the new Outlaw, as I think DVI switching is great, it's just my opinion that there are vast more possibilities with HDMI.

Page 7 of 41 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 40 41 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts