Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 22 of 41 < 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 40 41 >
Topic Options
#52035 - 04/05/05 05:51 PM Re: 990
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
Now don't get all up in a snit. I only stated that there are no electronic devices that are totally devoid of noise, which you seemed to imply. If somebody has told you otherwise, they were feeding you bad information.
All we can do is try to find the system which is the most neutral and most noise free to our own ears. And in my current gear, that point was reached when I switched from RCA to XLR balanced connections. And, I now have more information from you on this topic than I ever got from any equipment company, so to switch back would mean that I was simply following your marketing hype? wink

Quote:
You are way out of line with the profanity.
As were you in your reply... I think the current score is 2 BS's for me, and 2 BS's for you. Seems like we're tied. If the word BS really bothered you, I'd recommend that you not post it in your quotes anymore. In the future, so not to inflame your sensibilites, I'll use the abbreviation BS. laugh
merc\'s primary system

#52036 - 04/05/05 06:08 PM Re: 990
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by merc:
I now have more information from you on this topic than I ever got from any equipment company, so to switch back would mean that I was simply following your marketing hype? wink
I'm not asking you to switch your equipment to anything, and I am not "marketing" anything since that implies selling something for profit. If giving information here is "marketing" then everybody on this forum is a "marketeer". Join the club. laugh

I just personally think that your original noise problem could have been solved without the cost of going with balanced equipment. But it's your money and your time, right?

#52037 - 04/05/05 06:26 PM Re: 990
Audioholic Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: MI
It's amazing what a new processor from Outlaw can do - it brings back the dead! eek I wasn't sure if my Outlaw forum account was still active but it's great that it is. It looks like I may have finally found the replacement for my 950 and a little sooner than I actually expected it. From the newsletter it looks to be very competitive and the addition of XLR outputs is welcomed (although one balanced input would have been nice). For those disputing the pros and cons of XLR circuits there's strong opinions in both camps so perhaps we could switch the discussion to wire laugh ?

It will be interesting to see the specs and manual when they're available as this looks to be a very capable unit. The automated EQ feature seems to be the current trend and might help cure some room problems depending on how sophisticated the software is. I had been sniffing around an Anthem but I'm going to give the 990 a whirl before I even consider another processor.

I was one of the first to be on the 950 reservation list and I now intend to be one of the first on the 990 list. You suckers better be ready because my mouse hand is going into training and I've got a really fast internet connection :p . I do have one question for the forum members that have been around a while: Do you think the 990 comes with a pony?

#52038 - 04/05/05 06:29 PM Re: 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Ooh, a pony? That takes me back a ways... I think the rumor is that due to the upgrades it'll be shipping with a clydesdale instead. wink

#52039 - 04/05/05 06:34 PM Re: 990
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
you said just now, above

> CD is going to be the only game in town for the best quality audio I'm afraid.

would mean, if true, that we're stuck for the time being with CDs, a technology that's over 20 years old!

Careful now...I owned a CD player 20 years ago. You bring that up and I start feeling REALLY old.

Thanks for making my day!

#52040 - 04/05/05 06:46 PM Re: 990
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Ooh, a pony? That takes me back a ways... I think the rumor is that due to the upgrades it'll be shipping with a clydesdale instead. wink
if that clydesdale is pulling some kind of wagon,i might be able to come up with $1100.

#52041 - 04/05/05 07:09 PM Re: 990
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
I really wanted that pony. By now it is probably being put out to stud!

So, back to my last question about the 990...is a quadruple crossover one that crosses the mains, center, sides, and rears independantly?

#52042 - 04/05/05 07:13 PM Re: 990
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Here is a pic of the 990 that comes with the Clydsdale...

laugh
merc\'s primary system

#52043 - 04/05/05 07:20 PM Re: 990
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Merc,

where'd the green button go!? shocked

wink

#52044 - 04/05/05 07:25 PM Re: 990
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by psklenar:
Or is it a way to make regular stereo headphones sound like more than stereo?
Headphones image in your head; the soundstage is often described as 'wearing a stereo hat'.

Dolby Headphone attempts to give externalized sound when listening with headphones. It works with 2-channel and 5.1-channel material. With multi-channel, it actually tries to give some front vs surround directionality.

Personally, I've never found the results very sucessful. There were a couple of demos where for very brief moments I thought I was listening to speakers in front of me. But it was fleeting.

Still, it's nice to have to option.

Page 22 of 41 < 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 40 41 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts