Page 25 of 41 < 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 40 41 >
Topic Options
#52065 - 04/06/05 11:13 AM Re: 990
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North of Dallas
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbski:
How about a dumb question? At what separation distance between a 990 and 755 would you expect that you should used balanced vs unbalanced interconnects? Or should you always use the balanced?
The answer to that will open up a can of worms between the balanced vs. unbalanced camps!

I use balanced over RCA connectors at any length, long or short. With unbalanced connectors, I believe the general rule is just to keep runs as short as possible. I personally wouldn't go over 6 feet. The 755 does not have XLR inputs as was stated in the previous post.

#52066 - 04/06/05 11:20 AM Re: 990
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
I don't think anyone knows for certain. I have assumed that because it was not mentioned as one of the aspects of auto calibration in the newsletter on Sunday that it most likely does not.

--------------------
gonk

I totally understand gonk, and I hope that you understand, that I am not suggesting that your assumption was or is inappropriate or wrong. My point was and is, that "the powers that be" opened the door for this kind of speculation and are remaining to leave it open. I personally don’t believe this to be a good business decision on their part, but it is their decision to make, not mine. I am just expressing and sharing my thoughts and opinions.

#52067 - 04/06/05 12:19 PM Re: 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
How about a dumb question? At what separation distance between a 990 and 755 would you expect that you should used balanced vs unbalanced interconnects? Or should you always use the balanced?
I don't think it's a dumb question at all. It's a question that can have a lot of different answers, though. smile

For the Model 755 or any other amp with only unbalanced inputs, there isn't really a question at all - unbalanced is the only option. If you own an amp with balanced and unbalanced inputs, I would suggest trying both and deciding which you prefer. If you are planning to buy an amp at the same time you buy the 990, then you have the option of buying an amp with unbalanced connections only (which will typically be less expensive) or buying one with both balanced and unbalanced connections. At that point, all I would suggest is that you try to identify a few amps that you might be interested in and demo them to see if they fit your needs. For what it's worth, I expect that most 990 owners will use unbalanced. I know I will (my amps only have unbalanced inputs), and I will do so with no qualms about it.

#52068 - 04/06/05 12:53 PM Re: 990
BigJeff Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Columbia, SC
The big question remains. Will Outlaw have a balanced amp to go with the 990 at the time of the 990 release? I would be willing to bet they have something up their sleves for those wishing balanced connections.

Jeff

#52069 - 04/06/05 12:55 PM Re: 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
We know that the 790 is in development (see Pat's pictures from last year ), and that it will offer balanced inputs as well as unbalanced. I suspect that either the next newsletter or the HE show later this month will shed some more light on the 790's status.

#52070 - 04/06/05 02:35 PM Re: 990
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
We know that the 790 is in development ...
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Outlaw multi-channel amps are made in California, in the same facility that make ATI equipment. Also, ATI has an amp that is (in my oppinion) a direct relative of the new 790 Outlaw amp. So my guess is that these amps may already be in boxes, ready to ship with the 990's when they are reach shore.

Also, if any one wants a green button, let the Outlaws supply an accessory velcro cover for the new power buttons. Everyone gets what they want... but I will not miss the green button. Gonk, as you will soon find out, babies will lock in on that green buttion and push it at the first opportunity. Mark my words... wink

Allan

#52071 - 04/06/05 03:48 PM Re: 990
klh Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I second the wish for Audessey's MultEQ (and if possible Mult EQ XT). That and HDMI would put the 990 over the top smile

#52072 - 04/06/05 05:21 PM Re: 990
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
At least when you want to post a reply you still have to "push" a green button.

When is the "blue dot" version going to be available?

#52073 - 04/06/05 05:25 PM Re: 990
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Audessey MultiEQ looks cool on paper, but what is it EQing? Since it appears to do its' job digitally(with DSPs), no one serious about good source units is gonna use it. So, that leaves its' use for movie soundtracks and DVD-Video concerts? I'd much rather Outlaw keep the price down low so we can afford to buy a nice parametric analog EQ unit(like the Rane or Symetrix) which we can then use for all our music and movie uses, stereo and multichannel, while preserving the source sound we prefer without redigitizing it.

Does that make sense, or... am I missing something about this MultiEQ system?
merc\'s primary system

#52074 - 04/06/05 05:29 PM Re: 990
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Now that I think about it though... you'd need multiple analog EQs and you'd need the setup program from Audessey in order to them program the analog EQs for multichannel use.

Jeez... I wish there was an easy way to do this without an extra A/D/A conversion...
merc\'s primary system

Page 25 of 41 < 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 40 41 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts