Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5185 - 11/01/02 09:08 AM Computer - 1050 Interface
The Great Gatsby Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Naperville, Illinois, United S...
I am building my 2nd convergence PC. My 1st which I felt was sucessful used a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz/ Hollywood Plus Cards for interfacing DVD's/ Mp3's stored on my PC. Both were used in an analog mode on an Onkyo TS-DX484. I am going to upgrade to a 1050 - Sigma Designs X-Card for DVD. Reccommendation for Audio?? I am considering Creative's Extigy or The Stereo-Link. Thanks in advance............

------------------
Jeffrey A Febre'

#5186 - 11/01/02 10:20 AM Re: Computer - 1050 Interface
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
What you have listed there seems pretty good. I don't remember the Stereo-Link, but the Extigy is supposed to be a prettyy good audio solution. I've wondered how well a digital connection would work in this setup. I was going to be building my own PC this winter sometime and will most likely use an Audigy 2 card. I wouldn't be able to hook it up to my home theater anytime soon, but was planning to use the optical digital out for this when I get the chance.

Is this the primary audio setup for your computer or is your computer close enough to your HT that it's fun/convenient to have the connection? What is a converence PC? Is that where the computer is specificly for storage pf things like movies and music, it's not really meant for gaming or everyday use?

#5187 - 11/01/02 11:02 AM Re: Computer - 1050 Interface
The Great Gatsby Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the response.....convergence is the buzz word simply as you descbribe digital audio/video manipulation with the PC as the center of the set up. I have set up my PC in my Home Theater Room for that reason.

I am aware of the Audiology II but thought getting the Sound Device out of the box would be benificial. But the USB interface to the PC is not ideal as a firewire approach also check out the www.stereo-link.com....

------------------
Jeffrey A Febre'

#5188 - 11/01/02 11:16 AM Re: Computer - 1050 Interface
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Do either of you guys have any ideas on integrating a laptop into the HT? I haven't built my HTPC yet but I have a unused decent laptop that would work well for getting mp3's to the HT via my network but not sure on getting them out of the laptop?

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#5189 - 11/01/02 12:04 PM Re: Computer - 1050 Interface
The Great Gatsby Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I think I read in either on Creative's site Or the stereo-link site in my other post about a reveiw from a laptop user......both the Extigy( Creative) & the stereo-link are usb hook to PC.

#5190 - 11/01/02 01:56 PM Re: Computer - 1050 Interface
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

I'm not sure if I can help much more because what I have looked at needs to be a gaming card to work in the computer. The connection to HT is an afterthought. That's why I was looking into the Audigy 2. It would be kind of expensive for you to go the same route. I'll keep my eyes open if anything else pops up.

I prefer to use a standalone DVD player, as they tend to be better and last longer. I do have a DVD drive on my computer, but I prefer what you can get out of standalone player more.

#5191 - 11/01/02 02:49 PM Re: Computer - 1050 Interface
dengor Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: newtown, pa us
If I read it correctly, the Creative Labs Audigy can decode Dolby Digital EX (6.1) but not Dolby Pro Logic II (for old tapes I still listen to) or DTS.

Have you found a sound card that decodes Dolby Pro Logic II? DTS?

#5192 - 11/01/02 03:06 PM Re: Computer - 1050 Interface
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

The Audigy 2 does Dolby Digital EX (6.1). The Audigy does not to my knowledge. I have an Audigy presently. It takes a stereo sound and mixes it to all five channels, but I'm not sure which format it uses to do it. I did not see DTS listed anywhere, but Audigy 2 will do DVD-Audio. Now someone needs to make a drive that can read it.

I have looked more at both the Extigy and Stereo-Link. Both of them look good. I like the Extigy a little more because of it's features and it can handle more channels. The Stereo-Link only does 2 channel, not too good if you want DVD. I still wonder if something like an SBLive 5.1 with the input/output bracket would work well. This would give a digital connection. I don't know if it decodes Dolby Digital 5.1 though. That's the bad part with the Extigy, in that it can't do it with the optical cable either.

#5193 - 11/01/02 03:39 PM Re: Computer - 1050 Interface
The Great Gatsby Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

JT that is eactly my concern with both Stereo-Link(2-Channel) & the Etigy(No firwire/ opitacal). But also with the Aud...II that it was inside case subject to all that interference/ hum/hiss(...which is what I get with my current set up Onkyo-Turtle Beach Santa Cruz!!!

FYI I E Mailed Stereo Link about 5.1/6.1 support & Opitical/ Firewire support....

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts