Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#51759 - 12/15/08 07:58 PM PS3 Blu-ray Playback
tkntz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
I use a PS3 for Blu-ray Playback. I am using a very cheap HDMI switch box that I'm using to switch between my DVD player and my PS3. The signal is then passed along an Atlona 15m HDMI cable to the TV. Occasionally when viewing Blu-ray discs, the screen will go black for a split second. Literally, it is like a blink of an eye. I'll go back and watch the same segment of the movie without a repeat in the error. This never occurs while playing video games on the PS3 or while watching DVD's on the separate DVD player. Also, it never happens when watching HD signals from my HD DVR (that is not passed through the HDMI switcher). Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

#51760 - 12/15/08 09:26 PM Re: PS3 Blu-ray Playback
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
What resolution are you running when watching Blu-rays? It may be that you are using more bandwidth on the HDMI cable with the Blu-ray, and the extreme length of your run is producing the occasional drop-out. It seems odd, however, that you don't get other errors (such as the white specks often called "sparklies") if that is the case.

Can you swap places between the HD DVR and the PS3 so that the PS3 has the straight shot to the TV?

#51761 - 12/15/08 10:29 PM Re: PS3 Blu-ray Playback
tkntz Offline
Gunslinger

I need to go back and check the length of my cable, because I think I may have misspoken. At the time I bought the cable, they were claiming it would support 1440p, but their web site only claims to support 1440p on 5m cables now.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I am watching Blu-rays at 1080p. It is a pretty good distance for an HDMI cable, but as you said, I'm not getting any "sparklies" in the picture. The picture is pure. I'm not sure that swapping with the DVR would do me much good since the DVR is running to the TV on another long HDMI cable (the DVR sits above the PS3). But switching the cables would bypass the HDMI switcher and the short HDMI cable running to the switcher. I'll have to give that a shot. I just wasn't sure if it was a PS3 issue or something specific to my set-up.

#51762 - 12/16/08 04:16 AM Re: PS3 Blu-ray Playback
gonk Offline
Desperado

Since 15 meters is the theoretical limit for HDMI (or at least the specified limit), getting rid of the short interconnect and the switcher could be helpful. Another option would be a switch that includes a booster of some sort (the HM-31 I use can reportedly support runs of up to 100 feet), although swapping the PS3 with the HD DVR (which is most likely only outputting 720p or 1080i) would be a cheaper and easier solution if it worked.

#51763 - 12/16/08 03:35 PM Re: PS3 Blu-ray Playback
tkntz Offline
Gunslinger

I'm hoping the 997 will take over my switching duties when it becomes available. But I doubt it will include a booster. I understand that a booster theoretically allows for longer runs of cable, but what does it actually do with the signal? Would a booster have any impact on the picture?

I haven't had a chance to swap the connections yet. I'll be sure to post the results when I do.

#51764 - 12/16/08 04:22 PM Re: PS3 Blu-ray Playback
gonk Offline
Desperado

A booster should not hurt the picture quality - all it is doing is amplifying the digital signal.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts