Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#51731 - 12/11/08 12:59 AM Just get me mine before Gonk gets his…
Warrant Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Manitoba
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My response laugh

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Disc Player Update

Dear Warrant ,

Thank you for signing up to receive information about our upcoming OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player. We appreciate your interest, and would like to update you on the current development status of this exciting new product.

One of the major design goals for the BDP-83 is to deliver first-class video quality for both Blu-ray and DVD. We based and expanded upon our top-of-the-line DV-983H up-converting DVD player and fully utilize the unparalleled performance of the VRS by Anchor Bay video processing solution. You can expect all the high-end video features including Source Direct for DVD and Blu-ray, high definition HDMI scaling, Edge and Detail Enhancement options, and 1080p24Hz output for both Blu-ray and DVD.

We did not stop at just video performance. We further refined the audio stage, including the addition of discrete stereo outputs and increasing the power and efficiency of the power supply. For SACD playback, the BDP-83 supports direct DSD over HDMI and DSD-to-analog without any PCM conversion, a very unique feature.

With the BDP-83, we intend to release a full-featured universal Blu-ray Disc player that supports BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio. As of this writing, the BDP-83 supports BD Profile 1.1 (BONUSVIEW), DVD-Video, SACD, and bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Progress is being made on a daily basis as our engineers work diligently around the clock to further enable DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio onboard decoding, and BD Profile 2.0.

The BDP-83 is currently undergoing an extensive and thorough Beta Test Program. We greatly appreciate all the feedback from our beta testers, as without their hard work and extraordinary attention to detail, the BDP-83 would not be the high quality product that our customers have come to expect from us.

As many of our customers eagerly anticipate the release of the BDP83, we are contemplating a "BDP-83 Early Adoption Program" in late December or early January. This program will make available a limited number of units so you can purchase and experience the current implementation of the BDP-83's feature set, with the ability to download firmware as new features become available. The estimated price for the BDP-83 is around $499 to $599.

OPPO Digital is a consumer-oriented company that listens carefully to customer opinions and values their feedback. If it were not for our customers' feedback and support, OPPO would not be where we are today. At OPPO we strive to provide our customers with quality products reinforced by exceptional customer service.

Please email to BDP-83 @oppodigital. com if you have any questions and comments, or simply reply to this email.

I split the email address in an effort to avoid bots

#51732 - 12/11/08 01:34 AM Re: Just get me mine before Gonk gets his…
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Looks like there isn't much to do these days in upgrade city but sit around and WAIT.

Sounds like a sweet BDP warrant. You seem fairly jazzed about it. With all the features Oppo is putting into it I would be too. There is one issue at hand however and huh... well. I am not sure gonk would be able to handle coming in second place very well at all. So... huh yeah. Just a thought.

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#51733 - 12/11/08 03:49 AM Re: Just get me mine before Gonk gets his…
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
As long as you leave one for me to get, too, we'll be cool. smile And, yes, I'm looking forward to seeing this player hit the streets...

#51734 - 12/11/08 05:19 PM Re: Just get me mine before Gonk gets his…
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
"With the BDP-83, we intend to release a full-featured universal Blu-ray Disc player that supports BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio." Isn't something missing from this list? What about ordinary CDs?

#51735 - 12/11/08 05:24 PM Re: Just get me mine before Gonk gets his…
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
And in addition to ordinary CDs, how about digital picture files (JPEG or TIFF) in high definition? I'll buy another disc player only if it plays EVERY DIGITAL MEDIUM NOW AVAILABLE, and I hope anyone reading this speaks up if they feel the same way.

In the interests of mercy I'll forgive it not playing LPs.

#51736 - 12/11/08 05:36 PM Re: Just get me mine before Gonk gets his…
Warrant Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Manitoba
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
As long as you leave one for me to get, too, we'll be cool. smile And, yes, I'm looking forward to seeing this player hit the streets...
"NDA?" wink

#51737 - 12/11/08 06:17 PM Re: Just get me mine before Gonk gets his…
gonk Offline
Desperado

NDA has been a bit relaxed in light of the official announcement (anything covered in the letter is public knowledge and thus fair game for discussion), but yes - "NDA." You may still get a production unit before I do, though. smile
Quote:
Isn't something missing from this list? What about ordinary CDs?
Ordinary CD's are supported, including CD text. I've even got a funny story about that, but I'll have to check to see if it's OK to tell.
Quote:
And in addition to ordinary CDs, how about digital picture files (JPEG or TIFF) in high definition? I'll buy another disc player only if it plays EVERY DIGITAL MEDIUM NOW AVAILABLE, and I hope anyone reading this speaks up if they feel the same way.
It'll do high-res JPG's just fine, and even offers some nice controls for slide shows. It'll also do MP3, WMA, and an assortment of other audio and video file formats. It doesn't do everything, but it does a whole heck of a lot and they may yet be able to expand the list (WAV and FLAC are still missing but haven't been 100% ruled out).

#51738 - 12/11/08 07:57 PM Re: Just get me mine before Gonk gets his…
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

OK Guys,

I couldn't resist. I have one. I've been Beta testing it for about a month. Every week it gets better and better with new software updates.

I have been testing it to see how it interacts with the 990 and of course it is great. Last week we watched "An Unfinished Life" and my wife swore it was a Blu-Ray. I told her it was only a regular DVD and she couldn't believe her eyes.

We have a lot of admiration for OPPO. They are committed to quality, great pricing, and superb customer service. When it is out of Beta and released, you will love BDP-83.

Peter

#51739 - 12/11/08 08:24 PM Re: Just get me mine before Gonk gets his…
gonk Offline
Desperado

I've had mine since late September, and I'll second Peter's comments. I'm not going to get into too much detail about the player until the Early Adopter program gets off the ground and things really start hopping, but I'll offer two observations for the moment.

First, I have not missed my 983H - something that I didn't think would be possible a few months ago. As Peter points out, standard DVD's will love this player.

Second, I'll save my funny story for later, but the punch line is that the analog section that 990 owners will be so interested in is very nice.

#51740 - 12/12/08 06:46 AM Re: Just get me mine before Gonk gets his…
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterT:
OK Guys,

I couldn't resist. I have one. I've been Beta testing it for about a month. Every week it gets better and better with new software updates.

I have been testing it to see how it interacts with the 990 and of course it is great. Last week we watched "An Unfinished Life" and my wife swore it was a Blu-Ray. I told her it was only a regular DVD and she couldn't believe her eyes.

We have a lot of admiration for OPPO. They are committed to quality, great pricing, and superb customer service. When it is out of Beta and released, you will love BDP-83.

Peter
It is great to hear the upconversion of SD DVDs is so good. I'm also very interested in how the OPPO will sound with my 990. As I understand it the BDP-83 will not include decoding of the new audio formats when initially released. Absent the ability to decode within the player and output via 7.1 analog connections to my 990 the Early Adoption player offers limited value to me. I'll wait until the full feature set is available. This question may be beyond the beta testers but is the price range of $499 to $599 for the initial offering or the range for the unit with a full feature set?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts