Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#51557 - 01/26/08 07:49 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Altec Offline
Desperado

I work as an electronics engineer in audio equipment design and as an engineer/editor/recording engineer in sound design and music for feature films. I've composed the music soundtracks for a couple dozen films, and did soundtrack restorations for the re-release of several major Hollywood films. Just recently I was part of the design team which designed the current Outlaw multi-channel amplifiers.

The "home theater" in my signature was really designed and built as a mini-dubbing stage where I did my film sound work, hence all the pro-audio signal processing gear and computer sound editing equipment.

#51558 - 01/26/08 10:58 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
I'm retired too, from teaching - psychology, hence the name - at a community college in the San Joaquin Valley in central CA, but now happily living in Santa Barbara. My interest in audio goes back to the 50s and I built Dynakits in the early 60s, the same period when I got the AR turntable I still use, but with a Mayware unipivot arm in place of the original. Most of my listening is classical music, not HT, which may be why I like Magneplanar speakers so much, plus the Yaqin tube buffer that's my latest audio acquisition.

#51559 - 01/26/08 11:33 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by psyprof1:
.....I built Dynakits in the early 60s, the same period.......
I still use Dynaco MK IIIs (although modified) for the amplifiers for the woofers in my left and right main speakers (active bi-amplified system). I've used just about every tubed amplifier in this role, and the Dynacos still sound the best. In some areas, the designers had it right the first time, in this case, in the 1950s.

#51560 - 01/27/08 06:02 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
In my shady past I was a classical music critic, composer/conductor (a brief yet undistinguished career smile , although Altec once told me my music didn't suck laugh ), computer magazine editor, and videogame designer.

At present, I develop/edit books on film and music technology for Apple, Inc. Stuff like these:

http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321303342
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321502922
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321502655

#51561 - 01/27/08 05:14 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by bobliinds:
In my shady past I was a classical music critic, composer/conductor (a brief yet undistinguished career smile , although Altec once told me my music didn't suck laugh ), computer magazine editor, and videogame designer.
Not to mention, being a savior of abandoned kittens. smile

#51562 - 01/28/08 12:21 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Wow Bob. I've used the Apple Pro Training Series to learn Final Cut Pro and have found the books to be excellent. Nice job. I guess we have some Apple experts on the forum. cool

#51563 - 01/28/08 05:12 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
With my limited education, I joined the Armed Forces where I recieved the best education a life could buy.
I finaly ended up a Union " Sprink " installing fire surpression systems. After a fall from a ladder 3 years back at age 51, I retired early. ( reluctantly )
My passion for music came by way of my 1st joint.( thank you Marine Corps)
Grew up in Bakersfield Claif where heros came in the name of Merle Haggard and Buck Owens. My military travels took me far away from my norm where I was introduced to what I had always considered " Hippie Music". After my 1st joint, I became weak , my budies subjected me to Cat Stevens, Jethro Tull and finaly the Moody Blues" Timothy Leary" It was at this juncture I craved a Sansui reciever and speakers with 15" woofers, not a Craig 8 track player.My craving hasn't subsided.

#51564 - 01/28/08 06:16 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
cvinfig Offline
Gunslinger

Ever been to the hospital and had blood work done? If so, there's a pretty good chance your results were processed by code written by yours truly...

I was also part of a team that developed an advanced medical error flagging application. Less than 24 hours after being turned on in the first production environment it caught an error that would've killed a patient.

I now work on internal software instead of client stuff.

--Chuck

#51565 - 02/01/08 04:09 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Zorlac Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle
I am a IT guy focusing on Storage Networking (SAN) technology (fibre channel and iscsi). In laymens terms i help design IT infrastructure for mission critical servers that are attached to disk storage subsystems the size of refrigerators. I work closely with tech companies like EMC and Hewlett Packard. I work for a large software company in redmond, WA laugh and have been here for almost 13 years.
I have twin daughters who are 19 months old and make me really appreciate the human condition. I am a big english soccer fan as well. In my younger days i did quite a bit of backpacking and have travelled to 25 different countries.
Oppo 981HD DVD
Klipsch RB61 mains
Klipsch RC62 center
SpeakerCraft rears
Harmony 890
Blue Jeans cabling/zWave lighting dimmer

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts