Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#51547 - 12/24/07 07:43 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Bugbitten Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Western KY
I'm retired! Mostly.

I spent 35 years working my way up and running the family printing business. I have lived my entire life with 50 miles of my present location except for 4 years at Loyola University New Orleans.

Now I do some bookkeeping work for the local BSA council and my church and have become the homemaker to my family.

Janet and I have three children, a 28 year-old daughter in Chicago, a 26 year-old son in ABQ, NM. and a 22 year-old special-needs son who lives with us.

I hav always enjoyed all types of musc but only in the last few years invested in quality home and car audio equipment.

Happy Holidays to all!

Doug
x-Statiks, x-voce, x-omni

#51548 - 12/24/07 11:45 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
BadLikeJesseJames Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tucson, Az.-Orange County, Ca.
Wireless network systems here. I won't mention the names of our core customers but their initials are Verizon Wireless, at&t, Sprint and some regional carriers. We still do some land line work but the company that has this 14 state region just had an ex CEO get sentenced to a 7 year prison term along with 10's of millions in fines. Point is, because of this, that company hasn't spent money in years. Want their initials? Q.W.E.S.T. But the wireless folks have been keeping us extremely busy. It's a great job and I absolutely love what I do but so far, my favorite part of the career has been just this past week. It was the first of 3 weeks vacation. Ha ha.

I travel frequently for both work and leisure, (Gonk: sorry I missed you in Memphis a couple of weeks back), I play some guitar and as far as listening to music is concerned, my preference is analog. (All the way down the path.) The Home Theater Bug bit me in January of this year but I am pleased to announce that the fever has finally broke. I've got it dialed in, I'm settled in and truly enjoying it.

By the way everybody, nice to meet you. This is a great thread. I also would like to say I've learned a lot here on these forums with everybody is so willing to share the information. Thanks so much.

Frank

Bedroom: Outlaw 990-Outlaw 7125. Aperion's all the way around. Apple TV. HTPC built from scratch.

#51549 - 12/25/07 12:48 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I hope you had fun while you were in the land of the King - and that you found some good barbecue while you were here. I meant to PM you about a good place very close to Sun Studios (don't know why it didn't occur to me immediately when you mentioned Sun).

I've got a buddy who just finished a nearly ten-year stretch working in Texas with a couple different telecom firms doing mostly wireless systems design and testing. (Need to call him this afternoon, come to think of it...)

#51550 - 12/25/07 02:41 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Gunslinger

We found the best barbecue in all the land. Went to the Blues Cafe twice. (5PM and about 1130PM) There is no substitute for Memphis Barbecue. None that I've found anyways. The meat fell off the bone and when it finally did make it to my mouth, it melted. The cole slaw, baked beans, even the toast tasted better than anything I've experienced. Loved it.

Sun Studios epitomizes what I said in my previous post about listening to music. (analog) Some of the best artists made some of the best music ever recorded in that room. (Howlin' Wolf being a personal favorite.) That journey through that studio was an education. To me it was like walking into the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. - Graceland was awesome too. (Enough said.)

As usual, I wish we had more time but we did cover a lot of ground in the 2 days we were there. So yeah Gonk, I assure you we had the best time possible.

To my fellow Outlaws: go get some of that barbecue.

Bedroom: Outlaw 990-Outlaw 7125. Aperion's all the way around. Apple TV. HTPC built from scratch.

#51551 - 12/26/07 07:01 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
openhelix Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I work as a senior consultant for a boutique consulting firm in Oakland, CA (near SF) and live in Santa Clara. We specialize in high-end Microsoft and security technologies and dabble in business consulting. Yahoo, Google, Motorola & TPG are a few clients. I was a Microsoft MVP for 2006/2007 in Unified Communications (Live/Office Communications Server). My current gig is CIO and M&A Director for a business unit of Motorola's Digital Video Solutions group. I've been there almost a year during their acquisition hit (7 in one year) but will probably be finishing up soon and moving on to something different.

I also write for Network World magazine online . I wrote a book last year on Windows Server 2003 . I've got a few copies left if anyone's in the industry and wants one.

I started out in aerospace engineering first developing satellite simulators then working in antenna design and high encryption. Some of my work is part of Dish Network, DirectTV, Sirius (aka CDRadio) and almost every satellite weather report (GOES).

In my spare time I play beach volleyball, LOTS of beach volleyball. I practice 4-5 times a week and play a few AVP (pro) events in the summer. In addition to music/HT I'm also passionate about wine and have a ~1800 bottle cellar. It's hard to beat a great glass of wine and good music through outlaw gear.

B&W 804S (on order)
B&W HTM3S (on order)
NHT IC4
Pioneer Elite 50" PDP
PS3
Oppo 981HD (on order)

#51552 - 12/26/07 02:18 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
This is truly an odd situation for me. I have watched this thread develop over the past week or so and I find that I'm the only person on the list willing to admit that I'm a lawyer, not a techie. I'm in D.C., and do mostly appellate litigation and media law. I know, it's an odd combination, and I sometimes find myself on both sides of issues related to the public and the criminal justice system.

Was in Memphis in October and found myself pulled toward the Germantown Commissary, as usual. My daughter used to live there, as did my sister for a while in the '90s.

#51553 - 12/26/07 05:39 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
openhelix Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Hehe Bob, my best friend's a lawyer. I'm the best man in his wedding. He's in big-$ personal injury however. Dreyer, Babich and something... I always thought I wanted to be a lawyer, IP law for me, however there was too much money in tech at the time I got out of school.

#51554 - 12/26/07 06:29 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Commissary is good - although I haven't been by there in many years.

#51555 - 01/26/08 07:28 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Becker:
This is truly an odd situation for me. I have watched this thread develop over the past week or so and I find that I'm the only person on the list willing to admit that I'm a lawyer, not a techie.
Bob, if you own an Outlaw Product, you're a techie. laugh

#51556 - 01/26/08 07:45 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Altec Offline
Desperado

duplicate post

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts