Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#51527 - 12/20/07 05:20 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
BloggingITguy,
I have been out of the country for a little while starting up a new line....
Let me do a little research into that direction. I have heard some rumblings. I would think a lower cost 3 chip projector would be closer to hitting the shelves.

As for TI main competitor, Sony, The SXRB is officially done in projection and cinema.

#51528 - 12/20/07 05:56 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
You mean SXRD? When you say it's officially done, you mean Sony is going to be replacing it with something else?

Do you think that Sony is putting all their eggs in the LCD basket while trying to get OLED going?

That's too bad, I like LCoS as a technology. Sony's offerings have been plagued by reliability issues though.

#51529 - 12/20/07 06:29 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by RedSIinPA:
nfaguys - wow - not bored here!
I'll second that - glad to hear from you, nfaguys.

#51530 - 12/20/07 06:50 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Thanks for your kind words guys. I really learn a lot on this forum. I referenced a pic which I posted. Can't find the post but here are links.

Living Room System (Left pic)

Living Room system (Left pic-dog is paying attention...as usual)

Had to take two pics as Liv Roomn is not deep enough to get back far enough to show the four up -front KEF 107s. These give me the 4 ch sound from the old 4-ch tapes (now transcribed to dts discs and hard drives). the surrounds are not in the pic. They are also KEF 107s.

If anyone is interested in conversion to dts send me a PM and I'll tell you about it. The only advantage is has over stereo CDs, however, is for putting more than 2 channels on a CD.

One more thought about dts: If I had bought the program to put it on DVDs I could have very long programs. [Might do it] laugh

Merry Chistmas and Best wishes for the season to all current and future outlaws, and especially to the guys at the outlaw HQ.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#51531 - 12/20/07 08:18 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
I'm the decidely non-technical guy among you engineers and IT folks. I'm an executive at a trade association based in Arlington, VA. I live about 18 miles from work, in Fairfax Station, VA; not too far from George Mason University.

My educational backround includes a BA in English/Writing and a Masters of Public Administration (MPA).

Married. No kids. One dog.

My interest in audio was sparked when I was in college: first buying my brother's gear when he upgraded; then getting a subscription to "The Absolute Sound. Then, right after college, I took a sales job at a boutique hi-fi store in Old Town Alexandria. I learned a lot and got spoiled being able to buy things at dealer cost. But after three years, I had enough and sort of soured on the whole audio racket. It wasn't until 20 years later -- when the home theater craze hit -- that my interest in the hobby was rekindled.

Speaking of hobbies, my other interests include: fly fishing, scuba diving, wine collecting, photography, cooking. Oh, and renovating my house -- a project that seems like it will never end.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#51532 - 12/21/07 12:06 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Guido Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia
One of the better posts. I work on very high energy (6-9 Mev) cargo screening X-ray systems at POE's around the country. Seaports, airports, highway crossings. Lotsa travel. Had the Hi-Fi bug since high school and started with Dynaco MKIII tube amps. Studied electronics in college because I wanted to know how it all worked. Been in the electronics field ever since. Hobbies are photography, camping, hunting, boating, Potomac/Chesepeake Rock fishing, home repair, travel, home entertainment. 3 kids, wife, dog. We have 2 in college this year so it's a tough year. Son graduates in May.

Happy and safe holidays to everybody!

#51533 - 12/22/07 03:41 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Pretty cool to see the amount of knowledge on this board. I truly respect people who can understand all the technical jargon. I've always been more of a listener and dependent on what I hear rather than knowing exactly what's going on the technical side.

I work as an A/V Manager for 1300 seat religious venue in NYC. I have a degree in music and sound recording though I've learned more from real life situations. I've worked everywhere from recording studios to working as a studio technician for ESPN.

The audio bug bit me early in life as I come from a family that is musically talented. The high fidelity part comes from a family friend who showed me what a well designed system, that just happened to be Mark Levinson's Demo System, can sound like. I've always been more on the bang for the buck side which explains why I still love my 1050.

As for family, in the past two years I've gotten married, moved to a new house, and was blessed with fraternal twins. So, the audio system hasn't been updated in a bit. wink

#51534 - 12/22/07 04:05 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Twins! We ended up just having a singleton with Kate, but with three sets of twins in our immediate family (my dad and his identical twin brother, my wife and her fraternal twin sister, and twin older siblings of my father-in-law) we're well acquainted with the world of twins. I see lots of fun and exciting times in your future. smile

#51535 - 12/22/07 11:57 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
og33 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: White Cloud, Michigan
Wow...with all the technical backgrounds I feel kind of intimidated to post mine, but here goes. I work in the public sector for my state DOT. Though I work with lots of engineers, I’m not one myself. I am primarily a contract manager, but I do have the opportunity to do some technical work...I have to review construction documents and specifications and prepare bid documents for transit facilities/vehicles and ferryboats/terminal facilities. That’s the interesting part...most of my time is spent making sure agencies the state contracts with are meeting state and federal requirements.

My addiction to audio began early by listening to my dad’s hi-fi down in the basement (which wasn’t much more than a console stereo with turntable). My first encounter with hifi sound came at my buddy’s house, whose dad had a setup of a Marantz integrated amp and Garrard turntable with some JBL full range speakers. I was hooked from that time forward. During college I worked with a buddy of mine installing PA systems. That continued to fuel my hifi addiction, and down the slippery slope I've slid.

I'm married, 4 kids (2 still in high school), a dog, a cat, and about 30 horses (my father in law's).

Thanks to all for your insights and opinions.

Happy holidays to all.
Panasonic BDP-45
Outlaw LFM-2

2 Channel:
Red Dragon M-500 monoblocks
BAT-VK3i
Salk HT-1TL's
Apple TV
Beresford 7520 DAC
Surgex XS10

#51536 - 12/22/07 01:33 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I see lots of fun and exciting times in your future. smile
Thanks! Our girl is now walking and the boy is working on it so the game has changed. My system is only two channels at the moment due to needed child proofing methods!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts