Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#51517 - 12/19/07 10:08 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
That's cool...any idea when TI will be pushing out 3 chip solutions for RPTVs?

#51518 - 12/19/07 10:30 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Wow, in the face of this expertise it's no wonder I sometimes get "lost in the sauce" when discussions get somewhat technical. I am a Denver-based marketing consultant, doing tv, radio, print, web, etc. media advertising. Also have written occasionally for "No Depression", an alt-country (whatever that is) music magazine based out of Raleigh-Durham, NC, and also play around as the lead singer in a bar-band called Courtesy Flush - comprised of friends from all over the USA who get together every now and then (whenever travel permits) to rock like the aging self-styled rock stars we are.
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

#51519 - 12/20/07 01:21 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

To all,

I am really impressed with all of your backgrounds. I have always suspected that we had one of the brightest groups of customers in our saloon. Now I know it!

Best regards,

Peter Tribeman

#51520 - 12/20/07 01:33 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Hmm, I wonder what Peter Tribeman does for a living?

Hehe laugh

#51521 - 12/20/07 04:14 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
as the token canuck/frenchman...
I run a catering company right here in Montréal...
feeding mostly tv and movie crews & cast...
food & music are way up there on the list of important things...
cool
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#51522 - 12/20/07 04:34 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
This is a fun thread - thanks for starting it, RedSIinPA. Oh, and thanks for letting us all gather here in your virtual watering hole, Peter. smile
Quote:
Yeah, I'm no expert on EMS...I was just the IT guy there, but from what I saw there, you could have anything from a simple EMS for a single house, to an EMS for a multistory building, on up to one for an entire complex and above that, as you said, one for multiple geographic regions.

It really is cool stuff though. Being able to see what's going on for HVAC, lighting, security, etc. for whatever discreet unit you have displays built for (floor, building, campus, etc.) with the ability to troubleshoot and make changes remotely.
Energy management systems and temperature controls have come a very long way in the last 15 years or so. The days of pneumatic controls are well and truly over, and we have clients these days with unified campus-wide controls networks that are web-based and cover HVAC systems, lighting controls, emergency generators, and even some plumbing. Even though we design the building systems and specify how they are all linked together, we don't often get to see a lot of that - just the submittals on it so we can make sure they've got the right idea on the sequence of operation, unless we also do commissioning on the project and end up getting a look at the final interface while putting the system through its paces - but it is some cool stuff. And I've been fortunate to work on some pretty interesting projects, including well-implemented control systems and some other impressive stuff.

#51523 - 12/20/07 08:13 AM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
jonas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Moncton
I am also a french canadian.
I work as a audio recording/live sound tech for a radio/tv broadcast company.
been into audio since I started singing as a teen. did the university thing as a vocalist and went to college for electronics.
2 x Bryston 3B
Denon 4308ci
Oppo 970HD
Belken PureAV PF60

#51524 - 12/20/07 02:21 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Great thread.

I’m a retired physician. Practiced in Illinois for many years. Moved to Northern Maine 12 yrs ago, worked a while and then retired. Now, in retirement I’m as busy as can be with new business. I’m a FFL (Federal Firearms Licensee), specializing in Title II firearms (machineguns, silencers, short barrel rifles & shotguns etc). I don’t have a storefront and don’t want one. I’ve sold/transferred to/from many states for non-prohibited persons, mostly collectors and investors.

My music/audio passion trumps this, however. Some background is appropriate. In my sig you will note “4-channel”. Having a passion for capturing live music (of the kind I like) since teen years I was fortunate to become friends with some extremely knowledgeable people in the Chicago area in the mid 1970s. We (sometimes me included-sometimes I couldn’t go) recorded many many many big bands and name acts over the years and have prized recordings. I should add that we never pirated them. We simply came away with studio-quality live material recorded at the performance venue. So we listened to our recordings as recorded, rather than gated, limited, or modified. We used Crown CX844 machines (analog 4-channel tape recorders), AKG or sometimes Neumann mics. Ourlistening rooms had 4 preamp channels, 4 amp channels and 4 sets of speakers, back into the 1970s. I still have my Crown ES 224 (electrostats) in my office, which I shall never sell. Two recordings I made in 1983 were sent by me to the artists. One was issued commercially and I think sold to another company which issued it on some other label. I have seen them occasionally on ebay. I recently found the other tape and sent a CD to the other artist. He is working on releases so he can sell the CDs. Both are famous jazz musicians. When asked what I wanted for the material I told them to put my name on them as recording engineer.

Beause tape deteriorates we embarked on a project to preserve this precious material. We would have liked to use 4 of the 6 Dolby Tracks on a 5.1 disc. And eventually I found a dts conversion program. One of us independent of myself also was able to transfer the material from analog tape to dts CDs. We initially played them back on a DVD player which had dts decoding capabilities. Some of us have an outboard dts decoder. This allows us to play the dts CDs on a regular CD player, sending its digital bitstream to the decoder and then to the 990. Very convenient. My Sony 455s (one classical, one jazz), my stand-alone Tascam CD 01U player, and my Alesis Masterlink ML9600 all feed a MSB Digital Director, which feeds the decoder. So my dts discs play thru the fronts and surrounds (because that’s the assignment I give). But because my living room is hybrid I send the analog outs of the decoder to the 7.1 of 990. Using the SBR and SBL of the 7700 I feed two more up front speakers, replicating the 4 channel array of “yesteryear”. Also I archived the 4-ch material to Alesis HD24XR, using 4 of the multi channels. This also feeds the 7.1 analogs of the 990. A patchbay is normalled for the decoder output and I patch the Alesis outputs. This way I can make extremely long (exceeding the 80-minute limit) programs.

Only within the past few years have I gotten into 5.1/HT. The Outlaw 990 is a key feature in this and gives me great flexibility. I posted pics in a thread, but can’t find it now.

So what now? Clear the snow. Put another log on the fire. Listen to some good music. Eagerly anticipate the next Outlaw pre/pro. Not much to record in far Northern Maine. I came close to getting to record THE AIRMEN OF NOTE last year. My associates recorded them in 1968. No problem. Some idiot got in the way here, but the bandleader said would not have been a problem. I’ve not been able to identify anyone up here who is really into good music and good sound. So.....let’s put pn another CD and relax...............
BTW: If I’m wrong and someone on this thread is in Maine, or wants to discuss this send me a PM. I hope I haven't bored anyone with this post
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#51525 - 12/20/07 02:26 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
mahansm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Panama City, Florida
I'm an electrical engineer (MSEE). I work for the US Navy on various R&D projects here in Panama City. I got interested in audio in college and my first system included 4 of the legendary AR-3a Acoustic Research speakers. I worked a few years in Baltimore at an audio store, experiencing Klipsh, B&W, Magneplanar, Dayton-Wright, Kef, McIntosh, and many other brands of the day.

Other than HiFi, I scuba dive (I have current US Navy qualifications) and referee soccer (234 matches this year alone). I've been known to put in a few miles on a bicycle, doing a transcontinental ride back in '84 and riding the last 18 RAGBRAIs.

Married, two daughters (both in college, one in grad school).
Kef 3005 surrounds
Samsung HL-67a750
Sony BDP-S301 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A2
Denon CD
Harmony 880
Comcast HD DVR with external drive
Nintendo Wii

#51526 - 12/20/07 02:29 PM Re: so, "what exactly, do ya do..."
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
nfaguys - wow - not bored here!
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM