Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#51494 - 11/01/07 08:51 PM How About Adding a Movie Board?
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
I know there's a board for "favorite demos." At times that morphs into a discussion about movies in general. So, just a suggestion, but how about adding a board dedicated to movie reviews / recommendations?

Among audio buffs, there's a saying that goes "it's all about the music." I think it's important not to lose sight of the fact that, in the home theater realm, "it's all about the movies" wink
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#51495 - 12/26/07 08:36 PM Re: How About Adding a Movie Board?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Until there is a 'Movie' board, we have this thread!

As a start, may I, with a grin, at least half-recommend the silly short ahead of the 'National Treasure - Book of Secrets' release in which the Disney character Goofy moves from 'TV' to 'Home Theater'. I know some people see 'us' that way!

I suppose that the main feature was entertaining in something of a silly way as well, and therefore not worth the price of admission and your time unless you're in that kind of mood. Unless your a fan of the characters and story-style of the first National Treasure, best to wait for the DVD and a silly mood to strike.

#51496 - 01/21/08 06:17 PM Re: How About Adding a Movie Board?
Brandon B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louse Angeles, CA
Yeah the Goofy short was great. All eyes turned to me when I saw it with a bunch of friends and family..

First new Goofy short in 40 something years. Supposedly more to come thanks to Lasseter coming on board.

BB

#51497 - 01/22/08 04:47 PM Re: How About Adding a Movie Board?
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Vive la Movie Board Thread!

Hadn't checked in on this one for awhile, so here's a few short takes on some recent movies:

Hollywoodland: This movie struck me as rather disjointed. It's two plots intertwined that mix the rise and fall of George Reeves (Ben Affleck)and the P.I. hired to investigate his death (Adrien Brody). The movie jumps back and forth between the two characters with shifting references to time. Sometimes this can work. But in this case, the viewer has a hard time connecting to either character.

Speaking of characters, both were oddly cast. Brody seems like a college kid who's trying to play a tough guy, P.I. role and never quite succeeds. The relationship with his son gets a bit tedious and really doesn't help the plot along in any meaningful way.

In comparison, Affleck rises admirably to the role, but utlimately, he too, falls a bit short. Try as you might, you just can't see him as Reeves.

And so you're left with a movie that never quite pulls you in and just sort of stumbles along to a very anticlimactic and ambiguous conclusion.

Ratatouille: This has to be one of the best looking movies I have ever seen on my home theater. The audio track was also first-rate. Can't say much more than has already been said about this flick. As someone who loves to cook, I found the story pretty engaging and the culinary references / humor were entertaining. I've never been a big fan of bonus features, but the segment with Thomas Keller of the French Laundry was worth the extra time after the film.

The Simpsons Movie: Hilarious. Definitely will see this one again just to catch all the one-liners.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#51498 - 01/22/08 06:58 PM Re: How About Adding a Movie Board?
BadLikeJesseJames Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tucson, Az.-Orange County, Ca.
I just saw "March Of The Penguins" on Discovery HD a couple of nights ago. What a fantastic movie. I highly recommend it.

Bedroom: Outlaw 990-Outlaw 7125. Aperion's all the way around. Apple TV. HTPC built from scratch.

#51499 - 01/22/08 09:30 PM Re: How About Adding a Movie Board?
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
Just for what it is worth one of my favorite movies is The Hunt For Red October.
Good story and really good surround effects especially with the scenes inside Red October.
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Lore monitors L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#51500 - 05/28/08 01:59 AM Re: How About Adding a Movie Board?
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
Tsotsi - what a movie!

Just saw it on the HDNet Movies channel. Wow! Truly worthy of all the awards it received.

If Roberto Benigni can win a best actor Oscar based on a foreign language film, that young actor named Presley Chweneyagae in Tsotsi got robbed for not even being nominated.

#51501 - 05/28/08 10:47 AM Re: How About Adding a Movie Board?
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
If I remember correctly, Tsotsi won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film or something else that year, so Presley Chweneyagae's work didn't go completely unnoticed.

#51502 - 05/29/08 12:05 AM Re: How About Adding a Movie Board?
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
HDNet movies outdid themselves last night. They followed Tsotsi with City of God - all at 1080i and 5.1 DD.

I was falling asleep at work today, but it was worth it.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts