Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5138 - 09/17/02 07:06 PM Current HDTV and DVI fears
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, U.S.
I think that this subject has been broached a few times in the past but with the current push for this DVI encrypted HDTV connector standard on newer HDTV models I am beginning to worry that we "early" adopters may very well be left out in the cold. To galvanize my concerns I have recently seen a picture of a final prototype of Dish Networks new PVR 921 HD reciever and it from what I see and read of it's specs, there are NO component outputs and in place of them is a DVI connection. I have also heard that both Dish Network and DirecTV have the capability when asked to by Hollywood studios, to switch to an encripted DVI signal for HD programs that those studios are worried about being pirated or copied, so that those of us with "standard" HDTV's without DVI interfaces get sent 480p or 480i signals even though we have HDTV capability! If anyone has any more new information on this issue I would most appreciate hearing about it.

Here is a link to the site with the PVR 921 pictures:

http://www.dishretailer.com/ts2002/Index.html

-Jeremy

#5139 - 09/18/02 12:11 PM Re: Current HDTV and DVI fears
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: McHenry, IL, USA
A similar topic has started in Outlaw to Outlaw: future use (sorry, I don't know how to make links yet). This is very interesting to see what happens to HDTV. I can see adding in digital connections, but not having the older analog ones is just screaming for trouble. I would hope that they are making adapters as well.

#5140 - 09/18/02 12:19 PM Re: Current HDTV and DVI fears
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If Jeremy's heard what I've heard, he has good reason to be concerned. Earlier this year, when I first heard about the industry's plan to move to DVI for all HD video, part of the plan included phasing analog HD video out very aggressively -- future HDTV decoders would be allowed to include analog outputs, but those outputs could not provide higher than 480p resolution. So owners of the current crop of HDTV's (which almost universally lack DVI inputs) would end up not able to get higher than 480p resolution on sets capable of providing 720p or 1080i. It's a nasty, nasty deal, and one of the reasons that I'm glad I'm not in a position to be ready to buy an HD set right now.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#5141 - 09/18/02 12:48 PM Re: Current HDTV and DVI fears
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
Is the DVI the only change coming down the road? I am looking at the new Samsung DLP HDTV and after reading this went back and checked and it does in fact have a DVI connection. So I guess my question is... am I safe buying now? or will there be more changes down the road to render this investment obsolete?

#5142 - 09/18/02 01:17 PM Re: Current HDTV and DVI fears
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
It's a nasty, nasty deal, and one of the reasons that I'm glad I'm not in a position to be ready to buy an HD set right now.
I’m not in a position to watch the current play out of this format war.
When I gave it up, (and purchased the Sony HDTV) I let go worrying for now.

Isn’t there a question that the current DVI (and near future releases) will not be the final connection approved by the studios etc? And the possible final version of DVI quite possibly will not be backward compatible to those on the market coming out?
Or have they finally settled that possible twist to the issue?

I would wish that if this were implemented (worse scenario). Broadening and enlarging the number of consumers impacted who have purchased, that there were be such a stink raised (secret hope that some high impact lawyers who live on AV forums, will class action a ‘force’ at barest minimum creating a ‘work around’, grandfathered solution….

Just some general musings I’m in the soup regardless.

#5143 - 09/18/02 02:13 PM Re: Current HDTV and DVI fears
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Isn’t there a question that the current DVI (and near future releases) will not be the final connection approved by the studios etc? And the possible final version of DVI quite possibly will not be backward compatible to those on the market coming out?
Or have they finally settled that possible twist to the issue?

I haven't heard anything about the DVI standard being officially adopted or finalized or anything, so it's probably safe to say that anything's possible. A DVI input alone may not be enough, if they come along in six months and pick a new video encryption scheme that the set will need as well.

Lena makes a good point -- the current crop of analog-only HDTV's are most likely not completely future-proof, because there is a push to go encrypted digital for the video feed in the future. But the way that standards like that go typically, waiting for it to be resolved may involve its own set of problems -- namely, winding up without a perfectly good TV for years.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#5144 - 09/18/02 02:32 PM Re: Current HDTV and DVI fears
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
IMHO the horses are already out of the corral. With several million HD capable sets now in use, it would precipitate a riot if they were all suddenly denied 1080i or 720p broadcasts and rendered useless because they do not have a DVI or some other designated connection. But, having said that, if you own one of these sets, it might be worth the effort to let your Representative in Congress know your feelings on this subject as I think this whole mess may only be resolved at this level- uh, maybe!

#5145 - 09/18/02 03:25 PM Re: Current HDTV and DVI fears
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: McHenry, IL, USA
I've only heard rumors on various websites, so I don't want to be too strong in my statements. It is hard to believe (but not impossible) that HDTV broadcasters would stick it to so many people. I think someone will come out with a third party converter to go from DVI to component (I think they might exist already), but I wouldn't put money on that.

If I've heard correctly, isn't this whole thing coming about because HDTV is supposedly higher quality than DVDs even? I've never seen HDTV so I wouldn't know.

#5146 - 09/18/02 07:10 PM Re: Current HDTV and DVI fears
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
TurnerF- I would like to have that new Samsung DLP RPTV myself- but since it isn't in the cards right now for me- go for it! I think right now it's as "future proof" as any now on the market regards connections. Gonk and Lena are right,you could wait for all these issues to be ironed out, but you probably will be waiting for several years to come. So if you 're ready buy now and have a great time with your new set. I don't even think you'd be considered an "early adapter" anymore! Reminds me of one of my neighbors when years ago I demo'd my first Dolby Pro Logic system for him. He was impressed. A month or so later I asked him if he was ready to set up his own system to which he replied that he was going to wait to see what changes were coming to make sure he got the latest and greatest. He's still waiting! Me, I think I'll wait to see what my neighbor buys...

#5147 - 09/19/02 11:23 AM Re: Current HDTV and DVI fears
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, U.S.
I was looking around on the net and ran across this company who makes a DVI-to-VGA converter, but I'm sure that the encryption algorythim would still keep us from being able to recieve a true 1080i HD signal, until hackers cracked the sucker that is! I am extremely pissed at the gaul that Hollywood in general has shown in escentially black-mailing electronics manufactures and broadcasters into alienating it's core supporters just because they are afraid of loosing any money basicly on movies and shows that consumers have already watched to death, not to mention garnering truckloads of cash for their pockets, and the few of us (at least at this time) who are willing to go the extra mile and support a new product line to bring HDTV into the mainstream are then disregarded as what, foolish early adopters!?! Without people like us to fund what was a fledgling new standard, where the HELL do these people think they would be? I have heard some buzz about "class action lawsuits" but haven't heard much else, and need to find out if anything is currently happening to bridge the gap between the DVI standard and our current soon-to-be phased out analog component HD standard. We really cannot afford to let Hollywood pull this crap with us!

Here is the link for the DVI-to-VGA converter. I'll post again when I learn more about it's capabilities.

http://store.kayye.com/kayye/dvitovgacon.html

Also, take a look at the new Blu-Ray HD-DVD players coming to market in the near future to also institute the DVI encrypted output for HD signal transmission! Here's that link, but be warned, it's in japanese.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20020911/sony1.htm

If you would like to read a little more about it, check the "My Two Cents" archive on thedigitalbits.com

Ya'll take care now!

-Jeremy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts