Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#5122 - 07/15/02 07:35 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Hi Jeremy if your grazing,
I am holding on the DVD player purchase, 2 stops did not have your recommendation in stock, and another I’m interested in. For a less expensive choice also am waiting to see what the Panny 82 (out any sec) really does. Ran into this little gadget
http://www.crtcinema.com/pd1000.html
which looks like boutique dressing hype with nada performance/tech stats given on the unit itself but made me think I should perhaps research stand alone scalers for the ultimate in aspect ratio control, don’t know squat about those.
PS. Like you have the time, I just ran into this and thought if you had been happy with your 50” Sony, it looks like Sony is staying invested in LCD with 3 new models coming up. I wonder if they will stretch to installing the newest Sony projector 12? Model # in these releases, it should have better black level and brightness, I understand if they did. (Scroll down past chapt. headings little more than ½ pg. to Sony released LCD…)
http://www.tlc-i.com/texis/tmp/news/may2002
Too bad we don’t have the 900 dollars to send off for the full report detailing specifics on which technology the Asian manufacture’s are putting the big bucks behind.

I finally saw the new DLP in the store last weekend. How do I word this, in my non-techy way?
The lettering with texts (something I judge severely on displays) had wonderful clarity and crispness. Very impressive, no jaggies etc?
I did find the pic. mildly irritating with a frenetic mirror like loud sharpness in color and detail. It was beautiful but I thought it might get tiring. I suppose settings could be greatly toned down in that area, but wonder how much of that effect is created by the choice of display screen material used.

Each of us have very subjective tastes but when ordering custom professional 35 prints, I always choose ‘matte’, with 100 speed enlargements (don’t like the ‘screen door’ effect in photography either). glossy’s are rarely appropriate to me except in a few specific-to-subject instances.
I guess I’m saying I was worried when I saw DLP I would go ‘ouch’ on the recent Sony purchase. While I would like to have the greater text definition and the Samsung was fantastic in certain areas, I prefer the closer to film look of a progressive DVD displayed without the harsher mirrorlike effect. The largest Samsung still seemed much smaller than the Sony (even though it is only a 4” diff?) and I’m already used to the Sony’s size and dimensions. The larger DLP seemed to effect more of a 4:3 boxy styled shape on the cabinet than I personally like also.

#5123 - 07/17/02 02:30 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, U.S.
Now that's some slick investigatin' you got goin' on there little lady! I took a look around the net for that 50-inch Sony LCD and found that it goes for about $3,599, in Japan. I checked out the specs, and as best I could figure these newer units are incorperating a proprietary Sony digital connection (D.D.C. or direct digiatal connection) for High Definition. It also seems as if they are capable of displaying upwards of 1080i natively, which means that our Japanese comrades have upgraded the LCD panels to accomedate this, or so I interpreted. Also, according to the currency calculator, the new 60 inch model is going for about $3,999. I will keep looking into this for you until I can come up with more solid spec figures for ya'. In case those prices are a bit alarming to you, I just want to reassure you about buying the Gran Wega, Lena. That television of yours is one great piece of hardware, as I am sure you are aware, and you can rest assured that you have spent your money wisely and am sure you will enjoy it for years to come. Technology is always moving ahead and everything drops in price. Besides, these models haven't even reached our shores yet, and probably won't until next year or so.

If you would like a look at these units, here is a link to the Japanese site:
http://www.akd.co.jp/akiden/PV/KDF-60HD800/KDF-60HD800_big.jpg

Take care, Lena!

-Jeremy

#5124 - 07/17/02 04:40 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Funny Pic. - Reminds me of the 3 bears,
This ones too soft
This ones too hard
THIS ones just right

No, not worried about the big expenditure, I knew going in I was taking a hit and odds were, within 6 months, the price could possibly drop 1K every month or so till it bottoms at prob. 2500. And something bigger/better is coming out every quarter. It only irked me I couldn't find the Samsung DLP's in stock the week I bought the Sony, to make sure about a possible contender available 'right' then.

I usually am a second/third generation buyer, (at least in Computer hardware) to take advantage of the price drops. But once in a moon.....just paying for the enjoyment of having it now, (and a BD deadline!).

And I am happier with the Sony every day; it really handles a variety of feeds and situations with great aplomb. The largest non-owner complaint (the black) seems very very minor in real world watching and tweaking with VE away from the factory setting improves this level greatly. Best specs on black level does not equate to best pic on the market, too many multiple factors combined I feel make up the level achieved of your final viewing experience on any unit.
The blocky pixelization you had noticed on the 60" Vs the 50, I'm only seeing faintly on very rare occasions (a DVD poorly mastered, or occasional footage on Satellite) for the rest, no matter how hard I stare you can't spot pixel structure, the pic is normally seamless and crisp. If the next generation improves on this one, it will be one incredible view.

I’m all over the map on the prog player, I see the one you like has its successor coming that might be worth waiting for but with a Fall? release don’t think I can wait that long, The short lived Sony I put into play is making me hanker for a progressive player now. Waiting on the real world capabilities of the Panny 82, and almost bought the Philips recorder last weekend, but was getting a ‘buggy’ impression from the web, and it seemed to compromise area’s for the record capability, -still trying to find a demo of your Pioneer and/or the Panny 91.

Edit: also looks if they bring the specs to America the new LCD will have the memory stick slot for digital camcorders.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited July 17, 2002).]

#5125 - 09/20/02 11:53 AM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
eschat Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: okemos, mi, usa
lena,
in the search for players...
i realize it's been out for a good year or two,
but have you looked at the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700? It's a changer, doesn't have SACD, but it DOES have Faroudja circuitry. Considering you've got an LCD display, I imagine this circuitry would not go unappreciated. Kenwood currently has two models with Faroudja.
Yamaha also makes a few players with the circuitry...the DVD-CX1, DV-C6480, and C920.
Listening to my friend's Sony SACD/DVD machine, it sounds great, but SACD selection is still woefully thin.
hope you find what you're looking for.
eric

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts