Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51216 - 04/05/06 09:33 AM I'm back!
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
I have been battling a severe lightheadedness issue where I felt like I was going to pass out several times a day for the last several months. I am finally starting to feel like myself again and the illness is diminishing.

I learned something throughout this experience. I had to have a hearing test and found that a flat frequency response would not suit me (or anyone else for that matter). When I looked at the results of the test it was up and down all over the place as much as +/- 20 db. This doesn't mean I don't believe in the room correction I have performed and I think it did wonders with ringing and slap echos as well as providing much stronger bass and cleaner sound all around. I am just suggesting that before anyone tries to get totally flat response, perhaps they should have a comprehensive hearing test.

I finally have the energy to start playing around with my HT setup again. I have the Emotiva LPA-1 amp currently and am quite impressed with it in 5-channel operation. With all 7-channels, however, I am getting a buzzing that is audible from my seating position. I am going to try and rewire my speakers with 12-guage wire and reroute them away from the flourescent lights in my room. I will note, I have no buzzing with the pair of Outlaw 755 amps I am currently using. The Emotiva LMC-1 should be on its way soon. At that time, I will perform another shootout with the 990 vs. LMC-1. I will use both amps (Outlaw and Emotiva) during this shootout as well.

#51217 - 04/05/06 09:56 AM Re: I'm back!
cedman1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago
Glad to hear things are getting better for you!

I've often wondered if getting a hearing test would offer any benefit to my home listening. Also I am very interested in hearing your impressions with the Emotiva vs Outlaw shootout.

Cedric
Outlaw 990
Accurus A250
Accurus A200x3
Pioneer 578A-S DVD
Klipsch KG4.2
Klipsch KG3
Klipsch KV2
Outlaw LFM-1
Panasonic PT-L500U

#51218 - 04/05/06 10:15 AM Re: I'm back!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Welcome back, Doug - sorry to hear about the health issue, but glad that you're feeling better.

I'll be curious to hear how your LMC-1 / 990 shootout goes. The LCM-1 has a lot of hype behind it (much like the highly-anticipated 950 did four years ago), and the indications are that they've put the emphasis on sound quality over features, but I'm going to be curious to see how the final feature set and menu interface turn out.

#51219 - 04/05/06 12:19 PM Re: I'm back!
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Good news Doug! Glad you are back. Every time I see your location I think of Pizza Shoppe, so don't ever leave again. smile

Look forward to hearing your impressions.

#51220 - 04/05/06 02:00 PM Re: I'm back!
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk,

I am assuming the LMC-1 will end up in the upstairs living room, but you never know I guess. I know the 990 is much more feature laden, but I would have kept the Yamaha 2500 if all I wanted was features. It's all about the sound to me these days.

Jed,

I used to enjoy Pizza Shoppe, but my wife and I had to go to Chicago on business a while back and I made the mistake of eating Giordano's deep dish pizza. Now, pizza in KS is okay, but man I miss that deep dish. I may go as far as ordering one on-lineas I won't be going to Chicago any time soon:

http://www.giordanos.com/shop/home.php?cat=1

Yes, it is worth $30 for this pizza.

#51221 - 04/05/06 02:53 PM Re: I'm back!
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Thanks for the link, I may give that a try. Personally I prefer NY/East Coast style pizza. Thin and floppy, but I like them all. Pizza Shoppe is not really either, but I do miss it since I grew up with it. That, along with Gates, Sneads, Bryants, Luthers, Smokestack, etc... Vegas BBQ sucks big time compared to KC, although the produce out here is better, but I would take the BBQ anyday.

#51222 - 04/05/06 05:36 PM Re: I'm back!
PapaBear Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Kansas
Doug, I see your in Shawnee Kansas. I live in Wichita Kansas. Just got setup with 990/7700 and B&W 703 B&W htm7 center, and love it. I am still messing with the cross overs and my Sony SA-WX700 Dual 10" push/pull sub. Sharp XV_Z90U projector. Still breaking in all the toys.
And of course just sipping IPA's cheers:)

#51223 - 04/05/06 09:28 PM Re: I'm back!
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

PapaBear,

Sounds like you're having fun. I always love getting and tweaking new gear. If you ever come into K.C. let me know.

#51224 - 04/17/06 01:38 PM Re: I'm back!
chas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minnesota
Hi Doug,

How's the LPA-1 sound compared to the Outlaw amps? Do you happen to know what the capacitance is on that thing....and does it really weigh 63 pounds?!

#51225 - 04/17/06 02:44 PM Re: I'm back!
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

It is really that heavy! Don't know what the capacitance is on it, but they did post the manual for it on av123's web site a few days back. I like the sound of the amp. Perhaps even a little better than the Outlaws (I need to do more listening). It does seem a little warmer and the bass seems a little more pronounced.

I am having issues though when using all 7 channels. With the first 5 channels, it performs great. When I have any combination of 2 or more channels containing one channel from the first 5 and either channel 6 (bridged) or 6/7 (unbridged) I get electrical humming that is audible from my listening position. This does not happen with the Outlaw 755 amps I use. I am going to try to rewire my speakers as a last resort and see if this gets rid of the buzzing. I have wanted to rewire them anyhow as they were originally connected with only 16ga wire and I want to go to 12ga. If not, I will not be able to use the LPA-1 as a 7-channel amp, but only as a 5-channel amp.

The amp looks absolutely stellar as well. I will update when I get the LMC-1 and do some serious listening with it and the 990 each connected to Outlaw amps and the LPA-1 at one time. I need to finish my rewiring and have more acoustic panels coming to finish the room off.

I would say though, even if I can only use 5 channels of the amp, it is well worth the asking price. I was considering selling one of the Outlaw 755 amps I have if It worked out well. I will have to wait for the rewire to tell if if will or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM