Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#51055 - 08/11/05 09:59 AM Re: Upgrade for Denon 2200
ronrags Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
Gonk,

Looks like I may go with the Oppo player and the gefen switch box. My tv and cable box are connected with a dvi-to-hdmi cable, so I assume this cable can be used between the tv and switcher. Then I would use dvi-to-dvi cables from the switcher to the cable box and the Oppo player. Thanks for the info.

Just curious if you performed a DVI vs component cable with the oppo to determine picture quality?

#51056 - 08/11/05 10:22 AM Re: Upgrade for Denon 2200
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I never connected the Oppo's component cables, since the component output isn't even deinterlaced (it runs at 480i). The only comparisons I made were between the Oppo's DVI output and the 480p component outputs of my Yamaha S1500 and my Panasonic DMR-E80 DVD recorder. In that comparison, the Oppo proved to have the best picture quality (if it hadn't, I was planning to send it back and stay with the S1500), with the Yamaha in second and the Panasonic bringing up the rear in third.

#51057 - 08/31/05 07:19 AM Re: Upgrade for Denon 2200
ronrags Offline
Gunslinger

I received the oppo dvd player last week and here is my impression after a week of comparison vs the Denon 2200. I connected the oppo player directly to the sony 55wf655 with a dvi/hdmi cable. The Denon is also connected directly to the tv with component cables. I borrowed the dvd Black Hawk Down so I can do an A/B comparison by switching inputs from the tv remote. I first compared both at 480p and found the Denon better overall. Then I switch the oppo to 720p and then to 1080i and still found the Denon better.

So I decided to bring in a unbiased expert, my wife. She didn't notice any difference between players so I freezed framed different scenes in order for her to compare the 2 players. At that point she noticed the detail on the Denon vs the oppo in both the 720p and 1080i modes. In one scene where the picture is dark with the exception of a soldiers eyes, the clearity and detail was more apparent on the Denon. Last night I invited my brother to compare the players and he too thought the Denon was clearer and also brighter.

I'll try to borrow another dvd that I have in order to make another comparison this weekend. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I plan to return the oppo player next week. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know before Monday. Thanks, Ron

#51058 - 09/13/05 12:39 PM Re: Upgrade for Denon 2200
ronrags Offline
Gunslinger

Final update, I decided to send back the OPPO player. As I stated previously, there was no added difference with this player over the Denon. Yesterday I visited 6th Ave electronics in NJ and I discussed up-conversation with the salesman I usually deal with. He stated they did a simular comparision in the store and also found no major difference with DVI vs component input from a dvd player especially with Denon.

So I decided to wait for HD-dvd when it comes out.

#51059 - 09/13/05 06:11 PM Re: Upgrade for Denon 2200
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Sounds like your salesman took the old path of least resistance ronrags. I have seen it happen a thousand times . Hope your in tight with this guy . Just a heads up .

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#51060 - 09/14/05 06:58 AM Re: Upgrade for Denon 2200
ronrags Offline
Gunslinger

This salesman is ok. He originally sold me the 2200 2 years ago and could have sold me the 2910 since he makes a commission, but told me to save my money. He too owns the 2200 and is quite satisfied. It comes down to how much we are willing to spend for perfection or what we perceive as perfection. He told me I could spend a few thousand dollars for separate equipment that would up-convert much better the a dvd player. Overall I quite satisfied with my equipment.

Anyway thanks for your comments. Ron

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts