Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5112 - 07/02/02 12:52 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Jeremy

That's a pretty decent price for the DV47A. I've seen some reviews of the DV47A that complained about the SACD performance. Have you had any first-hand experience with it? Is it folks being overly-critical, or is the DV47A paying a price for being one of the first to cram everything into one player?

(Happily enjoying interlaced DVD and DVD-Audio while I wait for a good, affordable universal player...)

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#5113 - 07/02/02 02:26 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, U.S.
You know honestly Gonk, I don't own this unit. I desperatly want to!! And as far as the SACD functionality of the DV-47A, I haven't been able to really spend enough time demoing it at my local retailer. I have seen the video performance and was bowled over with it's incredible picture definition and rock solid color delineation. My progressive Sony player is no slouch, but it does seem to have some over-pixelation issues, and has a problem with colorbanding reds to a fairly severe degree. That, and the fact that usually LCD displays have the tendency to show pixel structure to a higher degree than some other types of displays.

I was first drawn to the DV-47A by an aricle in Home Theater Magazine, in the May 2002 issue, where they gave it a good workout audibly and visually, and an excellent review. Unfortunately this review is not available on their site online, but I will try to replicate it for you back on this thread in the next couple of days, if you would like.

#5114 - 07/02/02 06:28 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
On the subject of disk compatibility, my sister has a set of Buffy DVDs that play perfectly on her Panasonic RP-56. On my PS2, the first two disks play fine but the third one begins to skip badly near the middle (layer change?) and then cuts out altogether. Atempts to skip to a chapter past the cut-out point give a "can't read disk" message. The disk has a similar behavior on my mom's iMac.

Go figure.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#5115 - 07/04/02 12:49 AM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Mystery solved or resolved as the case may be:
The guys at Tweeter took the Blackhawk disc in the back (while I was returning the NS715P) and decided it might be warped, (never had that happen, and you can spin it , flip it, and cross section eyeball it and it does not look so.
Took it to Blockbusters told them what Tweeters said and the background I gave you and they replaced it. I was impressed, since I had trashed the original cash receipt. It did help that I took in a cash receipt for 5 DVD’s I had purchased with them the week before. (Just to show I was a loyal customer).

SZ & Jeremy, thanks for the suggestions, I am now back in the market for a new Prog. Player.
I would recommend the video capabilities of the Sony player, but either I got a lemon, or they have some severe quirks to tend to on that latest model. I hit the door of Tweeters just before they closed and asked for the Pioneer you mentioned Jeremy, they only had one display left and the salesman could not locate it, the Panny 82 end #model, does not show in his computer with a ship date yet.

Time to do some more learning / pondering. Thank you for your help, any other thoughts please let me know. I’m all ears!

#5116 - 07/04/02 06:24 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
davewb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: columbia, md, usa
Lena,
Thanks for your comments on my post about video monitors. One of the things I am also looking at is a new DVD player -- and I have been drawn to the Pioneer DVD 47-A because of it's ability to play both multichannel SACD and DVD-A. I also saw the Home Theater review of the unit -- and the liked it very much (both audio and video). I've had a chance to see it at my local high-end dealer, and the video was excellent. Haven't had a chance to demo the SACD and DVD-A capabilities yet -- but I will.

You should definitely check this out! Typical retail price on the unit is around $1000, so the lower price quoted above is pretty good.

Enjoy the lake and the Rangers!

#5117 - 07/05/02 11:24 AM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Desperado

Someone had just relocated the DVD-47A to a different display, the salesman was hunting it - was more than willing to help, - but I took mercy on him (these guys where trying to get out of Dodge to start their 4th) Told him I'd do some research and call/come back. I threw out Jeremy's internet price and the Tweeter salesman said he would match it.
He did suggest possibly waiting to check out some new models coming out across all brands and added that he knew the unit had been well regarded but personally did not like the construction quality.
If you get to demo the sound, Post and let us know, if you've time!

The Ranger Game was great (11-8) Skydivers/fireworks it was fun. For some reason I got mixed on my teams, and thought I might get to see Randy Johnson pitch. Too Bad, - wanted to see how TALL he looked in person. RJ dwarfed Nolan Ryan on camera. I’ve seen Ryan up close at Baseball camp etc. and he’s a man who dwarfed most others around him! Pudge looks shorter in person from 1st row seats and we maintained eye contact frequently, which is a strange sensation. Since the camera can pan you, - don't want mustard dripping down your chin.

#5118 - 07/05/02 12:11 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Lena, if you want to trace the roots of your current TV (like you've got nothing better to do , you can follow this link, http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bigequipment1.shtml
and read all about my Sony KL-W9000 monitor. Just some interesting reading.

#5119 - 07/05/02 01:10 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Desperado

That was a very good read. Its funny in my inept way of trying to describe why I like this set, - all the positives he lists are exactly why I went ahead with the purchase.

1: ambient lighting and room size are issues that you're grappling with.
2: As with all LCD displays, rich, deep black rendering is impossible, but .. almost becomes a non-issue… distinct advantages of no convergence hassles and no permanent burn-in when displaying static images.
3: Picture is bright, even in fully lit rooms, including daylight. Colors are rich and vibrant with no discernable bleeding or dot crawl.
4: It's a beautiful chassis
5: High-quality programming will appear great. Everything else will look... eh!

Noticed that they dropped the RGB for Component from your model to mine. I would have appreciated the RGB, and I’m sure you - the Component! I wonder if they did not 'revamp' the data capiblity limitations (when used as a computer monitor) listed in the article, therefore changing the inputs to strengthen the displays use for video only.
I don't see any sign of green fog/hot spotting up close (and we are close!) or shimmer, maybe they addressed those issues on the 60"
I’ll do some digging in the rest of the links included, Thank you for posting it.

I feel sure my unit will drop considerarably in price again soon, and be a very good deal PP to veiwing experience.

Did just notice Sony is one Sponsor for that site. So those poss. shoppping for that set take it with salt. However I concur with the article on detailing the reasons for my purchasing

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited July 05, 2002).]

#5120 - 07/05/02 03:00 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Well I'm glad you liked that article Lena! I purchased my Sony monitor because of that article. That and the fact that at that time (3 years ago) those Sony monitors had just recently been discontinued and the last available units were selling for a song! So I just dove right on in, and really haven't had any complaints since.

I have however dealved into the semi-taboo, warranty-voiding realm of Service Mode Adjustments with my set, which is also why my picture quality has doubled since it's initial purchase! Though this was an extremely difficult and time consuming task that I would never recommend to anyone who is not completely comfortable with navigating cryptic adjustment menus, especially how I did it, without a service manual!

I'll try and get that Home Theater Magazine article on the Pioneer 47A up as soon as I can.

Ya'll take care and have a great weekend.

-Jeremy

#5121 - 07/05/02 03:54 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Desperado

I’ve come such a long way (since Christmas) but have barely placed a foot on the path of the A/V handbook. I think I better leave off playing in Service Mode for a year to see how far I might get!! I can see me muttering those famous last words 'whoops' (or something worse). But that’s another plus for this unit, more people seem to post satisfaction with the pic out of the box over other RP which often need a paid house call.

I am beginning to get an inkling of what the forums grump about when in Brick & Mortars. (and this from someone who still mixes up the difference between connections)
Starting to get a ‘reputation’ (evil grin ) when in stores. At Tweeter’s one guy called the other guys other to see the ‘girl’ who had asked detailed questions on the phone about the Sony LCD. I was talking to him about the DVD players and he said “you wouldn’t be so & so who called another sales rep the other day would you?” I had 4 of em standing in a circle staring in surprise as if I was a toothbrush who got up and went out and changed the oil in their car or something.
I’ve already ‘argued nicely’ in the past with sales reps in other stores, who come up to see if I wanted help when I was browsing rows, on what the RCA 38 WS and the HK8000 were capable of. (Gonk gave me my first lesson in PrePro/Receiver amplification.)
In other words you guys have created a monster! But it’s an awful lot of fun.
Look forward to the 47 review.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts