Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5102 - 07/01/02 10:21 AM Mystery of the DITW DVD
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Hi people’s. This is more in the nature of a poll. Had a ‘Black Hawk Down’ DVD played prob. 3 times on our old DVD/TV setup. Put this disc into the new Prog. DVD player last night (which I think is going back but that's another story) and got “Disc will not play” message. At first I thought there was some issue new to me with the prog. player somehow being incompatible with this disc. So I switched the old DVD player back on line, same message. Then dusted the disc and reinserted into the Prog. Player got a different message “Disc Dirty”.

In approx. 3 years of heavy DVD use, I have never had a disc ‘go bad’, and this includes heavy ‘operator abuse’ perpetrated on the discs by the kids around here.

This particular DVD looks perfect to the eye. I’m curious what percent of disc loss any of you have experienced in your past?

#5103 - 07/01/02 10:57 AM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Well, at last count I haven't had any discs go bad on me, so I guess that puts me solidly at 0% loss. I had a couple CD's start skipping because they were visibly scratched, but that was all on an old Pioneer 6-disc changer a little over ten years ago. It's particularly odd that it just "konked out" almost as soon as they came out of the keepcase. If it was just one player, I'd suspect the same thing you did initially -- player incompatibility. I had a disc or two that would sometimes have problems with my old A310, but those discs worked fine in the Toshiba SD1600 in the bedroom and in the new RA60, and none of them went so far as to flat out not play.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#5104 - 07/01/02 12:52 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, U.S.
I have had a few discs in the past give a couple of my different DVD players trouble similar to what you are experiencing, including the illusive "Dirty Disc" message, even when the disc appears to be clean. If you have just recently purchased Black Hawk Down, I absolutely recommend that you take it back immediately for a replacement and attempt to play the new disc on both of your DVD players. The substrate that the DVD information resides on sometimes can be microscopically torn or otherwise corrupted during production. If this problem continues to occur, even after replacing the disc, you may want to check with the customer service of your DVD player and see if this is a known problem that exists in that product line. From what you have said, this sounds like it is the disc causing the problem though. The Matrix DVD caused some early DVD players to freeze up, randomly skip chapters and on some, would just plain not work at all, so it is not an uncommon occurrence.

I forgot which DVD player you said that you owned, was it the Sony DVP-9000ES?
I personally have owned a Sony DVP-S3000, a Panasonic A-120, Sony DVP-NS700P(my current reference model/Progressive Scan), a Pioneer DV-343, and a Sony DAV-S300 Dream Theater mini DVD system (my wife?s, in our bedroom . The player that gave me the most trouble was my Pansonic player (same make that GONK had problems with), but I think that was because it was a second generation unit, as well as one of their lowest end models.

I hope that a new copy of that DVD will solve your problem.

P.S. I see that you are looking for a new progressive scan DVD player. If I might inquire, what is you current budget for a replacement for you current Prog. Scan model? Have you already decided which player to get?

Once Again, good luck Lena!

-Jeremy

#5105 - 07/01/02 01:49 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Desperado

I get overwhelmed and say I won't research then get sucked into it. I'm starting to make spur of the moment purchases which has sometimes had a happy outcome for me other times were regrettable.

Was going to post this under a Prog. Player Recommendations topic but..

Had a Pioneer DV-C302D 3 disc changer, and it has been a trooper. Had a few miniscule 'skippy' moments but its pretty much handled everything thrown at it. Double duty as CD/DVD player.

Passing by a Tweeters I entered (whoops) wanting an accessory. All the sudden I had an irresistible impulse to see what a Progressive player would look like on our new Sony LCD. (Ever had that urge?) I asked the salesman to recommend since I had not pulled up anything yet on Prog. players. My criteria were based on the fact that:
I'm happy with the Outlaw sound and did not care to pay for High-end Audio capabilities in it. Have spent some $lately and figured I might make this an intern purchase and told the guy point to the best video stats. not worrying about the audio side of it.
Came home with the Sony 12 bit 108 MHz DVP-NS715P.

Gladiator immediately showed remarkable improvement: background in scenes I previously thought were smoky or 'depth of field' out of focus in the opening battle became detailed. Very Nice improvements. Then inserted an old favorite Jeremiah Johnson, luckily this is a dialogue slim movie because the lips keep moving after the audio has played (no sync).
After a very quick glance in the manual, I cannot see that I have adjustments for this problem. Then with a few more discs, Pitch Black, etc, have had some major 'skip' incidences, and a few 'hangs' for seconds at a time. Next day I was quizzing the salesman where I returned a cable and he said players do sometimes have issues with sync which are not user resolvable.

Obviously there was more to factor in my Progressive player purchase than I had realized.

I'm thinking (sensitive to skip alone) this player will prob. be returned.
After a quick scan of HTF, became interested in an upcoming Panasonic DVD-RP82?
What caught my attention quickly is that it was suggested it will have the same 'scale' abilities as the RP91? Users’ stating this is of more importance for a 16.9 set which 'locks' into Full on HD. (my current Sony)
I see that again......(bleeped for good taste) there is so much to learn. Any thoughts to share?

(I worried about finding the receipt, which I usually toss after a DVD has been played, and I think I Pd cash, but I'm going to 'try' at BB's. They can see it has not been abused.)

#5106 - 07/01/02 03:08 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Well I know what impulse buying can do to a budget, (not to mention buying my marriage counselor's new BMW. and having been an avid DVD devote and early adopter, I feel justly constitutes my 250 DVD's, but I digress. Unfortunately this industry is, as you have come to find out, extremely diversified even in individual catagories, with DVD players just as different as apples-to-oranges! The DVD player that you purchased I believe is this years model of my current player (DVP-NS700P) and sometimes, without any real explaination moving from one generation of player to another, anomolies arise. This may or may not be the case with you particular player, but overall it sounds as though you aren't terribly satisfied.

I have heard a lot of good press about the performance of the Panasonic RP-91, and would assume that the RP-82, if using the same circuitry, would probably be a good buy. The Pioneer Elite DV-47A DVD player is a bit more expensive, but with it's, IMHO incredible video performance and rare inclusion of having BOTH SACD and DVD-Audio playback capability (both 2.0 and 5.1 channel capable) in one unit, it would pretty much justify it's price. The closest comparison of a quality DVD-A/SACD/DVD player that I could find was also a pioneer, but runs for about $5000.00!! I personally would probably buy the Pioneer DV-47A because of these facts alone, taking into account that I am both an audiophile and videophile, but it does cost around $1200. That's just a bit out of MY price range right now. Most of the reviews for the RP-91 that I have read have been favorable, with some notations regarding the video performance slightly lower than other lower priced Panasonic Progressive Scan models, but the main draw is it's ability to scale non-animorphic DVD's to fit your 16:9 display. If that feature is disabled in your sets progressive input, as it is in my Sony LCD 16:9 display, I can see your interest in the Panasonic player.

The reason I would recommend the Pioneer over the Panasonic player, especially in you case Lena, is to allow you and your husband not only the ability of getting the very best video image you can on your brand new Grand Wega, but also to fully take advantage of the Outlaw 950's audio capabilities (DVD-A/SACD). This is again just my humble opinion. The rest is up to you

Hope you and your Husband have a great 4th!!

-Jeremy

#5107 - 07/01/02 03:13 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

LQQKIE...LQQKIE, I'm a GUNSLINGER now!!!!

P.S. I found an online store with that Pioneer player selling it for $849 +26 S&H. Gotta' Scoot!!

#5108 - 07/01/02 04:00 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Desperado

Quote:
If that feature is disabled in your sets progressive input, as it is in my Sony LCD 16:9 display, I can see your interest in the Panasonic player.

Good point, it might not be?!? Although would having ability to scale through the DVD player increase the (range) of scale options, if combined or just duplicate the Sony’s choices?

PS: Congrats Gun Slinger!. I recommend the purchase of a Peacemaker Colt, comes in handy some days! (just kidding this is a great place to be..they put up with me!
I know the Sony locks into full on a component Sat feed, (Vs S-Video Sat where I can still scale) but it crossed my mind I may have tweaked the pic. on some DVD's. (So many new buttons to play with I get lost) Something to look into tonight.

Would be interested in seeing the link to the Pioneer, might be on another research binge here before I decide on the whether to return the player. It does do a great pic. and mayhap its just more sensitive to old surface marred discs? (Or this could be an inherent byproduct of progressive technology and poor layer change ablities?) But I'd rather have a unit that can handle that situation better.
(The Pioneer seemed to play any/thing any/condition)
Happy 4th to You!!! If I stop ignoring my business, to play around in cyberspace every day, we are going up to the Sis' lake house, where it is perfectly legal to shoot off quantities of FW’s. (The boys favorite time of year!)

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited July 01, 2002).]

#5109 - 07/01/02 05:01 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
sz Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Soddy Daisy, TN
Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:

Would be interested in seeing the link to the Pioneer, might be on another research binge here before I decide on the whether to return the player. It does do a great pic. and mayhap its just more sensitive to old surface marred discs? (Or this could be an inherent byproduct of progressive technology and poor layer change ablities?) But I'd rather have a unit that can handle that situation better.
(The Pioneer seemed to play any/thing any/condition)

I have a Kenwood DV-5900M and over 200 DVDs. This player is a progressive scan player and I have never had a DVD skip, nor have I had any problems out of it. If I were you I would at the very least return your current unit and ask for a replacement and see if that unit is just bad. By all means, don't keep it if it doesn't make you happy smile

#5110 - 07/02/02 01:37 AM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
As for returning DVD's... Suncoast Video will take them back without a receipt. I've done it several times. They'll just issue you a store credit but let's face it, it's not hard to spend, is it?

Judging from this thread, I apparently have a TON of researching to do before buying my next DVD player!

#5111 - 07/02/02 12:44 PM Re: Mystery of the DITW DVD
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

I'm sorry for the delay, Lena! I was also at work while I was typing my reply yesterday and would have given you the address to that Pioneer DVD player then. DOH!!! Here it is :

http://www.dvdcity.com/dvdplayer/dv47a.html

Well happy hunting there liddle-lady, Waha!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts