Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#50882 - 03/08/05 03:24 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
I think they ought to get their own set of channels from an amp. They'd need a HP crossover too. Not sure if the amp or HU would have that on it.

What I really think you want to try is moving the MBQ tweeters up there. You might not even have to run new wires. Just pluck them from their current location and put them where the Kickers were. Where exactly are they now? Both sets, that is. I don't know where stock locations are for you. The tweeter may not be right on the mid. It could be up higher in the door. Usually stock tweeter locations are terrible.

#50883 - 03/08/05 06:16 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
most alpine amps(sub amps excluded) have selectable hi or lo pass x-overs(and adjustable) for front and rear but i believe you are using all 4 channels now,right?

my neighbor had an aftermarket pioneer head unit that was totally configurable with selectable high pass for front and rear,assuming a sub was being run,now the cool(and strange) thing was the hi pass only affected the speaker level out!
all preamp outputs were automatically high passed from where the sub was lo passed.hard to put into words but read this several times to understand what i'm saying.

if that is the case with your pioneer then you could easily drive the kickers with the head unit(assuming it has an internal amp)

#50884 - 03/08/05 08:06 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

I checked on the amp and it does have a crossover, but I don't know if you can adjust it for the front and rear independently. Alpine doesn't just let you see the manual. :rolleyes:

#50885 - 03/08/05 09:07 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
painttoad Offline
Desperado

jt

alpine changed it's site!used to be able to download ALL manuals.

sent you 2 pm's with links to specs and pics.(avoid copyright infringement, u know!)

#50886 - 03/08/05 10:36 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Yeah, I know. I remember being able to do that awhile ago. I was so annoyed when trying to help other people out before and found that they switched. Maybe it was just too much for their site. I saw the specs and the pics. The reason I was hoping for the manual is that it can better explain how things work. The pics aren't quite detailed enough to see. Oh well, the main thing right now is to determine how the front stage is connected together. He may even have rear speakers on the rear channel already. Haven't heard anything either way on that.

#50887 - 03/08/05 11:07 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
painttoad Offline
Desperado

kinda hard to help when the topic starter ain't here,huh?your suggestion of the mb tweeters being raised is the best and most logical solution(easiest also)

#50888 - 03/09/05 12:03 AM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
painttoad Offline
Desperado

wing
are you running speakers in all door(4)?
or channels bridged in front door?
you mention a sub,does it have it's own amp?

we're trying to get the setup right first,JT trust me the 540 has separate x-overs for front and rear. I THINK we know the problem already(since my old setup with tweets paralleled with infiniti x overs,smoked)but we need all the help so you can go back to the shop totally armed with info,hell,let them tell you what they want to do to fix it,come back,tell us and see if it computes,have 'em put it paper & read it as they wrote it,jt knoes a bit about car audio,i know a bit,my buddy's a pro installer,don't let them blow smoke(you know where)
we'll get cha figured out!

njoy til tommorrow past bedtime eek (way late)

#50889 - 03/09/05 09:30 AM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
I have speakers in all 4 doors and the sub has its own amp. An Alpine MRD M301 I think. The head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P760. So, when I get there tomorrow I say 'are the Kickers crossed over parallel to the MBQ's and if so let's try ________?' (Enter Gene Rayburn wink )

I did pose the option of moving the MB Tweets up there and he told me to just let him check out the Kickers first before we do that. I was also having the problem of the headlights causing a slight buzz in the speakers (apart from the other buzz).

#50890 - 03/09/05 11:04 AM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

You want to know how the Kickers are wired up. With speakers in the rear I'd guess that he wired them in with the MB Q tweeters on the crossover. I don't think he should do that. You'll want to understand exactly how everything is wired up right now. Then you can start to understand what other options will give you. The biggest part of that (at the moment) is the Kickers because they are the problem and they are being forced into a set that wasn't meant to incorporate them.

I don't want to be negative towards the guy, but if he sold you the Kickers, of course he wants you to keep them in and use them. smile I think you should exhaust options using the MB Q's only first, and then look at other things. Take the Kickers out and see what you can do with the MB Q's first.

If the Kickers cover up the sound of MB Q tweets, then maybe switch in the Kickers for the MB Qs. There is no point in keeping in a component that doesn't sound good or right. It won't be quite what the crossover was designed to work with, but it should be far closer than having a pair of mismatched tweeters wired up to it. Especially within a confined space like a car, keep things as simple as possible.

Headlights are causing a buzz too? Smells like a possible grounding issue.

#50891 - 03/09/05 11:58 AM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
Can I take you guys with me? laugh The main reason I put in the Kickers was to soften the harshness of the titanium tweets on the MBQs and raise my soundstage.

I am going to make a copy of this forum and take it with me for notes. Home theater I have a pretty good grasp of but car audio..not so much. At least I know what to ask and look for now. Thanks guys for all your help. I will know more tomorrow.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts