Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#50872 - 03/06/05 10:58 AM Car Audio Speaker Question
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
Hey guys. I thought while I am waiting for my 950 I would troubleshoot a speaker issue in my ride. I have Mb Quarts PCE 216s in my Trailblazer and I just recently added Kicker tweeters in the dash to improve the forward soundstage since the Trailblazers speakers are set so low. At first they sounded really nice but now they are buzzing like crazy. I hear so much distortion I just want to remove them entirely. What causes this ? Is it fixable? Also I notice that my radio does not pick up stations well now at all. Lots of static. I think maybe my car audio shop messed this one up.

#50873 - 03/06/05 11:40 AM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
mb quarts are VERY power hungry,unless you have an outboard amp they will not perform well,you are just sucking the life out of your radio!the combo(with the tweeters)probably dropped the load so low the head unit just doesn't want to perform.

#50874 - 03/06/05 01:31 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

I have an Alpine F540 4 channel amp running all but the sub (of course). I thought that would be plenty. Maybe just not enough for the tweets also?

#50875 - 03/06/05 01:48 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
alpine should be enough,try disconnecting the tweeters see how it sounds,one setup i had,had aftermarket tweeters up high to raise the soundstage,did more harm than good,had them parallelled with infinity tweeters on the infinity x-over,ended up causing some load problem and i smoked all the front right highs!

#50876 - 03/06/05 08:52 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Wait, are you running both the MB Q tweets AND the kicker tweets? That's a lot of highs. How are these hooked up? Which speaker is distorting? Kicker, MB Q, both? For the radio, I imagine you have an aftermarket deck? Make sure the power antenae wire is connected (a blue wire). Sometimes installers won't connect it for some silly reason or another.

#50877 - 03/06/05 10:14 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Hi JT. Just the Kickers are distorting . I do have an aftermarket Pioneer. I guess I will just have to schlep down to the shop and have them take 'em out and check the wire. My car guy hooked them up to the front MB Quarts I am not exactly sure how ???

#50878 - 03/06/05 10:48 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Have them show you exactly what they did. You want to know where the Kicker tweeters are wired to in particular. They should be able to show you with the door panel off. Namely, if the Kicker tweeters are hooked to the MBQ crossover or to their own spot on the amp. It should be the second way. I'm not sure if I can actually solve anyting, but we can sure try.

I'm not a fan of adding additional tweeters to a setup, expecially tweeters that are not identical to (let alone a different brand entirely) the main set being used. You wouldn't do that with your HT now, would you? smile

Since the 216's are components, you can take the MBQ tweeter and put them up in the A-pillar or dash, away from the mid if you like. I prefer to have them together, even though the stage may be a little low, but many people do like the height. It's personal preference. I think you'd be much better off going this route. Try to find a spot where the distance from the mid to you and the distance from that tweeter to you are the same and it should help minimize the difference.

#50879 - 03/08/05 11:40 AM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Spoke to the car guy yesterday and I asked if the extra tweets were too much . He told me that they really should not draw any more from the amp???? I am taking it in on Thursday. They did sound REALLY good at first. This has been a gradual deterioration and buzz build up. I really like the silk domes of the kickers. It helps take some edge off the MB Quarts.

#50880 - 03/08/05 01:08 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

It's not that it's too much for the amp. He's right in that they would draw very little extra power. If he wired them in parallel or series with the MBQ tweeters into the crossover it could very easily screw with the crossover.

#50881 - 03/08/05 01:42 PM Re: Car Audio Speaker Question
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Oh, I see .Sorry. I didn't get it. So how should he wire them differently assuming he did so in parallel with the Quarts?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts