Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#50826 - 01/10/05 04:08 PM CES Report
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
Dish Network was showing their new HD-DVR model 942, which will be available in March. It's a dual tuner DVR with 2 TV outputs. It has the ability to integrate a broadcast antenna connection directly into the DVR for seamless channel changing. It also has DVI-D and HDMI ouputs. The rep's there said that it will record 25hrs of HD programming including Dolby Digital where available. I personally can't wait for March!
There was a lot of talk at the show about VOOM not making it in the marketplace and possibly being gobbled up by one of the bigger sattelite TV providers.
I watched/listened to a lot of demo's at the show.
I was very impressed with Sony's Qualia line of projectors; in my opinion the best video quality available today outside an IMAX theater. I was also impressed with Paradigm's Studio series of speakers and ProAc's speakers; I'm not sure which models they were demo'ing.
I got a chance to speak to Dr. Hsu at the Hsu Research room but he was busy talking to dealers. As I said, I had a chance:)
A couple of other interesting items. I stopped by Boulder Amplifiers room. Their rep was showing me their high-end preamp with a 1/2" machined aluminum chassis. The 1/2" aliminum front panel is dovetailed onto the sides of the chassis! Even the wording on the remote was machined into the aluminum. Kimber Kable had a show special on their products so I decided to purchase another set of Component Video cables to go with my Outlaw Audio PSC's. The only cables they had left retail for $550. Their show special price was $399. I had forgotten how lucky we are to have Outlaw Audio

#50827 - 01/10/05 11:25 PM Re: CES Report
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
worldwide,

Since you saw the Sony projectors I'm wondering if you got a look at their ChromaVue "black screen"? This is one development that has me psyched but I would like to hear some first hand impressions. Nobody has said anything negative but there must be some drawbacks. They seem to be pairing it with their lcd projectors so I wonder how well it would work with dlp.

#50828 - 01/11/05 12:20 AM Re: CES Report
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
I don't know if Sony was using that screen in their demo theater or not. Their demo room was the size of a modern movie thater and was very dark, so the ChromaVue screen would have provided no advantage in that environment. It seems like a good idea though for those who don't have a dedicated home theater in their house and instead have a dual-use space that can't be made sufficiently dark.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM