Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#50659 - 11/09/04 05:19 PM Re: Howdy Y'All (Introductions)
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
[Quote]A Saluki! My parents both went to SIU around 1970 - dad has a MFA from the there (his emphasis was in metals) and mom has a BA.[Quote]

Unfortunately Gonk I am not a Saluki, I am a Cougar. Carbondale did not have a Mass Com Program, so I went to the SIU Edwardsville campus just outside of Saint Louis, but there is an interesting parallel there still.

My parents Graduated from the University of Illinois. My father earned a BS in Civil Engineering in 1966, my mom a BA in Music. He almost accepted an offer to teach and complete his graduate work at SIU Carbondale, instead he went to the Poly Technical Institute in Brooklyn NY from 1968-1970.

If he had taken the offer from Carbondale, he would have taught and attended at the same time as your parents in the same department. The world is truly a small place. wink cool wink

#50660 - 11/09/04 05:20 PM Re: Howdy Y'All (Introductions)
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
Hi
I'm Jim Berry. 42 Married, with 2 beautiful daughters,(Look like their Mother!), 1 dog,(Chesepeake Bay Retriever). Member of Local 103 I.B.E.W. for 20 years. Electrician, Master's license Massachusetts, Journeyman's license Colorado. Graduate Wenworth Institute of Technology, Electronics. Moved to Walsenburg, CO in 1992, moved back to 8 months later. I work at the Fleet Center Boston, setting up Celtic's and Bruins', (when they aren't locked out) games, concerts, ice shows, etc.

Became interested in Stereo equipment in the 80's. Still have a lot to learn,( thanks and congratulations Gonk).

#50661 - 11/09/04 05:33 PM Re: Howdy Y'All (Introductions)
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
Quote:
Became interested in Stereo equipment in the 80's. Still have a lot to learn,( thanks and congratulations Gonk).

Yeah, how did I miss that congrats on the new addition. That theatre compression will come in real handy for the next couple of years!!! laugh wink laugh

#50662 - 11/09/04 06:37 PM Re: Howdy Y'All (Introductions)
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
hi fellow outlaws
i'm joe 35,auto painter
1050/b&k654/b&w601/monitor audio asw210/cal delta+sigma2/monarchyDIP
fairly new to the saloon so here's my chance to say "hi"

if that doesn't work then i have 4-12's in my s-10 ext.cab

#50663 - 11/10/04 01:15 AM Re: Howdy Y'All (Introductions)
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by painttoad:
...if that doesn't work then i have 4-12's in my s-10 ext.cab
Excuse me Painttoad, but until you chimed in I thought this was the beginning of an AA meeting. Perhaps Audioholics Anonymous and not Alcoholics Anonymous. eek

Allan here; I live in Washington, DC. And... I am an Audioholic.

I have used every excuse to indulge this habit. I often tell people, "My work frequently involves audio solutions for my clients, so I can get the stuff they don't need anymore for free or real cheap"... My wife and two boys (7 and 3 1/2) need to be entertained, so I thought, :"let's buy a whole lot of electronic gear dedicated to our collective happiness." I'm ashamed.

Anyway... Gonk, I thought you had to be at least 75 years old to have the time author over 3000 posts, and I wish you luck with the new baby. I will bet anyone that Gonk posts will decline in the post birth era. And do you ever design GeoExchange systems as an alternative to boiler/chiller designs for your multi-zone projects? I use them, they work, and they are super efficient. In your climate hybrid solutions make a lot of sense.

And BB4TB... I designed that monstrosity in Western Laurel, MD called Bethany Community Church on Riding Stable Road (North of Rt.198). Sorry, but the church has never thought it necessary to fully complete the building, and this has caused me many sleepless nights where I end up in the Saloon to drown my sorrows. I would be interested if you know about the building.

And Hullguy... you lucky son of a female dog. I played hockey in the old Boston Garden, and can tell you that the HVAC in the Visitors locker room consisted of 8" Ø steam pipes with holes in the asbestos jackets. It was probably 130 degrees in there on a cold day. Did you work there too?

And finaly... the Spatula... my father went to Brooklyn Polytechnic in the 60's, got his Ph.D. in Polymer Chemistry, and then introduced me to Rock n' Roll by taking me to see The Who at Madison Square Garden. Too bad he also liked ABBA because he was a Swedish homer. I love you dad, but ABBA, arrrgg.

Just having fun, and I hope you are too.

Allan

#50664 - 11/10/04 05:58 AM Re: Howdy Y'All (Introductions)
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
I didn't start work in the Fleet center until 1997. The Garde closed in the fall of 1995. Until they tore it done in 1999, I used to go into the Garden to perform various tasks though. They were lucky it didn't burn down!

You should see the Causeway Street area in front of where the Garden stood! The surface artery is down, (Thanks America for spending the 14 billion), and the old elevated subway is torn down. There is light after 60 years on parts of the street! Jim

#50665 - 11/10/04 08:17 AM Re: Howdy Y'All (Introductions)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Thanks for the congrats, folks. Mrs. gonk and I are both looking forward to the new arrival.

Quote:
And do you ever design GeoExchange systems as an alternative to boiler/chiller designs for your multi-zone projects? I use them, they work, and they are super efficient. In your climate hybrid solutions make a lot of sense.
Due in part to getting our power from TVA's generating grid, there is very little interest in ground source systems - my office did one recently on a smaller building, but that's probably the only one we've done in at least ten years. The projects that we use chillers and boilers on tend to be large enough that ground source systems could run the risk of upsetting the artesian springs that provide Memphis with drinking water, and the city is very protective of those springs. I wouldn't mind doing some thermal storage on a chiller plant, but the market is not suited for it because of the low utility rates. We do use a lot of waterside economizers in chiller plants, which can let the chillers stay offline through much of the winter on buildings with year-round cooling loads.

#50666 - 11/10/04 09:06 AM Re: Howdy Y'All (Introductions)
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
OK, I'm in.

I am a software developer working for an investment firm in NYC. Hoping to get out of the Wall Street grind some day soon but I have not decided on my next career yet.

I got into audio equipment when a friend recommended I purchase a pair on Sennheiser headphones. This turned into a purchase of an entire new system as I discovered that my reciever wasn't good enough for my new headphones, then my Speakers were not good enough for my new 1050, then my DVD player needed an upgrade, New wide screen TV, new universal remote....You know the drill.

Wow, it is starting to sound like an AA meeting. "Hi everyone, I purchased my first piece of audio equipment in aught one and have been hooked ever since"

Anyway I would like to add thanks to Outlaw for supporting this forum and to the members of this forum for all the wonderful advise and information over the last few years. This new section may make for some interesting exchanges of info.

#50667 - 11/10/04 10:36 AM Re: Howdy Y'All (Introductions)
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Congrats, Gonk!!

With all of your online authoring and house remodeling, how'd you two find time to make a baby wink laugh

If you don't already know the sex, I highly recommend waiting and being surprised.

We new that our first was going to be a boy. It was difficult to keep it a secret because you inevitably will have a Fruedian slip in casual conversation. Plus, being surprised was really cool.....the anticipation of not knowing made the birth of our second child more exciting.
We were convinced in our minds we were having another boy. When our daughter was delivered we were so happy we nearly cried!

#50668 - 11/10/04 10:57 AM Re: Howdy Y'All (Introductions)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Oh, we were determined to find out early. Her name will be Kate, and we've been forthcoming about both the sex and the name. Our parents have been good about not trying to have any say in the name selection process - plus announcing the sex and releasing the name let dad start working on the sterling silver baby cup.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM