Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5007 - 08/17/01 03:55 AM Novice question
Bryan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CA
Hi all,

I have the 1050 and it works great. I have noticed, however, on some movies, the two front speakers left and right, dont quite put out enough volume when there are some scenes with music. etc. I'm always fiddling with the center , surround decibal settings.

If I use an amp with the 1050 (like the 750) does it fill out the sound more? Just curious. Also, when listening to music does the 1050 improve the sound output at lower levels. (a fuller sound at lower levels)

JUst curious

#5008 - 08/17/01 08:58 PM Re: Novice question
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Did you set your speaker levels with a meter or by ear? I haven't had an experience quite like what you're describing, but I did have an interesting time getting mine set right.

I used an analog meter and could NOT get my front three to balance. Then I started moving things around and made an interesting discovery. My front right was continuosly at a lower level than the rest of my system, so I started the fiddling there. But I found that repositioning my front right speaker only made it worse or had no effect at all, regardless of how far I moved or angle it. But when I slid the front left about 3 inches to the left, everything balanced perfectly. Why? I don't know. I also discovered that by opening or raising the blinds on the window, the acoustics in the room changed quite dramatically.

Don't know if that helps, just my experience.

[This message has been edited by Owl's_Warder (edited August 17, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Owl's_Warder (edited August 17, 2001).]

#5009 - 08/19/01 08:49 AM Re: Novice question
Bryan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CA
Yeah I guess Im noticing the same thing. The fron three speakers dont seem balanced. I was watching the Matrix, and I noticed the music at times was really low coming from the fron right and left speakers. The Dojo fight scene between Morpheus and Neo where the upbeat music comes on sounded really low compared to what it should be. Ihave know idea how you can adjust the levels on the front right and left speakers. I thought that an AMP would add more umph to the sound.

#5010 - 12/22/01 10:57 PM Re: Novice question
Sun Man Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Gents, remember sound reacts to everything in your room. An acoustically perfect room would have to be perfectly symmetrical. Just as Owl's Warder stated the sound difference between blinds up/down. In my experience, a single volume control generally result in one channel being very slightly louder than the other. This slight difference is so slight that is's practically unnoticeable.

Speaker placement will also affect the volume slightly. I'm sure some of you may have heard of SPL (Sound Pressure Level). This is measured in db/distance (usually in meters ie: 93db/1 meter or 93db at 1 meter). So, if your speaker placement is not symetrical (a wall closer to left speaker or vice versa, sound will surely be different). If you are that critical of your system, the industry do sell audio accessory which helps deaden or attenuate those affects. Of course you can do what Owl's Warder did... by moving his left speaker 3 inches... made the difference.

So, there you have it.

Hope this helps.

#5011 - 12/29/01 06:00 PM Re: Novice question
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
I added the 750 to my existing receiver and I noticed a definite difference in the sound stage and detail of music and HT. This was the best upgrade I have ever done next to having Paradigm Ref. speakers.

------------------
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts