Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4974 - 03/21/01 05:01 PM ATI 1505 Vs Outlaw 750?
veratas Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Fresno, CA
Any truth to this posting from Audio Review?
Any comments would be appreciated.
thanks

This is the Audio Review Posting:

Submitted by: Ed Frias, Audiophile from Escondido, CA
This product's model year is 2000 and Ed has used it More than 1 year
Date Reviewed: 3/23/00 2:42:23 PM
Strengths: Sound, Construction, Headroom and Company experience!
Weaknesses: Only the person that can't lift it!
Similar Products Used: Krell, Aragon, Outlaw, B&K, Rotel, Adcom
Review Summary:
As a speaker manufacturer, I have auditioned many amps over the years. I find that different amps have certain qualities and attributes. Because audio equipment varies so much from owner to owner, each may find a certain amp sounds better in their system than others. That is why personal choices are subjective! But, are there audible differences in some amps that perhaps make one worth more than another? YES! How much more is up to the buyer to decide. As an ATI amp owner and dealer along with my speakers, I'd like to address the issue regarding the differences between the ATI and another popular amp, the Outlaw.

Many opinions have been written as to the ATI 1505 and the Outlaw 750 amplifiers. It is a known fact that the Outlaw amp is built by ATI for Outlaw! Because of that fact, many believe the Outlaw 750 is an ATI 1505 cloaked in a different dress. Let me be clear, IT IS NOT! Because of manufacturing costs and tooling, ATI uses a similar design and construction format, but the two amps have several differences that make the ATI superior to the Outlaw. That is not to say the Outlaw is not a good amp, because it is!

ATI is well aware of the fact that some believe they are buying a ATI 1505 at wholesale cost when buying an Outlaw 750. They believe they are skipping the mark-up of the retail dealers by buying an Outlaw amp factory direct. What they are buying is a good amp for $1100! Because it is built by ATI, it is probably the best 5 channel amp available for $1100! Step up a few hundred dollars more to the ATI 1505 or even the 1506, and you are not only buying the best amp for that price range, but I dare say for two to three times that price range! Thats not an opinion but a proven fact!

I challenge ANY magazine or independent person(s) to an honest comparison between the ATI and any other multi-channel amp on the market costing up to $5000! Why do I sound confident? Because several comparisons have already been performed and we continue to compare ATI with other amps. At the $2000 range, I just haven't found anything comparable! ATI has set the new standard and other amplifier companies are striving to come up to it. I hope many do, it will only be a benefit to the consumer!

For those who have wondered what the differences are between the ATI 1505 and Outlaw 750, here are a few.

(1) More transistors on the output stage. 8 per module for the ATI vs. 6 for the Outlaw.

(2) A larger power transformer. 2kva for the ATI vs. 1.6kva for the Outlaw.

(3) Advanced circuitry design in the ATI. Because of proprietary design I can't discuss the differences.

(4) Detachable AC power cord on the ATI. This allows upgrading the AC line for those who believe in that tweek.
Its main function is to make it simpler to remove the amp if necessary and change if ever damaged.

(5) A heavier gage metal used for the ATI cabinet.

SUMMATION:
What are the main reason to buy the ATI over the Outlaw? A better built, tougher amp with much better capabilities of running heavy loads and low efficiency speakers! With all 5 channels driven to max, the Outlaw CANNOT meet the demands that the ATI does! So, is the few hundred dollars difference worth it? Absolutely! But, on the other hand. For the person that can't afford the extra few hundred bucks, he still can buy an amp that has much of ATI's quality and will also out-perform any amps in it's class!
Considering that a buyer will only need to purchase this amp one time for many many years, I say go for the best and don't look back! ATI meets that requirement!
Ed Frias
EFE TECHNOLOGY Speakers

#4975 - 03/22/01 12:14 AM Re: ATI 1505 Vs Outlaw 750?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I can't respond entirely to that, but I have read some on that before. I believe that the author of that review is somewhat incorrect. To provide a counter-point to one AudioReview review, I'll post another (I remember reading both of these last fall).

"Submitted by: bigwally , Audio Enthusiast from Cali
This product's model year is 2000 and bigwally has used it 3 months to 1 year
Date Reviewed: 4/21/00 6:39:10 PM
Strengths: Great value, and proof that you don't always get what you pay for. Sometimes, you get more.
Weaknesses: Not as pretty as some of the competition.
Similar Products Used: For home audio, I've used amps by SAE and Yamaha. As a musician, I've owned amps in this class built by Crown, BGW, and Mackie. After much time spent comparing specs and reviews for 5-channel HT amps, (Golden Theater, ATI, Parasound, B&K...) I came to the conclusion that Outlaw Audio offers the very best value with little or no compromise.
Review Summary: First, I'd like to clear up a few points on the issue of the Outlaw 750 vs. the ATI 1505. Both represent tremendous value, but their differences are not as previously reported. In fact, they are so similar as to defy differentiation by any but the most opinionated criteria.

1. The Outlaw 750 is NOT built by ATI. Both amps were designed by their respective sellers, and the assembly in each case is subcontracted to the same 3rd party manufacturer (not a name that anyone would recognize) in Southern California, who also provides assembly for 6 other "manufacturers". This practice is prevalent, and encompasses the "high end" as well. (Nice thing about this age of the internet, everyone is naked!)

2. The ATI has 2 more output devices per channel than the Outlaw. (Both use the same Toshiba bi-polar transistors). With everything else being equal, more current might be available in the case of the ATI, but current also depends on the design of the pre-drive stage circuitry. For those of us not using humongous true ribbon Maggie, or electrostat speakers, it's a non-issue. Also, both amps use the same large, high quality power caps from Panasonic, which contribute to the prodigious headroom of these units. As far as sonic quality goes, the merits of using more output transistors beyond basic electrical needs is akin to the debates over speaker cables.

3. The ATI uses a larger toroidal transformer, but this is a non-issue as well. When it comes to rated wattage with all five channels driven, the Outlaw 750 slightly edges the ATI 1505. Apparently, either transformer is quite capable of supplying what's needed to the voltage rails, so it's overkill in either case. As it should be.

4. ATI claims to value match their output transistors, but Outlaw does in fact buy their transistors in matched and labeled pairs. Different approach(?), same results.

If you are in the market for a great 5-channel amp, you can't go wrong with the Outlaw 750. To my ears, it doesn't color the sound in anyway, and has tons of power in reserve for transient responses. With my 8 ohm speakers this amp is overkill, and I have no further concerns toward distortion. My only fear now is "bottoming out" my bass drivers. I bought this amp with the thought of eventually upgrading to box speakers which are a 4 ohm design. I'm quite sure that it will serve them very well.

Highly recommended."

That's my $0.02 (as someone planning to order a 750 to go with the 1050 I'm listening to as I type this and the Paradigm Reference speakers that are on there way from Canada). One of the Outlaws might be able to help clear the air a bit, as well.

#4976 - 03/24/01 03:59 PM Re: ATI 1505 Vs Outlaw 750?
Secretary of Insight Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis
You should look through the archives a bit more. Bigwally has another post I remember reading later on where he admits that most of what Ed F said was true. The topic was done to death around the time of that post. However, the value of both amps is top notch and there may be an advantage or two of the ATI over the Outlaw, but as far as sound and performance, that's for each listener to decide. I've owned my Outlaw for almost a year and have not been dissapointed by it yet. It's the only component I own that I have not considered upgrading.

------------------
The Secretary

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts