Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#49067 - 07/01/02 03:30 AM Video Cables
rick839 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: new berlin wi, USA
I know it is hard to show a difference in sound quality between cables. I would think that the difference, if there is one, would be easier to see than hear. I am planning on buying a 61 in HDTV. Any recommendations on the three Component Video cables to go from my DVD player to the TV?? (I own a 1050 so I have to go direct to the TV) Have any studies been done?? It would be easy if you could set up two identical dvd players and two identical TV’s.

[This message has been edited by rick839 (edited July 01, 2002).]

#49068 - 07/01/02 08:05 AM Re: Video Cables
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Many of the same arguments about the value of "fancy" cables that get batted around about audio interconnects and speaker cable also turn up when it comes to video cables, so there is no easy answer. You may get some ideas here from other people's experience, though.

Personally, I've had some bad luck with Monster video cables in the past. On the other hand, I've been impressed with BetterCables SilverSerpent cables (mainly from using the S-Video cables). The initial feedback on Outlaw's PSC cables has been positive, too.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#49069 - 07/01/02 09:54 AM Re: Video Cables
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Rick839

Just "saw" a difference this week.

Had my salesman throw in 2 sets of component with my new Sony 60" purchase. He sent Straight Wire 'Ghost Buster'. One set was bad, so while at a local Tweeters and before I had time to exchange the bad set; I picked up a set of Monster Video 2.

We originally had the Straight Wire installed on the Satellite then my husband wanted to use the DVD player and moved the component cables to that unit. The new set of Monster Wire went on the Satellite. (same set of outputs and inputs). There was a VERY noticeable difference in color. The color was much hotter using the monster cable with an excess of red's, irrupting into the 'sunburned effect' on people.

I was so surprised by the color change between the 2 sets having assumed these cables would be comparable both were the bottom choice on each manufacturers line. When I went back to exchange the bad set of 'Straight Wire', I bumped up to the Straight Wire middle grade set "Video Link". I have not changed these into the stack yet but am curious if the same manf. line upgrade will also 'show' a difference.

I was very happy with the quality and price of the Outlaw PCA's I purchased with my 950/770. I will prob. order a set of the PSC to use for components and test those against what I will have already seen with the other 3 choices.

#49070 - 07/01/02 05:58 PM Re: Video Cables
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I use Better Cables s-video and home made canare rca (component and audio) cables. I believe a good video cable can make a difference but the source makes a bigger difference. Basic cable? Unless its something I'm not used to, you could probably use a 4 dollar cable. If you are talking sat, or even more important dvd and hdtv I think investing in at least a $20 (component $40) or more a cable would make a difference. As far as monster goes, I would choose AR for about half the price, its almost identical. Another option is this route,
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm ,
which is not only fun it saves a ton of money if you go the fancy cable route and have enough cables to make.

And if you get REALLY serious, here is an even better step by step process without pictures.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?postid=720443#post720443

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited July 01, 2002).]

#49071 - 07/01/02 09:15 PM Re: Video Cables
JeffreyMercado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Queens Village
The PSC I bought from Outlaw made a great difference and the price is way better than better cables. I also purchased a Monster Video 3 S-cable for my mother-in-laws TV. It made a huge improvement for her digital cable box. She has a cheapie GE television and it use to look like garbage. It really made the picture look 100% better. Smartlittlelena, did you get the 60" sony LCD? If so do you have any dead pixels? Does the manual mention anything about having to change the bulb? Did you get it for lower than $5999? How do you like the picture?

#49072 - 07/02/02 12:11 AM Re: Video Cables
rick839 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JeffreyMercado:
[B]The PSC I bought from Outlaw made a great difference and the price is way better than better cables

I need a 16+ foot calble. Outlaw does not seem to offer one that long.

I am looking at the Sony projection TV

#49073 - 07/02/02 01:56 AM Re: Video Cables
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Rick, are you looking for a 16+ ft. component cable or just a regular video cable?

#49074 - 07/02/02 12:41 PM Re: Video Cables
rick839 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Jed M:
Rick, are you looking for a 16+ ft. component cable or just a regular video cable?

Component

#49075 - 07/02/02 12:48 PM Re: Video Cables
Desperado

Yes: the Sony 60” LCD
Yes: one dead green pixel in the upper left quadrant. On this subject I tried to do some quick research, It was a quick purchase for my husband who saw/it/liked it. What I found on the web was slim. Most info I could locate was for Laptop/Comp LCD screens. It was stated it would be almost impossible for you to purchase an LCD without at least one dead pixel. It happens during manf. process and manuf. would have to scrap too many screens making the price double. There seems to be a floating magic # I saw twice mentioned with Sony Laptops (I think?) if more than 5 pixels were bad the manuf. would exchange. One time I saw a post it would have to be hundreds bad (find that hard to believe) When I did a search on what makes them GO bad, I could barely find any info. Usually it’s suggested that it occurs straight from the factory. It seemed it might be possible to lose some in a hard hit to the screen (as in a laptop being damaged). There was some indication that it is possible for pixels to go during life span, but I could find no concrete statistics on this subject.
Yes: the bulb has to be changed with estimated life span 2000 hrs. This has one of Sony’s projectors installed (same used for a screen setup - model# ends with 10? With model 11 coming out this year, improved) When the TV first was marketed bulbs were at 400, now supposedly they are $200 a pop.
Since we put many hours on any viewer, we’ll see if this ‘eats our lunch’.
No: It was 5,999. (Ouch) they had just dropped from 7. I know I could have shopped it less. They dropped from 8K months ago, and I believe will drop again fairly soon. (Due to new models coming out) I had a firm criterion, when I decided to ‘go for it’ that it be delivered on the next day. Checking with 6 stores I found only one that could swing next day guaranteed delivered but only if we did not require setup. I paid a price for haveing it here on his BD.
Yes: Love the picture. But how can I word it. Regarding all RP I have seen, (Just my personal preference) in Showrooms and in homes I NEVER wanted to own any of them. Too much, screen door, and what I call dark cloud coming over the sun, if you move a tiny bit out of sweet spot. Where either the sides or the whole screen becomes (to me) unveiwable. The GW just does not do that, only if you stand up (and I sit to watch) do you ever see the dark cloud effect. Move side to side and you are fine, the pic. is clear corner to corner, (and these are big corners). I also could not stand the ‘stretch’ in earlier generation Big screen. The Sony still has this but to a much lessor degree and except for a component feed for HD sat. you can tweak it away to my satisfaction. The experience of a movie like Gladiator or Lawrence of Arabia is simply stunning.
Our air feed (local channels) has always been practically unwatchable and this after upgrading antennas 3 times over years).
The Sony actually improves it a little. But I think we are finally going to spend some time nailing this prob down. We have a new separate garage built (where the Sat is) and its 25 feet up. We are going to try location there.
From what I can tell, DLP is going to be beautiful, But I do feel that the next 2 generations/models are going to possibly have QC issues, and it may be a bit before the manf. nail it down. I got the impression that the manuf, don’t know if TV’s (as in DVD catching on like wildfire) are going to go DLP or LCD or something else entirely. At some point you just get on and enjoy the ride available NOW. That’s what we did this time, as we had held back for a long time and where tired of waiting on what’s evolving.
This was a cut all losses enjoy it now kind of purchase (and believe me its enjoyable!!!)
It has been Ye Old Local Movie theater around here since we purchased, so much so that I can’t start finalizing /tweaking setup, because they are always watching it!

As regards what I call the BIG SCARE, (will any set be compatible with the copyright/ DVI/ Digital changeover). I Ran into a guy on a beach, who flits around with some mega corporation to Trinidad and other exotic locations who is in World Wide networking. We were talking (he was a self confessed electronic gadget collector, if it looks like anything James Bond would buy he’s got it!). He was a first adopter of plasma, his (personal opinion) on the aforementioned topic was the manf are going to HAVE to come up with some form of satisfaction for the millions of recent purchases of current sets.
I not saying he convinced me that it will go this way in the next 2 to 5. (It was just a guy on a beach!!) but I let go of worrying about the whole mess. What will be WILL be. We’ll see if I’m crying over my new ‘obsolete’ purchase in 2 yrs!
I finally decided as long as I can get a signal, (conversion gadget or otherwise) My old PL was behind the times for years and this set will be also as each new item comes on the market. But that’s the nature of this beast.

#49076 - 07/02/02 01:08 PM Re: Video Cables
Desperado

PS.
This screen is also great for near/far applications. We sit way too close (tiny room here)You really feel like your at the theater. I noticed the pic is optimum coming around the corner about 4 -6 feet farther back from the seating distance.
BUT it handles near, very ably more so than other screens I've viewed. Also best LIGHT Control I'v seen of RP. A issue in this room.
The screen looks fantastic in full daylight, and even better at night.
Saw a new Pioneer Elite widescreen, (forget the model same price as mine) the other night, with full lights up it was still very dim in the showroom so hard to judge it in that area. It was the closest I've seen to the Sonys picture. But for us a no-go due to depth. (And I bet it weighes much more) The Sony (without stand) weighs in at 138.
This is why I was so intrested in DLP, depth and weight but they are just not out yet in numbers (or a 60" version).

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts