Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#49008 - 04/07/02 05:05 PM S-Video or Composite?
warpdriver1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ,USA
I have my original s-video cable and I have the free composite video cables that came from somewhere. I am ready to upgrade one of them since I now have my 1050. So is S-video cable better than the composite cable of YGB? What kind are you using?
The 1050 is WAY COOL. I made the right decision on that.
Mike

#49009 - 04/07/02 05:18 PM Re: S-Video or Composite?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
S-Video is going to be a better choice than composite if you can do it (if you have S-Video in on your TV). One thing to remember -- the 1050's video switching does not convert between composite and S-Video.

I've been very pleased with BetterCables Silver Serpent S-Video cables. They're a bit pricey, but they're good stuff.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart

#49010 - 04/07/02 10:25 PM Re: S-Video or Composite?
youngguns Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nunica, Michigan
When you said composite ygb did you mean component rgb? With the three video cables? because if thats what you meant it is the bast way to go if your tv and dvd player are both capable. but if you are oly talking about the single yellow composite cable and s- video s-video is hands down the winner.

#49011 - 04/07/02 10:53 PM Re: S-Video or Composite?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
youngguns has a point -- "composite" is the single "RCA" video cable, but three video cables together is referred to as "component" and is superior to both composite and S-Video. Good point, youngguns.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart

#49012 - 04/08/02 04:43 AM Re: S-Video or Composite?
warpdriver1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ,USA
Yes, I did mean component rgb. However I just rechecked my DVD player and I will have to go with the S-video as it does not have the component outputs. I thought it did. I was probally thinking about the DVD player I would like to have but will have to wait on till I can save more cash. Thank you both for the help. I will look into Better Cables. I guess I could always wait until the Outlaw one comes out but I do not have that much patience.
Mike

#49013 - 04/08/02 09:50 AM Re: S-Video or Composite?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Personally, I think S-Video gets you 90% of the improvement (over composite) that you'd get with the component. Yes, component is a little better, but S-Video really is almost as good. As long as we're not talking progressive signals, which in most cases today we aren't.

I currently use component from my DVD player to my TV, and composite or S-Video for everything else. When I get the 950, I'm seriously considering going back to S-Video for the DVD player, just as a matter of convenience, because without the component I can use a single TV input for all sources. My TV has five inputs and a single button to switch between them round-robin which is a pain in the butt.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM