Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#48975 - 03/22/02 03:05 AM Re: Break-in?
another poor college stud Offline
Gunslinger

i don't mean to offend you but i am curious about what you said. if you unhook the dangling cables from the cd player, will the outputs of the cd players create an infinite impedance still? the signals from the laser reader will go to the output jacks through some kind of conductor. so if the outputs of the cd player are not connected to, say a pre/pro, it is an infinite impedance.
if the circuit is not a closed one, there will be no current go through it. i see no harm there whether the dangling cables are there.
well last time i was in physics was 4 years ago. please correct me if i'm wrong
---------
another poor college student

Quote:
Originally posted by C_Sader:
Here's a quick electronics lesson. If the interconnects are attached to the CD player at one end and nothing at the other, then you have an open circuit and NO current flows, which means the electrons are not moving through the cable. One way to look at the situation is the open circuit (the ends of the cable that are dangling) appears to be an infinite amount of impedance, and electrons don't like infinite impedance, so they don't move. Anyway hook those cables up to an input on something and good luck.

#48976 - 03/22/02 10:34 AM Re: Break-in?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
That's true, stud, but he was asking whether or not current would flow through the wire, which is the point of the break-in exercise. It indeed would not, as the air separating the pins at the end of the cables is a very good insulator. (Assuming your CD player is not going to produce enough voltage to cause arcing).

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#48977 - 03/22/02 01:18 PM Re: Break-in?
stiletto Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winter Springs, FL, USA
I don't think you can conclusively state whether there would be appropriate resistance with the pre-amp turned off. I would think there would be a very high resistance. If you really don't want to turn on your pre-amp you could look in the owners manual of your pre-amp or search on the web to see if anyone has listed the input impedance of your pre-amp and go to the Radio Shack and buy an appropriate sized resistor. Like looking at Krell amplifiers they have a 100 KOhm input impedance.

#48978 - 03/22/02 01:44 PM Re: Break-in?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Maybe you could by a 20kOhm resitor at Radio Shack and jury-rig it.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#48979 - 03/22/02 02:03 PM Re: Break-in?
Triple J Offline
Gunslinger

Here is an update. I hooked the PCA cables up from a Yamaha carousel CD to the inputs on a casette recorder. I wasn't really sure if this would close the circuit or not, but anyway, I let this run overnight with 5 of my reference high quality and most sonicly demanding CDs. About 8 hours of burn-in.

For the initial round of AB comparisons, I took the PCA cables off the carousel CD player and hooked them up to my panny91 stereo outs, and ran that to the second input on my Sony TAP9000. The first input was hooked up from the Panny91 5.1 outs with the Apature Silver BL4s cables. The preamp to amp connection was still the Apature BL4s.

Now I was in a position to sit in my chair with the remote, play a CD, and switch back and forth between inputs 1 and 2, the only difference being the CD to preamp interconnects, with the (broken-in) PCAs on 2, and the BL4s on 1 (the original and reference configuration). My test CD was Big Sugar 500 Pounds a Sterophile pick of the month 4-5 years ago I think.

Results at this point, I can't really tell the difference between the two. If I had to pinpoint something, I would say the silvers are perhaps a little sweeter on the vocal and in the midrange. Perhaps a little more air, seperation, and soundstage. I know these description will make some people giggle. Could I tell in a blind test? I doubt it.

I guess my next test will be the same but swapping the broken-in PCAs with a brand new not broken-in pair. That should conclude the break-in testing.

Keep in mind my initial reaction was with fresh cables swapped in as a total replacement for the BL4s, from player to preamp, and from preamp to amp.

#48980 - 03/22/02 02:12 PM Re: Break-in?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Very cool, Triple J. I've been watching this thread and wondering how it would turn out. The fresh vs. broken-in PCA comparison will also be interesting. I get the impression that your impression of them has improved at least some from previously (when it seemed that you felt the PCA's weren't close to your silvers) -- if that is a correct statement, that's a dramatic change for ~8 hours of burn-in. I'd be curious to hear if you become more comfortable with the PCA's after a few extra days of burn-in (if you keep them in your system). Thanks for keeping us informed.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart

#48981 - 03/22/02 04:41 PM Re: Break-in?
Triple J Offline
Gunslinger

Yes, my impressions have improved considerably. I am going to keep these cables as I have concluded they are an excellent value for the money. I can no longer hear a big difference between these and my other cables and have gotten a little worn out with the testing.

When I switched back to the non-broken in cables with the configuration described above, I believe there was some slightly more discernable impact, but not that much. At this point I had only .5 meter of impact vs. the original swap where the total length was a meter. (Keeping in mind for my testing I left the preamp to amp connection with the BL4s)

So I recommend 6-8 hours of break-in on these cables and the importance of the break-in will depend on the length of cable impacting your system.

It is possible more break-in will help further but I have decided I will retain my BL4s as my primary interconnects and use the PCAs for some other needs, such as with the subwoofer (after I BFD it) and my bedroom system. So I will probabily not be able to offer any other meaningful feedback.

If I end up getting the 950 I will at that point have some extra cables but for now I can put all these babies to use.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM