Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#48965 - 03/20/02 09:19 PM Break-in?
Triple J Offline
Gunslinger

Is a break-in period required? If so, how long?

I was trying out the PCAs today and after a few CDs I basically decided they were not close to my prior cable - which makes sense because the other was more expensive and silver. So I switched back.

The thing was the PCAs just sounded slow - not tight, especially in the bass and drum kicks, and the highs were just too edgy.

Well if somebody wants to buy these PCAs from me let me know I have four .5M pair.

#48966 - 03/20/02 09:40 PM Re: Break-in?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I would give them at least 48 hours before making any definite judgment. I left mine hooked up to a CD player on repeat for a couple or three days before doing any serious listening.

What silver cables were you using?

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart

#48967 - 03/20/02 10:00 PM Re: Break-in?
ltkhuc Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Triple J:
Well if somebody wants to buy these PCAs from me let me know I have four .5M pair.

i would be interested. please drop me a line at ltkhuc@hotmail.com and let me know the price. thx.

#48968 - 03/21/02 02:09 AM Re: Break-in?
Triple J Offline
Gunslinger

Regarding break-in, I don't really want to run my main system for that long continuous -although perhaps that is the only practical way to do it based on the four pairs of cables.

Alternatively, could I just run cables off the back of an extra CD player without hooking them up to anything? Just to to be shooting the electrons through the wire - could this hurt anything since there would be no load? I am guessing it would be OK.

Perhaps I should just hook everything up to the main system and leave the main amp off. Would setting some volume on the pramp get the interconnects from preamp to amp burned in quicker? I'll still need to rotate the surrounds into the mix since they won't be getting signal based on a stereo signal for burn-in.

I have a Prodigy CD that is a good break in piece. Well with four pair of PCAs and since I can only hang one pair on the back of the CD player at a time, I better get started. I guess I'll run this as an experiment to see if I can tell a big difference or not, unless I do sell them right away.

By the way, my other cables are Apature Accusound Silver BL4s. You can read a little more about them here:

http://www.apature.com/accusound2.htm

These are a very reasonably priced silver cable from what I can gather. Not that well known a manufacturer, though.

#48969 - 03/21/02 09:39 AM Re: Break-in?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
How about you "break in" one or two pair, and then do an A/B comparison with the un broken-in pair, and tell us here what difference you hear? Might be educational.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#48970 - 03/21/02 04:30 PM Re: Break-in?
Triple J Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hill:
How about you "break in" one or two pair, and then do an A/B comparison with the un broken-in pair, and tell us here what difference you hear? Might be educational.

Yes that would be a good experiment if and when I have time to run it - I am a little skeptical regarding this break-in so I may sell them outright first. I'll post back regarding what happens. I am curious, though.

#48971 - 03/21/02 09:53 PM Re: Break-in?
Triple J Offline
Gunslinger

Well I have a couple cables hooked up to a carousel player on repeat with 5 CDs loaded, with the output level at max (this player you can control the ouput level). I think I'll let it go 48 hours.

Can somebody who knows tell me, does it matter that the cables are just hanging off the back of the player? (just dangling, they are not attached to anything)

So the electrons are being run through the interconnect, which is all that is needed, right?

So, the cables are not driving (attached to) anything else - does it matter?

(sorry if this is dumb but the whole concept of break-in is kinda mysterious to me)

#48972 - 03/22/02 12:40 AM Re: Break-in?
csbsju Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Triple J,
If the cables are still available for sale, please let me know. My email address is csbsjuedu@hotmail.com. Thank you.
PD

#48973 - 03/22/02 01:20 AM Re: Break-in?
C_Sader Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Metairie, LA, USA
Here's a quick electronics lesson. If the interconnects are attached to the CD player at one end and nothing at the other, then you have an open circuit and NO current flows, which means the electrons are not moving through the cable. One way to look at the situation is the open circuit (the ends of the cable that are dangling) appears to be an infinite amount of impedance, and electrons don't like infinite impedance, so they don't move. Anyway hook those cables up to an input on something and good luck.

Quote:
Originally posted by Triple J:
Can somebody who knows tell me, does it matter that the cables are just hanging off the back of the player? (just dangling, they are not attached to anything)

So the electrons are being run through the interconnect, which is all that is needed, right?

So, the cables are not driving (attached to) anything else - does it matter?

#48974 - 03/22/02 01:50 AM Re: Break-in?
Triple J Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by C_Sader:
Here's a quick electronics lesson. If the interconnects are attached to the CD player at one end and nothing at the other, then you have an open circuit and NO current flows, which means the electrons are not moving through the cable. One way to look at the situation is the open circuit (the ends of the cable that are dangling) appears to be an infinite amount of impedance, and electrons don't like infinite impedance, so they don't move. Anyway hook those cables up to an input on something and good luck.

Thanks for the info. To continue with this line of questioning - if I hook the cables up to my preamp but leave the preamp off, will there be impedance for which to break in the cables. Or do I need to have the preamp on. Thanks for your patience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts