I've read through most of the postings about interconnects and sound quality, but there are other reasons to invest in good cables. One is the security of the mating between the component and the external signal carrier. And, a second is the "first do no harm" rule. These may (or may not) enhance overall sound quality, but they can lead to the carefree enjoyment of the overall system.

Locking connectors can give the listener some assurance that trips to the snakes' nest at the back of his or her A/V investment will not be as frequent as with less aggressively designed connectors.

The "no harm" comment refers to the preservation of the signal as it travels from one component to the next. Shielding, flexibility and overall cable integrity protect the signal along the transmission path.

My concern is whether the assemblage of parts into a well manufactured product can preserve what a component delivers to its backplane. I will pay as much as necessary to ensure the signal moves through the system with as little degradation a possible. This isn't a blank check, but a thoughtful consideration of what is available to me.

If I were to make a pitch for one cable over another, I would stress the more obvious features: high quality connectors, good dielectric material, positive and sturdy wire-to-connector bonding and the price being asked for these uncompromisable elements. (Oh, the wire is important to; microscopic fracture analysis just doesn't help me.)

Is signal "A" esthetically more pure than "B"? I really don't care. But, does it pop, click, hum, buzz or vary in volume? Do the connectors come loose, fall off or short out? Does the wire/connector solder joint fatique over time? These are my criteria for cable quality.

The Outlaws have delivered more for the money would suggest in the 1050. So, if their cables are no better than their chief rivals, then I can buy them, comfortable in believing I will get, at least equal quality for less money.

I'll let the folks that know the metalurgy debate the finer points.

------------------